Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose crown for many years!

Default Loose crown for many years!

Hello
      I've had a loose crown (upper molar near the front) for many years and had an extraction next to it about 20 years ago. (I'm 40).
      The crown came out about 6 years ago, and had a crown plus post in one unit when it came out- hardly any tooth left. I took it to the dentist who stuck it back in, and it got loose again, but not so much that it really bothered me, and I go to the dentist every six months.
      He has always said he wouldn't interfere with it - it would come out naturally.
      Its now very loose indeed, and driving me a bit bonkers as it simply won't come out. I've prepared myself for the fact that I will probably need an implant, but also been told there is not enough bone (probably) so I can get an implant beside where the original crown was going to be but would still have a gap albeit further back.
      I'm getting married in 4 months and wanted to get it sorted for vanity reasons! I was told now by 2 dentists they don't want to deal with it.
      I'm depressed about 2 things - one, I'm living with this shaky crown that simply won't budge (have tried to but don't want to hurt myself!). It wobbles about like mad but still seems really stuck.
      Secondly - do I really need to live with some kind of gap forever? Its hurt my confidence for many years and finally would like to pay to sort that side of my mouth completely. It seems that because I had an extraction many years ago beside the crown my teeth have moved so there will always be some kind of gap.
      Any advice?

Default Re: Loose crown for many years!

Implant technology is always improving, you may well find that you're a candidate now.

I can't understand your dentist leaving a loose crown in place, don't know what ZZZ and Mike think, but I think you'd be opening yourself up to a world of hurt if it came loose and the patient inhaled it...

Inhaled it??
      Do you mean swallowed it?

Isnt a bridge possible?

Yep. I wouldn't worry about it if you only swallowed it, it would turn up again later

Hi thanks for these
      basically my usual dentist said that he did not want to interfere with it as by tugging it etc it could fracture the bone.
      I can't understand why its so wobbly but won't come out.
      My temptation is to use temporary cement on it just to firm it a little so it doesnt drive me too insane. But it won't budge and as I said dentist number two doenst want to interfere with it either.
      I don't think a bridge is possible as once this crown is out the gap would be too big and some teeth have moved.
      Is temporary cement a good idea as long as I give the crown/surrounding area a really good clean?

If a crown is really loose but simply won't come out - I've tried and the dentist has tried - what is the best thing to do?
      Most of the time I'm fine with it but it occassionally gets sore around the gumline although I'm fastidious about flossing etc and usually a good clean and some corsodyl gel sorts it out. I told my dentist that when it feels really loose and I'm going away for the weekend for example I'll use some temporary cement around it (obviously it won't come out to fill it) which seems to work ok for a while and stop it driving me mad!
      Its just been like this for years - rocks about but won't come out - any thoughts?

Crown remover. Remove it in about 30 secs... I really can't see what the dentists are faffing about here.

DIY job, try a really sticky toffee. Bite into the toffee with the crown and the opposing tooth, then open your mouth with a "snap" as fast as you can, probably the crown will come out in the toffee.

I think a change of dentist might help (don't really fancy the toffee suggestion, lol )
      There's an App for That!

Mobile Apps are available for this forum. Please click on the following links to get yours:

iPhone/iPod Touch

Android Devices

Again I think it might be a fracture issue and I don't want to be left with a big gap but I know it will have to be dealt with sometime! But that is now two dentists who have said they don't want to interfere with it. Definetly not doing the toffee thing!