• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth chunk / black inside

B

benito19

one of my lower front canines had a corner chip off 6 or 7 months ago, it was painful but as I have not been to a dentist for a cleaning in 6 years(I am 26 now) I have procrastinated, assuming that I need a multitude of other cavities tended to as well.

There was mild to moderate pain occuring randomly for a few months, which I treated when needed with topical pain gel. About 2 months ago the pain subsided completly(which I assumed was not a good sign, but again with the procrastination, and increased apprehension of a root canal) Today I ate a starburst, and afterwards I noticed a sharp edge on that tooth, upon inspection realizing that a large chunk of it is missing (I would say 1/3) and on the inside of the missing chunk there is a large amount of blackness.

My question is, if there is much decay/tooth death on the inside there, how much of the tooth must remain for a root canal/post to still be plausible? the canine tends to be a narrower tooth near the top to begin with. I hate to ask neurotic questions, just trying to discern if I should prepare myself to go to the dentist and hear that they must remove the tooth, and implant is my only viable option.

-- probably being overly paranoid, but then again I've been out of that dreadful seat for 6 years too long already. -- thank you in advance to anyone who might shed some light on this subject for me.

- Ben

I'm not a dentist so I can't comment on how much tooth you need, but you should get it looked at soon :)

It's probably not as bad as you think. Might just be decay and you might just need a filling or crown.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my molars has over the years been drilled away to almost nothing (so my dentist tells me) and had a lot of problems replacing the filling when it came out. I was told the tooth is more filling than tooth and they can't say how long it will last. I have two long term options for it, either get it crowned (which is what I want) or have it pulled (which I very much don't!!).

To be honest, with that blackness and intermittant pain, I would guess that tooth is about to go 'vital' at sometime and your options will run out. I am not an expert here, but you really need to see a dentist as soon as possible!! It may yet be saved, dentists can do a lot these days.

Leave sweets alone, especially Starbursts or any other toffee-like ones which will pull apart fillings and loose tooth fragments easily. (Been there, done that!!)

Hello,

I know how you feel, i am no dentist but please go and see your dentist, i know how hard it can be when your scared of the dentist, i have the same thing at the moment i have a tooth that has chunks missing from it, the dentist said there is hardle any tooth there i asked him if he could save the tooth by doing root canal and at first willing to do it but then said it would be difficult because there is not much tooth to restore it, i was upset because i dont want to lose the tooth so he put a temporay filling in it untill he does other things, like cleaning gums and see what to do but its looking like he will take it out but i really dont want it as its visible when i smile. My advice would be to go and get it sorted because maybe there is something to do about it, the quicker you get advice from a dentist the more chance of saving it. Good luck x

lol letsconnect, is it naughty to say don't eat sweeties?

Hi
I was in very much the same position as you just wanted to say 4 of mine broke off and my dentist has referred me to have all of them removed he said if i had gone asap when it happened ( was too scared) they could possibly have been saved but now its too late luckily they are all at the back but I wish I had gone sooner believe me !!!
Love emma

If the root is still nice and healthy in the bone, and if there is at least 2 millimetres of root can the dentist can get a crown around, chances are that the tooth is still salvageable. Sometimes one can still try repairing a tooth with less, but the odds of a future restoration failure are greater. One can't tell for sure without looking at the tooth.

lol letsconnect, is it naughty to say don't eat sweeties?

Yep :). Where else are people going to get their five portions of fruit and veg from if not Mars, Snickers, Twix, Dove and Bounty :confused:

Last edited:
Oops lets I had not thought of the adverse effect of sudden withdrawal. Could result in some very malnourished people! ;)

Back