• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trapped and terrified!!!

Emma, I wanted to wish you the best also. Your mind can indeed be your worst enemy in how it conjurs up images of dental horror possibilities. You have overcome so much and I hope you feel so very proud of yourself for doing so! :) Maybe it would help if you wrote down or even recorded if you have a tape recorder positive affirmations of your last visits? Basically so you could "hear" that on such and such a day you had x procedure done and the dentist was great and you made it through just fine. It really is all about trust both in the dentist but I think as I've found more in yourself to take back control and the power of dental fear. Yes, believe me I know, this is easier said than done! I did it, and so can you my friend. :)

Hug,
Mona

I am very new to this forum but am truly sympathtic towards your situation. I noticed that you wrote this thread in March, please let me know how everything turned out. I need to know that there is hope for people like you. I am very similar. I just need to know it is possible for me to go to a "dentist" (and I use this term very loosely), and walk out feeling good. Please tell me something positive. I look forward to hearing your story.

Hi Again
I was thinking what if I asked my dentist if when I do see hygienist ( she is going to be assisting when i have iv so i will meet her then) he could do the injections for me before i go see her I would feel better with that my mum had a very painful cleaning experience ( nhs) and its put me off i know its not yet though.

I really do get this one Emma. It was a bad cleaning experience (not UK) which caused me to post on this board...I had been so used to painfree dental appts (NHS and private) for over 30 years that it came as a real shock, it gave me flashbacks to my bad filling experience in 1970s (just as back then I failed to defend myself even though now an adult) and made me realise I had always been dentally anxious without really realising it.

I too felt that I only ever wanted a dentist I liked and trusted to do cleaning for me after that, but what I have since found out is, so long as you have a hygienist you like and trust they really do a better job at a cheaper cost.
I have never even needed or wanted LA...but for a 'deep clean' it would be normal to use it. I would have thought the dentist would have been the one providing it if required although some hygienists are qualified to give LA. The gels work well too according to Gordon so that might be the route they suggest.
As Letsconnect says you should discuss it with him and take it from there.
Good luck although I don't expect you'll really need it.
:grouphug:

Hi guys
Im back again. Well all went brilliantly as always!! Had a big filling in the very tooth mr mean dentist hurt me with before and I didn't feel a thing at all its all fixed and looks great!!
When I first got to the surgery I told him why I was worried and he said he knew and to relax did i trust him ( definate yes) He gave me the gel and la and sat talking to me while we waited he had his 13 yr old son in the room who was on a "take yr child to work day" He wants to be a dentist too and I was more than happy to let him sit in if he ends up as good a dentist as his dad is then us phobics will all be better for it!!
When I was numb he drilled out all the bad stuff he made sure to stay well clear of my bad teeth and showed me what he was doing with a camera and this tv thing it was so cool it really helped me understand how it works!! Then he said he was putting a white filling in cause when hes done they will all be white which is what i wanted. I had no problems and left feeling great another one done and im back again on wednesday for another one I also paid for my teeth whitening ( most painful the cost I mean :)) because now I have got my thing to aim for and I cant wait I finally feel like im going up the hill!!
Then my dentist said he needed to tell me something ( me thinking oh god what) and he said that the filling that was in the tooth he just sorted was bad underneath and had not been done well in fact he said it was a real cowboy job !! Mr bloody devil dentist who caused me endless pain that day had botched it any bloody way im fuming so angry now!!
Anyway glad its done another one down guys white teeth im coming!!
Grahamdee - Next week when im feeling really scared about my iv I will apologize in advance you make me feel so much better and i think it will be you i keep turning too for reassurance!!!! the nightmares have already started!
Brit - im glad someone else understands about the hygienist thing it sounds like nothing just a clean but it freaks me!!!
Love and hugs everyone:grouphug:
Emma ( Partially, maybe recovering dental phobic!!!)

Well done Emma on getting through your filling appointment. Hope your IV appointment goes as well. Keep in touch.

Great job Emma! You made it thru with flying colors...
Congrats!

That's fantastic, Emma :yay: - congratulations yet again!!!

It's really good to hear that your dentist's son is interested in following in his dad's footsteps :thumbsup: - I'm sure he'll make a great dentist! Fair play to you for letting him sit in :)!

That's fantastic, Emma :yay: - congratulations yet again!!!

It's really good to hear that your dentist's son is interested in following in his dad's footsteps :thumbsup: - I'm sure he'll make a great dentist! Fair play to you for letting him sit in :)!

Glad to hear it went well.:jump: :party: :sleepyjuice:..it was very brave to let his son sit in...hope he doesn't go home and tell his Mum that Dad flirts with the lady patients lol.:grouphug:

Hi
Well im off back to the dentist tomorow morning and something strange is happening so far im not even nervous!!!! It wont last but I actually think that as long as its my dentist im seeing im ok. Still not good about iv but im trying not to think about it.
Brit - His son is so nice just like his dad and I didn't realize his wife is practice manager too its a real family joint he owns it!! Also I forgot to mention my nurse is called Laura and i actually kind of like her she still keeps her distance but she always says hello and takes my bag im getting used to her so thats good!!
Anyway thanks everyone I cant believe ive had 2 fillings he even said hes going to have a go at doing 2 in one go when i have my bottom one done cause I will be numb and the teeth are next to each other think thats a good idea.
One thing has anyone else noticed that when you are numb at the front it takes about 3 hours to wear off but when yr numb at the back it was wearing off within an hour after I left is that normal?
emma:grouphug:

Hi Emma - sorry I didn't get to say CONGRATULATIONS sooner, but it was a long holiday weekend here in Canada and my husband and I went to Montreal.

WOW - I'm so impressed with you! What happened to that terrified little girl who was paralyzed with fear at the very thought of the dentist!! I guess you kicked her to the curb. :jump:

I'm so happy for you that things are going so well, you have made amazing progress, a lot of it is thanks to a fantastic dentist, but a lot of it is your own courage.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is wonderful to hear, Emma! :grouphug:I'm so happy for and proud of you. Cute and very cool about the dentist's son.

Mona

Back