• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Here we go again!

D

drummerswife

Just wanted to post this for everyone. I have another appointment with Dr. Katie this Friday. The plan is to attach the new crown and do some peridontal cleaning on the left side. I have never had this done before so not sure what to expect but thanks to Prince Valium, I hope it will be like the last time when I am not aware of much anyway.
I think its probably a good thing I will be really busy this week so I wont have much time to think about it.

Hi Drummerswife
it goes so quick between dental appointments doesn't it !!! I know yr going to do fine on friday though yr doing brilliant remember you will be in cloud cuckoo land while yr poor husband has to watch i still think hes amazing for that it must be difficult.
How much more work do you need after this do you know yet?
Im sure yr new best friend mr valium will do his job brilliantly again !!
I'll be waiting for the good news as always!!!
Love and hugs
emma :XXLhug:

Thanks so Emma. You are a sweetheart.
How much more work? Well, I need peridontal cleaning all the way around and then after thats done, I have to have 3 teeth extracted by the oral surgeon. And then after that, I get 3 custom made partials.
Thats the restorative work planned.
Dr. Katie said that she would also like to realign both my top and bottom teeth so they are straight. This would involve some orthodontics work. She said I have a fairly small jaw and not only do I have too many teeth but the teeth are large so they are crowded. I also have a significant overbite. However, this is something we will talk about after the restorative work is done.

Good luck on Friday! I know you can do it. You love Dr. Katie, and she'll put you right at ease. Just think of the beautiful smile you'll have afterwards.

PS... Its alot easier to say that to someone who isn't me LOL

Thanks Partino. I appreciate all encouragement.

Hi Drumerswife
If the cleaning is like what i had really thorough while yr numbed up its nothing to worry about i was terrified and didnt recon much to him pulling about but it was in no way painful at the time afterwards my gums didnt bleed when i brushed my teeth for the first time in 8 yrs so it was well worth it!!! You sound like your going to be coming and going to the dentist for quite a while to come just like me oh well suppose by the time we're done we will at least be used to it !!
Love and hugs
emma

Thanks Emma. You made me smile with that one:)
Yes, I think me and Dr. Katie are going to get to know each other really well.

Drummerswife, you, especially, (and your awesome sounding hubby, does he have a brother)? :) will do fantastic. Now that you're over the biggest initial trust hurdle with your dentist, here's to all future only stengthening that feeling. :) You will do great!

Mona

Hi Drummerswife
been checking for updates I really really hope all is going / went well im sure it did im sure right now yr off with the fairies while yr husband does all the worrying for you!!!
Love emma:XXLhug:

Hope all went well and you are sleeping soundly!

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for all your messages. It is about 8:45 am on Saturday as I write this. THe state where I live is in the central time zone. For those of outside the USA, this may give you a reference point.
Yesterday started out a bit scarier than the last two times. First, for some reason, the sedative (Valium) took longer to metabolize or "kick in" than the last two times even though it was the same dosage method and level as the last two times. As a result, I was more alert when my husband came to pick me up than I usually am. I took another 10mg when I got to the office and while we waited for that to metabolize, Dr. Katie came in and greeted me with a hug and told me the plan was to attach the new procelain crown on the damaged tooth she had cleaned out and repaired the last time. Then she was going to so some "deep cleaning" as she called it on the upper right side.
While we waited for the Valimum to kick in, DR. Katie had me swish my mouth with this special mouthwash made of Liodacaine and Mylanta (YUCH!) It was supposed to numb up my gums so the cleaning doesnt hurt. All it really did was numb my tongue which is a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE feeling and makes it hard to spit.
Second, she told her assistant to remove the temporary crown on my tooth. This scared me and I looked and at her "Do you know how to do that?" She smiled and said she does it nearly every day. She then tipped the chair back but she went too far and I got really frigtened. DR. Katie must have been watching because I heard her say "Thats too far, she doesnt like it that way." And DR. Katie fixed it up the way I had it last time.
And then the assistant tried to get the temp crown but it was stuck. She tried about 3 times and she was pulling on my tooth and I started to feel pain and I said "I want DR. Katie" I think it was about that time the Valium finally kicked in and I started falling asleep and I felt DR. Katie's hand on my shoulder saying the temp crown was being stubborn and so she was going to numb my upper right side so she could pry it off. My husband turned on my music for me and then he left. I dont remember the injection and was only vaguely aware of the cleaning that followed. She told my husband later she had to force the temp crown off because it had gotten stuck on the tooth but the new permanent crown went on with no problem and the fit was perfect. The cleaning she said went very well and was much easier than she had expected given this was the first peridonal cleaning I have ever had in my life (Im 47).
The next appointrment is the 28th and Dr. Katie said since the cleaning we did yesterday went so well, she said she thinks she could do peridontal cleaning on the whole left side in preparation for the oral surgeon. Since we discovered my gums are very sensitive and not very responsive to the mouthwash alone, she said she will do both the mouthwash and LA.
We have also changed the meds a bit so hopefully they will kick in sooner.
I will have one more appointment to clean the lower right side and then I go to the oral surgeon for 3 teeth out. YIKES!
Also, yesterday, my husband stayed with me until he could tell I was falling asleep and then he went to the waiting room to watch TV. We had agreed on this ahead of time because I told him I am starting to feel safe enough with DR. Katie that I want to work towards going back by myself.
This morning I looked at my new tooth and its just beautiful! And the rest of my teeth so much better too! The tooth with the crown was missing almost half of it and the way the crown was made, this missing part was filled in so it looks completely whole and natural. Its really pretty and my husband said it will be this way now forever.
Stage One Reconstruction--complete!
Now, its On to Stage Two !

So glad all worked out for you!

Hi drummerswife
:jump::jump::jump:
Wow you did so well just reading your post made me feel nervous I dont like it when things don't go to plan like yr crown getting stuck but you were really brave and did amazingly well!!! I wonder why the med didn't set in as well as last time strange isn't it well I hope the new thing works better !!
Hey guess what looks like we are dental buds cause im going on 28th for my teeth out with iv!!!! We should work out the time difference my appointment is 215 pm.
Its amazing how much better yr teeth are following a clean isn't it they feel amazing!!
Anyway you once again have done amazing im so proud of you you've made me really happy now have a lovely weekend relax!!!
Bet yr husband was glad to go watch tv and for you to be able to let him do that is brill I do that my sister waits in the waiting room cause I want to do this myself!!!
Love and hugs my american friend
Emma:jump::grouphug::XXLhug:

Thank you Emma! YOu are such a sweetheart. AS for the IV, it looks like I will be right behind you on that one! If it wasnt for dR. Katie's reassuring manner, I think I might have really freaked out before the meds kicked in yesterday.

:respect:To you, Drummerswife! And a virtual hug, too. :) I just silently ordered my own temp crown to behave itself until and especially when it comes off on the 28th. You were so very brave and go you for being confident enough to let both Dr. Katie (was she watching her assistant to make sure she could handle the removal or just there to offer you support)? and her assistant know enough was quite enough and you wanted to Dr. Katie to takeover as it maybe sounds like she should have done in the beginning.

Anyway, I just wanted to add in my congrats to you. :)

Hope you do indeed enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Mona

Thanks Mona. I dpnt think I would have been quite so frightened if my meds had kicked in but they hadnt yet so I was virually unmedicated which not a good thing. And no way would I let the assistant dp anything except I knew Dr. Katie was right there. I feel safe with her.

:) Very welcome Drummerswife. It's fantastic how comfortable you feel with Dr. Katie. On a sort of related note, last week the dental assistant was the one who took crown impressions and adjusted it (dentist did the final, final fitting) but I admit to being a little wary of her doing so as opposed to him, despite my liking her very much as a person. It luckily went all right aside from the few minute discomfort of the final impression but I definitely hear you in preferring to be treated my someone who you have had positive experience with!

Mona

hi drummerswife
just read yr post about finding a female oral surgeon where you are. Over hear your dentist refers you to the oral surgeon in my case yes its a man do you have to find yr own oral surgeon? Sorry its difficult to understand can Dr Katie not refer you to a good oral surgeon if she knows a good one then im sure you would be ok even if it was a man ( just in case you absolutely cant find a female one i understand why you'd prefer a woman) its very confusing how all this works isn't it !!! How long after you find an oral surgeon do you have to wait for yr appointment i had to wait 7 weeks in total.
Hope yr ok talking about this dont want to upset you
love emma:XXLhug:

Re: Would you believe?!

On Wednesday of this week I am going to Dr. Katie's office to have whats called a panaramic x-ray taken because the oral surgeon will need it.
And I am going in there completely un-medicated!!
I am told this is very simple and takes only 2-3 minutes. Stil, I cant believe I am doing this with no meds and I am actually okay with that. 2 months ago I couldnt even walk in the door without drugs! And I had to be thoughly sedated for my first set of x-rays.
Wow

Panoramic x-rays are great! Sure beats the old fashioned x-rays where you have to bite down on whatever it is they use. I think my panoramic x-ray took about 30 seconds. It was the easiest thing I have ever had done since I've been there. You will do great!

I live in Illinois...too bad we weren't closer because I had a pretty good oral surgeon who was a male and he made me feel so at ease...To top it off he tried to keep me calm and laughing at the same time. He was full of jokes. It made the extractions I had done so much easier to get thru.