Thread: dental crown too tight?

Default dental crown too tight?

Should a dental crown be tight at first than settle in? I had my crown put in today and it feels pretty tight. So tight that you can't floss in between. My DDS says that tight is good and that things should settle down in a few days. Is this true? I'm supposed to see her in 5 days so she can check my bite and see how things are going with it.

Default Re: dental crown too tight?

I had three crowns put on at the same time on the three back teeth on the lower-right side. They all felt really tight when she seated them, but she said pretty much the same thing your DDS told you, that they would settle and feel better in a few days.
      They did.
      I think I stopped noticing the tight feeling by the next morning. And after a few days of gently trying to floss between them, then that became easier too.
      Now (six months later) flossing between them feels that same as flossing between any of the other teeth.

So give it some time, and see how it feels after a few days.

Cheers,
      Mark

Quote Originally Posted by callmeMark View Post
      I had three crowns put on at the same time on the three back teeth on the lower-right side. They all felt really tight when she seated them, but she said pretty much the same thing your DDS told you, that they would settle and feel better in a few days.
      They did.
      I think I stopped noticing the tight feeling by the next morning. And after a few days of gently trying to floss between them, then that became easier too.
      Now (six months later) flossing between them feels that same as flossing between any of the other teeth.

So give it some time, and see how it feels after a few days.

Cheers,
      Mark
      Mark-
      Thank you so much! I will sleep easier tonight with this bit of advice. I think I was just a bit worried that this tightness would actually cause my teeth to shift. After years of braces in my teens, this was the last thing I needed.

I have had a crown on an upper molar for a little over a week now. Mine only felt way too tight when the dentist was fitting it, though, every now and then, I can tell it's there a little bit more. As for flossing, as far as I know, and lol, dental wise that's not much, you are supposed to be able to floss on both sides of the tooth? If the crown really is that tight/bothering you tight, definitely go have it checked/adjusted. My guess is like Mark said after not too long you truly won't even know it's there.

Good luck

Mona
      "Never think you don't have the power to overcome your fear and accomplish something wonderful!" Shared by fellow forum member Cherio45.

Having a little bit of Gorgonzola with crackers!

I might be a bit concerned when you say that the crown contacts are so tight that you cannot floss the tooth. You might try some waxed floss or different varieties to see whether you can get something past the contact. It's usually best to floss the tooth to remove things like plaque, food debris, cement/resin remnants, etc. It might loosen up over time, and then again it might not. I suppose you could give it some time to see if there's any improvement, but if not, you might want to see what the dentist can do.
      Cheese, Gromit, where's the Cheeeese???