Thread: Dry socket/infection?

Default Dry socket/infection?

I had my extractions last Wednesday. Saturday night and yesterday, I felt awful...slight fever and chills. Last night, I had a salty taste in my mouth, and when I looked, one of the sockets was bleeding again. There was never a white covering on that hole, but today there is. I have burning type pain and feel cr*ppy again today...hot and cold, but not bleeding. Could I have an infection?

Default Re: Dry socket/infection?

Might be a dry socket by the sounds of it. Try squirting some Chlorhexidine mouthrinse in it to get out any debris and see if that helps.
      --
      Despite appearances to the contrary, Gordon has been a qualified dentist for over thirty years.

Thanks Gordon. I will try that.

Hi...well I went back today for a check up. I don't have dry socket, but I am really feeling awful, like I am fighting an infection. I am in pain and swollen...the entire left side of my face. He wanted to give me Augmentin, but due to the fact that I do not have RX coverage, and that is extremely $$$, he opted to give me Tetracycline to see if that will help. I am really hoping it does the trick, because I can not take much more of this. I go back in a week for my partial and hopefully everything will be settled down by then. He said that if it doesn't get better, or if it gets any worse that I need to call him. I am not fond of that option, as his receptionists are not the friendliest bunch.

Just want to give you guys an update.

Aww, you poor thing.

Fingers crossed you are feeling better soon.

Pars
      Follow us on Twitter.. ! http://twitter.com/Kent_Dentist

Thanks. This is really never ending isn't it :-/ At least I don't have dry socket. Although at least then he could have done something to take away the pain :'(

in the same boat as you freakout, got my extraction done on friday and my gum/neighbour of tooth is still throbbing. I called the dentist, she said it will be sore for quite a while..its the injections and the extraction done thats causing the pain. She told me to rinse my mouth occasionally with hot water with salt in it..maybe you should give it a try? Might help u

Thanks Rocky *Actually I had an infection and the socket started healing, trapping the infection. Now I am on heavy duty antibiotics and starting to feel a bit better. I have had many other extractions and salt water really does help alot though.