Thread: Toothache, dentist can't find anything wrong.

Default Toothache, dentist can't find anything wrong.

Hi all.
      What a great forum, wondering if any of you can help me.
      I am suffering from constant toothache in one of my front teeth. Not on the floor banging fists toothache, but about 5/10.
      No pain killers work at all. This started 4 days ago, and started to get worse. 2 days ago got a dental appointment, with my dentist, who is usually excellent.
      She did all the test - x-rays, cold tests, tapping, through examination and could find nothing wrong at all and was baffled.
      I explained I had been stressed lately and she pressed on the upper inside of of mouth and that really hurt. She thinks I'm clenching/grinding in my sleep and causing this pain.
      Going to tomorrow to get impressions for a splint to wear at night, to protect my teeth. Now aplogies for being cynical but how can clenching just affect one tooth, especially as that one tooth does not meet another, my bite is out and the pain has been getting worse this weekend, now probably at a 7/10.
      Doubly worried as I go on holiday in 7 days, help!

Default Re: Toothache, dentist can't find anything wrong.

Yes, that happens to me all the time as well. I have very sensitive teeth, that sensodyne doesn't even work for. And I also grind my teeth at night, and end up with mysterious tooth pain that can't be 'fixed". You can also be feeling the effects of the "tapping" that she did to your tooth, have your tried Liquid Adult Strength Cherry Tylenol? It works like a charm. Also salt water rinses help me out in a pinch. Interesting about the upper inside of your mouth, do you mean the roof of your mouth? I often get that pain too. Do you have sinus problems? I sure do, and they aggravate my teeth as well. Anyways I hope you find out your answer and get relief soon. Take Care.

Thanks for your advice dan.

Don't really suffer from sinus problems. Pain is getting worse now, luckily got a dental appointment to get my splint impressions today and am going to tell her.

When I said it hurth on the roof of my mouth, I mean between my cheek and gums at the top. When she pressed on here eithier side there was a lot of sharp pain.

I just can't understand why it's this one tooth kicking off, that's at the front, and does not meet any other teeth.

Well Update. as this site has helped me a lot.

Because the pain was getting so bored, dentist decided to take the nerve out of the tooth. When she got in half the nerve was already dead so it was a snatch to have RCT on it and the nerve has now gone. The good thing is there was no infection...yet.

Going back on Wednesday to have the canal filled.

Hopefully will sette down now.

Glad things worked out! Do you know why the nerve died? Had you damaged that tooth at some point or did it have a deep filling? It's scary to me that nothing showed up on the films because I also have a tooth bothering me a bit that the dentist said looked fine. What happened to you is what I'm afraid of happening to me.

Hi Greenwood,

Well the nerve just started to die on it own for no reason.

There was no decay, no trauma, nothing. Nothing even showed up on the x-ray

It wasn't even sensitive to cold or heat really. Just that the nerve was half dead and super sensitised. It had been tripping the last few months and had come and go, but this time wouldn't go.