• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Scared about my appointment...

M

mta00jtl

I haven't been to the dentist for some years now and have really developed an irrational fear. When I was younger I had to have tooth extractions and braces which, thanks to the dentist being what I would politely call insensitive, was a much more scary ordeal than it needed to be.

Never-the-less I kept going to the dentist regularly every 6 months for regular check ups after my teeth were fixed and gradually got better with things. Then when I was about 18 the dentist said I'd probably need my wisdom teeth out - I said I would rather wait to see how they develop before taking that step. I'm now 28 and my wisdom teeth have all come through fairly ok and I haven't (touchwood!) had any discomfort from them but the thought of going back in and being told the worst has stopped me from going to the dentist as much as I probably should.

Well in the last couple of days I've had a bit of toothache - I can't tell which tooth but I don't think it's my wisdom tooth. I had a filling once which didn't bother me at all to be honest and I think its there - I've bitten the bullet and booked a dentist appointed for today and quite frankly I'm bricking it! I'm scared they'll find all sorts wrong in addition to the toothache and I'll spend the next 6 months sat in a chair being prodded and worst case having teeth pulled!

I'll post again once the appointment is over to let you know how it's all gone but if anyone does chance a read of this in the next couple of hours and wants to reassure me that I'm being daft then that would be great! I'm expecting the worst so I'm sure it won't be as bad as I'm thinking...here's hoping!

Just wanted to say that I hope all went well. Here's hoping that the toothache is just a matter of clenching at night or something that is more easily remedied. Keep us posted on how you got on and whether your dentist was supportive with regard to your fear!

How did you choose your dentist? Finding a dentist you like and trust is the best way of making attending 'no big deal'. Even if they do say you should remove your wisdom teeth, it is still up to you whether you do and when you do..same for any treatment.
There is a tendency to remove wisdom teeth 'just in case' in USA and Canada compared to UK but you have the ultimate say and you can always get a second opinion if you have any doubts about any recommended treatment.
Hope it went well.

Hi and welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine - I saw my wisdom teeth coming through at around 18 and didn't go back until recently (age 30) because I was so scared of being told I needed them out. Even though I have now been told I need them out, I am glad I went back as the check up, cleaning and small fillings I had to have weren't nearly as bad as I was fearing, and I feel like I am now much better able to handle wisdom tooth extraction this than I was at a very young age. I'm going back for my first follow up cleaning and check-up appointment in less than two weeks, and at that point I'm going to find out more about my wisdom teeth and get a referral to the oral surgeon.

All the best with your appointment and let us know how you go and how your wisdom teeth are doing. I'm sure you will do great!

Back