• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New and very scared

S

scared_louis

HI
I had alot of bad experiences a a child, but persisted in going to the dentist. That was up to about 4 years ago. in 2006 I lower molar broke, basically it was mostly filling but it left half a molar. stupidly I left it and had an abcess. After antibiotics this cleared up and I left it.
The remaining tooth became loose sometime later and came out after some persistant wiggling from me, leaving the root. The gum healed over.

A couple of days ago I was eating some chocolate and whilst chewing I forgot about it and a hazelnut was forced down onto the mentioned gap. The gum decided to cause a huuuuuge amount of pain and became swollen again. I know I probably have an abcess again.

My breath smells terrible and also the flappy bit over the gum is still soft.

Last time when I had so much pain with this I went to the emergency dentist at a hospital and sat on the edge of the chair and allowed him to visually look before giving me painkillers and antibiotics to clear the abscess.

I am so scared about going to have any teeth pulled, possibly two. I know I have to but cannot see a way forward. I am in BUPA, is there anyway I could have treatment being knocked out, then they could have a look at wht else needs doing (especially cleaning them - not nice due to smoking and excessive coffee)

Please help

Scared_louis:hidesbehindsofa:

Hello scared_louis:

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

You have found a great place filled with answers, support and stories of people facing similar issues that went from tragedy to triumph.

Childhood trauma can have lingering effects long into adulthood. You are not alone. Millions of people deal with dental phobia, please do not be embarrassed or ashamed. Today, dentists do not scold or judge you based upon the condition of your teeth. They want to help you be pain free and improve your health.

In regard to you teeth. First, extractions of broken teeth are usually the simplest of dental procedures. They can be done within a couple of minutes. The new anesthetics are amazing and you will not feel anything from start to finish.

Dental techniques have improved immensely over the past few years. Dentistry can be painless and there are many options to help you deal with the dental fear.

Your first visit with the dentist will be a consult to look at options. You are in control. You are not a child anymore. The trauma you faced in the past does not have to rule your life.

I am speaking from experience as I had poor dental experiences as a child. I understand the fear. But you can overcome it. I am happy to do whatever I can to help you.

By coming to this forum and posting you are taking the first steps to changing your life and disarming the fear. This first step is the hardest. It takes a lot of courage to make it. You are doing the right thing.

I am encouraging you to get the tooth looked at by someone, either a dentist or GP to see if you need antibiotics. It is hard to make decisions when you are in pain.

I promise you that you will be OK. If you want to chat PM me.

Blessings :)

Check out the extent of your BUPA dental cover with BUPA since there are lots of different plans (especially employer schemes)...they may well cover you for wisdom tooth extraction under GA in hospital unless their policies have changed.

Last edited:
Back