Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain after crown preparation

Default Pain after crown preparation

My tooth was prepped yesterday for a crown - root canal was not needed. The moment the anesthetic wore off I experienced an intense tooth-ache which is still present, although it has lessoned a little. Biting on the temp crown is too painful. My only experience prior to this is having root canal first. Is it normal to feel this pain and how long can I expect it to last?
      Last edited by esseff; 21st May 2009 at 11:36.

Default Re: Pain after crown preparation

Sounds like the temp crown may be leaking a bit. I'd give your dentist a call.

Thanks for that Gordon.

I was wondering what you mean by leaking?
      Last edited by esseff; 22nd May 2009 at 09:15.

Not sealed sufficiently therefore allowing stuff to leak through into the tooth underneath.

I went back to the dentist as you suggested. He did mention leakage and chose to apply a fluoride treatment to deal with the sensitivity. I'm just not sure about this decision though. I'm in constant pain - not terrible but it's always there, a sort of throbbing around the jaw where the muscle is, spreading up to the ear. I can't bite on anything like a firm pear or an apple as I get a sharp pain on the left side of the tooth, but I can eat softer or pre-chewed food without this pain. By the time I've finished eating, even if I've been really careful, the pain has turned into a proper toothache, and stays that way for about 20 - 30 minutes until slowly returning to this lesser background throb. It never goes away completely.

I know it's only been 4 days since the tooth was prepared, and I should expect some settling down to occur, but would these symptoms indicate something more, like a small crack in the tooth for instance, or is it too soon to tell? If I let room temperature water touch it I get a sharp sensitivity pain on the left side. Is this the nerve getting inflamed during chewing causing sensitivity, or sensitivity inflaming the nerve causing it to be painful when biting? I'm just really worried that I'll end up having the crown put on only to discover that the biting/toothache pain doesn't go away and I need a root canal. Wouldn't it be better to find this out before the crown is fitted? Wouldn't the crown be compromised if it has to be done afterwards?
      Last edited by esseff; 23rd May 2009 at 09:36.

Thanks for sharing that Annie.

I just recently had a crown done for the first time. The tooth it was done on had quite a bit of decay that had to be cleaned out but dentist said no root canal was needed for which I was grateful. The temp was applied and I had no problems when the LA wore off except for a slight sensotivity which lasted only broeftly. Howevger, like you chewing was difficult so I didnt. THe biggest problem I had was when it came to put on the new CRown because dentist could not get the temp off! It was stuck tight and she had to drill it off. The new crown fit perfectly and when the LA wore off, tooth was a bit sensitive fir a day or two but then fine.

It hasn't got any easier. I'm still unable to bite down as I get a sharp pain. I'm taking painkillers regularly (400 mg Ibuprofen + 1000 mg Paracetamol), yet they're not taking away the pain completely. I'm also waking up during the night needing more. The Crown won't be fitted until July 4th (unless a cancellation arises after June 8th). Shouldn't there be some sign of things settling down by now? I can put up with heightened sensitivity, I can even put up with some pain on biting, but living with constant pain/toothache, and it's been almost a week, is getting really difficult. I don't know what to do.
      Last edited by esseff; 26th May 2009 at 13:42.

I think that because you've been having pain for so long you should go back to your dentist (or a different dentist if your's isn't available until July) and get some checks done to the tooth. Sometimes after having a tooth prepared for a crown you can need a root canal and this might be what's causing you pain.

Default Could there be an infection?

I did go back and he removed some of the excess cement from between the crown and tooth next to it. A day later it settled down and for the following 10 days I had no more problems with it. Then, a few days ago I started to get an ache again. I still have no problems eating on it - no pain when I bite down, etc, although I do get quite a bit of blood if I carefully use dental floss - the white cord goes completely red, but it isn't painful to do so. I doesn't feel like the nerve as it will settle down from time to time, especially at night after taking pain killers. But the symptoms keep coming back. Could an infection have gotten in which is causing the nerve to flare up like this?
      Last edited by esseff; 11th June 2009 at 14:55.