• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long have you lived with toothache for before getting it sorted?

How long have you lived with toothache for?

• < 4 weeks

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • > 4 weeks, <6 Months

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • >6 Months, <1 Years

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • > 1 Years, <2 Years

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • > 2 Years, <5 Years

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • > 5 Years

Votes: 22 30.6%

• Total voters
G

GeorgeMaier

This is a poll question.

I had terrible tooth ache and still get it and not out of my choice, i did got to a dentist who never treated my teeth properly, leaving them to get worse.

I'm very ashamed to say I finally had my first root canal yesterday on a tooth that has hurt since the crown was put on, two YEARS ago! My dentist kept telling me I'd have to have a root canal, but I just couldn't bear it! My fear and anxiety were too much so I lived with chewing on one side of my mouth only. When the cold/hot became too much to even eat soup or salad, and had me longinly looking at ice cream, I broke down and found a "gentle" endodontic dentist. I'm so happy I did. He really took my anxiety seriously, I mean, I didn't take care of this for two years, I was a committed phobic patient. Please contact me if you are living with pain like that. I can tell you what he helped do for/with me to calm me down.

I still have a tooth that is very sensitive to cold that has a large filling in it. It has been that way for over a year too and I have yet to mention it to my dentist.:whistle:

Thanks for all your input. I was just wondering. Im 15 now, and last year i had a tooth sorted that had been hurting for 8 years. It was decayed right down into the root. It was infected for a few months before it finally got fixed.

I will tolerate toothache until it becomes so excrutiating I can't function - can't work, can't sleep, can't have a waking moment without crying in agony. That's when I call the dentist. I have exposed roots and gingivitis, sometimes it gets infected, I have had teeth break, absess, all ignored.

As short a time as possible! I've only ever had one REAL toothache, from an abscess. The pain was unbearable and I was at the first dentist's office I could find the next day. I did find that my 'tmj' magically disappeared after I had my back teeth pulled - I'd put up with it for years because I didn't think there was anything to be done about it.

I think about 2 very long weeks at one time. I was in so much freaking pain, both sides, but i still refused to go to a dentist or doctor since this was in the middle of the whole "severe dental phobia" thing. the pain was so bad that even rotating heat and ice PLUS rotating 2 otc pain killers weren't really putting much of a dent in pain. Unless i was asleep, i was hurting.

Reflecting back on it, it had to be my stinking wisdom teeth coming in. I had those yanked with my dental work last year but those went since there was no saving them. 3 busted at or below to gum and the other was in bad shape.

Even though I don't like going to the dentist I will go as soon as possible, like I am having to do as I found out during an urgent appointment I had to make. I had a dental appointment the week before for a cleaning and checkup .I need a filling which has been causing pain and a she will also like to do a small filling somewhere else.

I don't want any more root canals unless I have to, the one I had in 2006 was bad enough but was a different dentist and he has left the practice years ago.

I will never avoid going to the dentist for checkups and I don't want to get serious dental work doing (crowns, dentures, teeth taken out) also important dental infections.

Last edited:
Back