• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Has anyone had their wisdom teeth out after age 40?

I had 2 wisdom teeth removed last year, but the molars in front of them had been removed when I was young, so the wisdom teeth had moved up and away from the nerves.

I did a lot of research about nerve damage too. While it might be true that people only write about the bad stuff, I tend to think that nerve damage is more prevalent than most dentists want to admit. When I asked my OS if he had patients with nerve damage, he replied smugly "of course I do..I'm an oral surgeon, but most of it goes away within 6 months". Hmmm... that wasn't very comforting to me.

All you have to do is read the desperation in some of the posts written by someone with nerve damage, and it becomes quite apparent that nerve damage is not something anyone would want to live with for the rest of their lives.

Of course, only you can make the decision that is best for you, but I'd give long thought to keeping the wisdom teeth until they give you trouble...and then proceed as necessary.

hi new to this how do you start a new post please

Okay, I have decided to get a second opinion on this. I found an oral surgeon in another city about 60 miles away and his credentials are pretty impressive. He's been in private practice for about 12 years and he seems to be fairly conservative with patients over 35. Here's what his website says:

"For those patients over the age of 35, prophylactic removal is generally not recommended. This means that we do not remove wisdom teeth above this age just to prevent problems that may occur in the future. The reason for this is clear: at this age complications of surgery begin to outweigh the benefits of removal. As we age, the risks and complications of surgery increases, and our ability to tolerate the surgery decreases. So if you don’t have your wisdom teeth out by the age of 35, they are merely observed unless a problem occurs. We do of course remove them if there is an associated disease process or pain."

The patient coordinator assured me that he would give an honest assessment of what he thinks I should do given my age and what he sees on the panoramic. My consultation is tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited:
rdm - I am in awe of that Oral Surgeon. Good for him!!!!! Shows he's not just in it for the cash.

I am so interested in how this appt. goes and what this doc has to say. Please, please let us know after your appt. tomorrow, I'll be on the edge of my chair tomorrow awaiting your post.

Good luck with the appt, and I hope you get a really good feeling from this doctor, but it sure sounds likes he is one of the good ones.

All the best to you rdm, I hope when you leave you will have a really good feeling as to what needs to be done so you can stop worrying and guessing. That is the worst.

Well, I'm back from my consultation for a second opinion. First of all, the OS was a super nice guy who put me at ease right away. He thought it was great that I was getting a second opinion and didn't seem to care in the least that he wouldn't be doing the surgery. He did a thorough examination of my gums and teeth and we discussed the history of some of the molars and that would come into play for his final recommendation. Then he went to the panoramic x-ray and said we would do risk vs. benefit for each tooth.

Both top wisdom teeth he said looked very comfortable where they were, no pathology, and that I had a very high likelyhood that I could keep them for life and never have any problems with them. He said of course there could always be a cyst or tumor associated with them but that it would be rare, so continued monitoring for them is all I need.

With the bottom teeth he did note the "pocketing" that the other dentists have expressed concern with. That is a disease process and worst case scenario is that I would eventually lose the second molars in front of them. By removing the wisdom teeth we could stop that process and save them. Then we looked at the wisdoms in relation to the nerve. Just like I knew from the CT scan I had, the bottom left tooth is laying right on the nerve. My bottom wisdom teeth are laying horizontally so there is no root entangled but the entire tooth is on the nerve. He said maybe 15% chance of temporary numbness and less than 1% chance of anything permanent if he removed it. However, the second molar in front of it is a tooth that is living on borrowed time. Last fall I had a crown on it that came loose and had a dentist tell me it was so far gone it would need to be extracted. I got a second opinion and my current dentist was able to cut back enough of the gum so that he could seat a crown on it. But he called it "dental heroics" that he was able to save it. So, that is a tooth that I probably won't have for the rest of my life anyway. Therefore, because of that, and the fact that the wisdom tooth is on the nerve he said to just leave it. He said when I eventually lose the second molar the wisdom tooth will start moving up and away from the nerve and in fact would be easier to extract and less risky. The bottom right wisdom he said it should be taken out. Also horizontal, it is separated from the nerve, which I could clearly see on the x-ray and he agreed with my other OS that it really would be low risk to take out. He also said that the fact that I am having the first molar removed on that side it could cause problems with it pushing into my second molar (which is a much better tooth than the other side) which would be trying to fill up the empty space. So, his recommendation is the benefit outweighs the risk and to have it removed.

So, I guess that is what I'm going to do. I've now had a dentist and two OS's recommend that the lower right tooth be extracted and the surgeons agree it would be low risk. I hope they are right. Still, I'm scared out of my wits to have it done but I guess I'll go through with it.

Last edited:
Hi rdm,

Well if nothing else, you must feel very comfortable with all these consultations and knowing that any decision you make is EXTREMELY informed, that is also the way I like to operate. Full disclosure!

Are your top wisdom teeth impacted? My husband's are, but they look fine - straight as can be and not pressing on any other teeth. They still insisted he should have them out, but I was never sure why. Interesting that this surgeon said it was OK to leave them, that would also be my feeling.

I just showed my husband your email, and he is so impressed with this surgeon!! So unlike the experience he had. But his situation sounds very similar to yours, so we would like to keep posted on your progress. At some point my husband may have to seek out another surgeon, and your information has already helped.

Weren't you initially planning to have all four removed? Now it sounds like just the one - at least for now? Sounds like a pretty wise decision to me. Are you going to tell your other OS that you got a second opinion? Do you think he will be upset? Would you consider having the second one do the surgery instead? He just sounds like such an awesome OS!!

Thanks for the update, both my husband and I really appreciate it and would like to continue to hear how you are doing.

But overall, I hope you are a bit more at peace now.

All the best to you, and I'm so glad you came on and posted. :)

Hi Leela-

My top wisdom teeth are totally impacted. If it wasn't for the x-rays I wouldn't even know that they existed. They look like they are in there vertically and, of course, the roots extend into the sinus cavity. This surgeon's philosophy is that, after age 35, there has to be a real reason to extract wisdom teeth. Since there's no disease or pain involved with them then they should be left alone. I have a co-worker who just told me the other day that his 56 year old father recently went to an oral surgeon to have a cyst removed from the inside of his face and while there he got talked into having his upper impacted wisdom teeth removed. Like mine, they extended into the sinus and now every time he takes a drink of something liquid comes out of his nose. They told him it would be temporary but it's been happening for over a week now and he said he was sorry he had it done.

Yes, originally my treatment plan called for all four wisdoms and a lower first molar removed and then I backed out. I don't think I'm going to tell my other surgeon about the second opinion. I'll just say that this is all I want to do for now and then never go back again for the others. And as much as I would like to use the second surgeon, I'm going to use the one I was originally referred to. For one thing, he has a working relationship with my dentist and they work as a team for the whole implant process. And really, he is just as nice of a guy as the second doctor, very easy going, not rushed and willing to answer any question I had. Unfortunately, I was so ignorant during the consultation I really didn't have any questions. Mostly all I asked about was the implant process. To back up a bit, my 16 year old daughter had her wisdom teeth removed by him back in March. That was the first time I had ever heard about possible nerve damage with wisdom teeth. But he had told my wife in the consultation that it would be very low risk and that he did this every day and from he saw it was just not going to happen. What I didn't know is that just applied to teenagers. I never realized that it would be so much more risk for a 42 year old. Sure, it would take me longer to bounce back but I figured I had about the same amount of nerve damage risk as my daughter had. So, since I had only one night before the consultation, all my internet research had been about the implants. Only after the consultation did I realize just how bad it might be. I think he just has a slightly different philosophy about removing wisdom teeth. He normally cuts off around age 40, instead of 35, but it's not set in stone, and since I am relatively healthy he thought it would be okay. I have talked to several people who work in other area dentist offices and all say that this guy is very, very good, and the best surgeon in our area. He is board certified and has 19 years experience doing these extractions. Plus, he has those CT scan results and knows EXACTLY where that nerve is. You'll like this, I even checked our state's court records to see if there had been any malpractice suits against him. All I could find is some small claims stuff where he is the plaintiff trying to collect debt. I try to leave no stone unturned. Now, I do have a 13 year old son, and he WILL get his wisdom teeth removed in a few years but who knows, maybe we'll end up taking him to the second guy.

You'll like this, I even checked our state's court records to see if there had been any malpractice suits against him. All I could find is some small claims stuff where he is the plaintiff trying to collect debt. I try to leave no stone unturned. Now, I do have a 13 year old son, and he WILL get his wisdom teeth removed in a few years but who knows, maybe we'll end up taking him to the second guy.

You are right, I LOVE THIS. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how much I've learned from your experience so far. Looking back now, I can't believe we just headed in for surgery with no consultation and hardly any info. I had actually looked up some info and was aware of the possibility of nerve damage, but had not realized how serious it was. But it really shows you have to go with your gut feeling - and mine was all wrong about this situation with my husband. The dentist gave him no information, and when I told her I had looked up some info she told me not to tell my husband so as not to "worry him unnecessarily", that the surgeon would "go over it with him". That did not leave a good feeling in my stomach, but I took the advice. I felt like I had to prod it out of the OS five minutes before my husband was to be prepped for surgery. I'm sure at some point they would have had him sign a waiver, but I'm still in awe that people are just showing up for wisdom teeth removal with no consultation first!!!!!!!!!! Ridiculous.

You sound like you have two fantastic surgeons on your side though and have done all the research and investigation possible to make an informed decision.

Do you have any idea when you might get this done?

I think a lot of dentists do what you are talking about when they're not doing the surgery. Mine didn't mention anything specific at all about risks, just that it's harder on older people, thus a cut off age at 40. They know that it's the surgeons responsibility to discuss risks. And mine did do that but indicated that it would be low, which I falsely interpreted to be the same as my daughter's risk. If my daughter hadn't just had it done then I might have asked a lot more about nerve damage. In fact, I know I would have. But even the second surgeon told me, "Look, I do this every day, and I'm telling you that nerve damage is rare, and anything permanent is really rare". He was more worried about me having jaw pain. He said my jaw muscles are really strong and suspects that I am a "grinder or clencher" either during the day or at night (and he is exactly right, I do that) and my big jaw muscles are going to be really sore for awhile. I feel like I'm going to be paying money to have someone assault me but hopefully it will turn out okay in the end.

As for when I'm going to do this I'm not sure. It boils down to my wife's schedule. I know she is leaving on a trip next week for her job and will be gone for several days so it will be sometime in June when I get this done.

Just wanted to chime in here. I am 47 and scheduled for 3 extractions in a couple weeks. The last two teeth on the upper left side and the last one on the lower left, All three are fully erupted with one being a wisdom. Removal has been decided on because the teeth are decayed and too large for the space which is causing crowding issues. My demtist has told me mine is not a complicated case and she is sending me to OS chiefly so I can have IV sedation because my dental phobia is so bad.
I will be having a consult with OS shortly.
As far as the diabetic argumemt goes, my hisband is a Tyoe 1 diabetic and has had all kinds of procedures done on his teeth including oral surgery and hes just fine.

Just another thought. I had major surgery almost 3 years ago and the surgeron outllined all the risks and possible complications and it scared the hell out of me. I think they always have to give you all the everything that could possibly ever happen, Its like my husband was saying the other day about the information they give on medications that list all the possible complications. Some of it sounds really frightening.
WEll, I had the surgery and I came through just fine.
And yet I completely understand your concern. I am worried about my extractions too!

Hi! I joined this site. I know this is a pretty old thread, but I have the same problem that it regards. I am 43 and have been advised, and scheduled, to have all 4 of my impacted wisdoms removed, along with the bottom 2nd molars, as the bottom wisdom teeth have, over time, eroded into the roots of those molars. I don't know if anyone from this thread is still on this site, but I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could let me know their outcomes of surgery, especially concerning the top roots being close to the nasal passage, and lingering nerve damage or numbness from the bottom teeth. Thanks!!!

And if so, what was your experience like?

I am 42 and still have all four of my wisdom teeth and all are full bony impactions.

I had my four wisdom teeth out last year, age 40, with absolutely zero complications. I'm healthy and have no other issues and I didn't go under :) I highly recommend the staying awake part- kind of interesting and scientific to watch what they do and you don't end up nauseated and groggy. They numb you up 100%. My bottom ones were a much longer healing time than my upper ones but that was because they were full bony impactions whereas the uppers were hanging down. However, from what I heard from others, I healed as fast if not faster than teenagers. Don't despair- if you go to an excellent oral surgeon, it doesn't have to be the end of the world to get them out later in life!

43 and had all 4 pulled a week and two days ago. Left bottom is still swollen and hurts. The rest seem fine. My tongue is also still numb with a little burning sensation on that side. I thought this would be over in 5 days or so.

Pain over the last couple of days has been intense at night. Waking up to take hot showers and popping ibuprofen. My left cheek also hurts like it was cut during surgery. I was knocked out for the surgery.

I'm interested in the numbness from others in my age group. Thanks to the poster who spoke about it. I'm also concerned not all the swelling has gone down yet.

43 and had all 4 pulled a week and two days ago. Left bottom is still swollen and hurts. The rest seem fine. My tongue is also still numb with a little burning sensation on that side. I thought this would be over in 5 days or so.

Pain over the last couple of days has been intense at night. Waking up to take hot showers and popping ibuprofen. My left cheek also hurts like it was cut during surgery. I was knocked out for the surgery.

I'm interested in the numbness from others in my age group. Thanks to the poster who spoke about it. I'm also concerned not all the swelling has gone down yet.

Tongue is no longer numb. Left side still swollen some, right side fine. It has been two weeks and two days.

If I run my finger along the gum line, my right side is normal. If I run my finger on the left side I hit two semi painful bumps on that side on both the top and bottom near the extraction points.

Tongue is no longer numb. Left side still swollen some, right side fine. It has been two weeks and two days.

If I run my finger along the gum line, my right side is normal. If I run my finger on the left side I hit two semi painful bumps on that side on both the top and bottom near the extraction points.

Hi found this message chain this morning right before going to have 2 wisdom teeth extracted. I am 44, and for many years ignored advice on the wisdom teeth until one is now symptomatic. Over the years I probably got 4 OS opinions because I'm uncomfortable with invasive procedures and never had one before especially with anethesia. One OS I got the CT scan to show the nerve was not in the way. Was quite nervous about IV sedation and after effects. Finally decided to do it after hearing the same opinion over and over. Went in this morning and just returned home. Things apparently went fine - i had no clue what went on. I was done in little over an hour. Left side still numb. Not profuse bleeding. Have not eaten anything. Totally lucid. Just resting now. I'll try to log in and share more as I recover. Would have liked to hear if RDM actually had his surgery.

Hi found this message chain this morning right before going to have 2 wisdom teeth extracted. I am 44, and for many years ignored advice on the wisdom teeth until one is now symptomatic. Over the years I probably got 4 OS opinions because I'm uncomfortable with invasive procedures and never had one before especially with anethesia. One OS I got the CT scan to show the nerve was not in the way. Was quite nervous about IV sedation and after effects. Finally decided to do it after hearing the same opinion over and over. Went in this morning and just returned home. Things apparently went fine - i had no clue what went on. I was done in little over an hour. Left side still numb. Not profuse bleeding. Have not eaten anything. Totally lucid. Just resting now. I'll try to log in and share more as I recover. Would have liked to hear if RDM actually had his surgery.

Now 1 week and 2 days after the surgery. Fairly smooth ride so far. Some residual tightness in the area and a dull pain pops up with stress -- I wonder if it is the jaw nerve which has been known to tighten in stressful times even without surgery. Taking an ibuprofen makes it go away. Length between dosing of ibuprofen is now well over 24 hours -- I started with every 8 hours on the day of surgery and gradually tapered. Turns out I bit my lip while numb and that is still healing, as well as the cracked lip when the surgeon stretched open my mouth. Had some bad breath for a few days, but religious salt water rinses has helped calm that down. Been able to resume some normal foods, but still keeping to soft things. Lost some weight too -- yippee!

Hi I am glad that you are healing well, thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience :butterfly:

there may be some foods that will give you a more varied diet until you are properly healed.

Hi Wookie, after I posted that last message in this thread I started a new one about my extraction here.

My ordeal seems to be over as far as pain. I'll recap that thread here.

StingRay said:
I originaly posted in the support section on a thread asking questions of people over 40 that had their WT pulled.

This was my original post at one week and two days.

This is my post after two weeks and two days.

I did go back in for a follow-up three days ago but my oral surgeon literally spent five minutes with me and told me everything was normal and it looked like I was healing great. He discounted the fact that I still had swelling at two weeks as normal.

My question is about the lumps and pain still on the left side. Reading I keep seeing that these lumps are filled with puss and need to be drained. The lumps are very hard right on the gum line by the extraction points on the left top and bottom. The same side that still has the pain.

I also read that the lumps were normal on another site and that they would go down on their own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also the pain along my jaw goes up to my temple. Like a massive headache.

StingRay said:
You know, when your scared or think something is wrong a lot of people turn to the internet to see if others have experienced the same. What I have found all over the place is people coming to post their questions and fears about their problems. Then nothing...

I was so freaked out reading threads all over the net about permanent nerve damage to the tongue after experiencing burning sensation and tingling in my tongue a week after surgery. It has pretty much subsided after two weeks.

So, I'm going to make sure I update this post when I'm all better. I have read many threads about prolonged swelling but nobody comes back to say they are all better. So, i'll have to assume they're better or dead.. Not a good feeling when you feel sick.

I joined this site after reading a thread of a person asking about wisdom teeth extraction at a older age. I'm thinking that my troubles and prolonged swelling might have to do with being over 40 while younger people seem to bounce back quickly.

I'll update at three weeks. Still hoping someone can reassure me about the hard lumps.

StingRay said:
A little update.

After I posted on the 6th, I called the dentist to talk about the pain and issues again. I was prescribed Clindamycin 300mg for possible infection. At the time of surgery I was given Amoxicillian and used it all up as prescribed.

Also, I developed all these canker sores inside on my cheeks that caused much of the pain that I was feeling on the cheeks in my earlier post. The Ibuprofen wasn't helping so I took a half teaspoon of olive oil and mixed it with four/five drops of clove oil and placed it on the inside cheek and near the lumps. I was able to sleep through the night. I'm usually skeptical of home remedies I see posted on the net but it really dulled the pain for me.

It is now five days into taking the clindamcycin and I just noticed a big reduction in pain, soreness in opening mouth and feeling like a lot of the pressure in my face has been relieved. The pain was running all the way up to my ears and temple. I have five more days of taking the antibiotic.

I still have pain but it is now more managable and about what I thought I would be feeling at the end of the first week.

The hard lumps are still there and hurt to touch them.

StingRay said:
Well, It's February and most of my mouth feels great. I have had pain on that left lower side since October. When you rub that check it still hurts. Yesterday a large jagged piece made it to the top on that side. Bone or part of the tooth, don't know. I guess that explains the pain and still little swollen since October.

Should I try to pull this piece out or will it come out on its own?

StingRay said:
Well, it came out! Not a tooth, I'm guessing bone. If you cut your big toenail off that's what it looks like. U shaped and as big as my toenail would be. The swelling is all gone after coming out and my face has no more pressure that I have been feeling for months.

Now I am concerned about this piece that came out of my mouth.

Seems I had a toenail size piece of bone break at the time of extraction which caused my pain to continue for 4 months

Hi Stingray,

Decided to login at the spur of the moment and saw your recent update. I'll do the same and say after 3 months, things are fine. No tightness, no pain, brushing and eating normally for a while now. Just now have to contend with a big cavity at the base of the tooth in front, which is one reason the wisdom tooth was removed - to provide a endodontis/periodontis access to the tooth in front to see what work it needs.

Hope all continues well with you

Back