• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Re: wisdom teeth with i/v sedation piece of cake

Do you know how they kept all the blood during the surgery from going down your throat? Did they just use one of those spit sucker things like they have at the regular dentists office?

There should be minimal blood during and after the tooth is taken out and yes, the nurse will most likely use suction to remove any immediate residues.

There will be nothing in quantity that will affect your swallowing mechanism, so do not worry.

Re: Getting wisdom teeth pulled this friday

Hello I have panic disorder and have suffered with such for 4 years now.
I just had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed this Wednesday under Local Anesthesia and IV Sedation.

Believe me if your one to panic or this is your first time. IV Sedation is the way to go!! They actually put stuff in your IV to come your panics down. You are not "put to sleep". You are breathing on your own and everything you just are so relaxed you just wanted to close your eyes and rest.

I had my surgery this Wednesday and I was so nervous I had 3 serious panic attacks before I made it to the doctor. I thought I was actually going to back out. But I knew there were more benefits to getting it done, so I tried to calm myself down and just did it.

This is what happend. They called my name, I walked with the assistant to the room, she sat me down. Doctor walked in. He sat down. They put a oxygen tube on my nose (that was nice) and then he strayed this cold wet stuff on my hand before he gave me the IV. (helps pain). I felt NOTHING.
Then he injected the stuff in the IV and all I felt was really calm. Remember the doctor saying "well you have you heart rate up a little, but not too bad so lets start". I remember them talking to each other and they put a cloth over my face with a whole around the mouth so they could work. Felt them place something on my mouth to hold it open during the surgery.
Felt 1 maybe 2 pinches in my mouth where they were putting in the Local Anesthesia. They had 2 more shots to do to numb me up...but I was so relaxed by that point that I wanted to sleep. I was told I didn't, but I don't remember nothing after that up a cold pack around my face and the nurse assistant trying to help me up and taking me to recovery. I walked on my own and everything.

I am a real controlling person when it comes to worrying about whether others will take care of if I don't know what's going on myself. But if you get your teeth out and very scare. I HIGHLY SUGGEST not to use just Local Anesthesia because that is just the shots to numb and you will feel that and you hear everything and you will panic. To add the IV Sedation is a MIRACLE.

I had such a wonderful experience on IV Sedation that I wish everything I had a panic attack I could have someone shoot me with that stuff to calm me down. I'm on day 3 after surgery and I can tell you this. Surgery was a PIECE OF CAKE. I would let my doctor do that again 100 times over if he wanted to. The Recovery is the harest part. No of it is painful if you follow your doctors suggestion. The worst part is keeping up with your med's every 4 to 6 hours even over night. And making sure you eat a little bit each time with them so you dont' get sick. Everything else has been GREAT!!!

So glad I trusted in my doctor and got this taken care of.
He sugguested IV Sedation since I have panic disorder and he was OH SO RIGHT!

Great experience.

Hope your experiences are great.
If you decided on IV Sedation......please don't panic or get nervous.
Because your really wasting your time and energy on nothing. It is really and truly a piece of cake. It's harder to write out a check for my mortage than what I had to deal with in surgery. And my doctor even had complications with my teeth that took him 30 minutes longer...but I no clue because it felt like 3 minutes. I was in recovery for 45 minutes more...but that felt like 2 minutes.

Kristie:thumbsup:

I have to have IV for the first time soon and I suffer from the same things as you say you do. Thank you for your story as it really is helping me stay calm, which isn't easy because it's the unknown.

Hello I have panic disorder and have suffered with such for 4 years now.
I just had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed this Wednesday under Local Anesthesia and IV Sedation.

Believe me if your one to panic or this is your first time. IV Sedation is the way to go!! They actually put stuff in your IV to come your panics down. You are not "put to sleep". You are breathing on your own and everything you just are so relaxed you just wanted to close your eyes and rest.

I had my surgery this Wednesday and I was so nervous I had 3 serious panic attacks before I made it to the doctor. I thought I was actually going to back out. But I knew there were more benefits to getting it done, so I tried to calm myself down and just did it.

This is what happend. They called my name, I walked with the assistant to the room, she sat me down. Doctor walked in. He sat down. They put a oxygen tube on my nose (that was nice) and then he strayed this cold wet stuff on my hand before he gave me the IV. (helps pain). I felt NOTHING.
Then he injected the stuff in the IV and all I felt was really calm. Remember the doctor saying "well you have you heart rate up a little, but not too bad so lets start". I remember them talking to each other and they put a cloth over my face with a whole around the mouth so they could work. Felt them place something on my mouth to hold it open during the surgery.
Felt 1 maybe 2 pinches in my mouth where they were putting in the Local Anesthesia. They had 2 more shots to do to numb me up...but I was so relaxed by that point that I wanted to sleep. I was told I didn't, but I don't remember nothing after that up a cold pack around my face and the nurse assistant trying to help me up and taking me to recovery. I walked on my own and everything.

I am a real controlling person when it comes to worrying about whether others will take care of if I don't know what's going on myself. But if you get your teeth out and very scare. I HIGHLY SUGGEST not to use just Local Anesthesia because that is just the shots to numb and you will feel that and you hear everything and you will panic. To add the IV Sedation is a MIRACLE.

I had such a wonderful experience on IV Sedation that I wish everything I had a panic attack I could have someone shoot me with that stuff to calm me down. I'm on day 3 after surgery and I can tell you this. Surgery was a PIECE OF CAKE. I would let my doctor do that again 100 times over if he wanted to. The Recovery is the harest part. No of it is painful if you follow your doctors suggestion. The worst part is keeping up with your med's every 4 to 6 hours even over night. And making sure you eat a little bit each time with them so you dont' get sick. Everything else has been GREAT!!!

So glad I trusted in my doctor and got this taken care of.
He sugguested IV Sedation since I have panic disorder and he was OH SO RIGHT!

Great experience.

Hope your experiences are great.
If you decided on IV Sedation......please don't panic or get nervous.
Because your really wasting your time and energy on nothing. It is really and truly a piece of cake. It's harder to write out a check for my mortage than what I had to deal with in surgery. And my doctor even had complications with my teeth that took him 30 minutes longer...but I no clue because it felt like 3 minutes. I was in recovery for 45 minutes more...but that felt like 2 minutes.

Kristie:thumbsup:
Thank you for your post. I am having a wisdom tooth removed with iv sedation in July. I am just wondering how long before I will be my normal self afterwards. I am only having one tooth out.

Back