• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

dental crown too tight?

B

[email protected]

Should a dental crown be tight at first than settle in? I had my crown put in today and it feels pretty tight. So tight that you can't floss in between. My DDS says that tight is good and that things should settle down in a few days. Is this true? I'm supposed to see her in 5 days so she can check my bite and see how things are going with it.

I have had a crown on an upper molar for a little over a week now. Mine only felt way too tight when the dentist was fitting it, though, every now and then, I can tell it's there a little bit more. As for flossing, as far as I know, and lol, dental wise that's not much, you are supposed to be able to floss on both sides of the tooth? If the crown really is that tight/bothering you tight, definitely go have it checked/adjusted.

Good luck :)

Mona

I might be a bit concerned when you say that the crown contacts are so tight that you cannot floss the tooth. :( You might try some waxed floss or different varieties to see whether you can get something past the contact. It's usually best to floss the tooth to remove things like plaque, food debris, cement/resin remnants, etc. It might loosen up over time, and then again it might not. I suppose you could give it some time to see if there's any improvement, but if not, you might want to see what the dentist can do.

Hi. Am having the same problem. Crowns have gaps at bottom and teeth too high. The throbbing is truly painful. This has been going on since may and no improvement. I have requested 5 be re-done as I have never experienced pain like this. My dentist seems oblivious but in all my years I have never had a single problem with one or multiple crowns with my other dentist. What can I do?

Hi. Am having the same problem. Crowns have gaps at bottom and teeth too high. The throbbing is truly painful. This has been going on since may and no improvement. I have requested 5 be re-done as I have never experienced pain like this. My dentist seems oblivious but in all my years I have never had a single problem with one or multiple crowns with my other dentist. What can I do?

Crown too high- go get it adjusted no big deal
Crowns have gaps at bottom_ ? what do you mean? Bottom of tooth at margin?, bottom of tooth where food touches? gaps between teeth?

Crown too high- go get it adjusted no big deal
Crowns have gaps at bottom_ ? what do you mean? Bottom of tooth at margin?, bottom of tooth where food touches? gaps between teeth?

There are small gaps between the crown and gum on some and those are very sensitive. They felt high when they went in and I have asked the dentist to either replace or fix them on every visit but he just smiles and does nothing.
this is all repair work after being with a truly bad dentist and has been a nightmare.
the teeth feel like a vice so chewing or biting hurts.
as my teeth had natural gaps and these do not I know they have been made too tight. I cannot even touch the top of the bottom teeth as it causes some pain andpretty much every tooth he has worked on be it fillings or root canal has just been a disaster. This man has a brilliant reputation, lectures and teaches at the main dental hospital. Maybe talking not doing are his skills?

i am very nervous now of him taking out a broken molar that is deep into the gum as I have osteoporosis. I have not had one visit without pain or one day without pain but he just smiles!

never been frightened of dental work but now am not at all happy.

i will have one last go at getting the teeth corrected but 8-9 requests, emails and texts between visits is madness.

change dentist if there is that many problems and you are being ignored

You should probably change a dentist. Brilliant accolades and reputation mean little if at the end of the day, he is not able to meet your needs or even listen to your concerns and address them.

You should probably change a dentist. Brilliant accolades and reputation mean little if at the end of the day, he is not able to meet your needs or even listen to your concerns and address them.

I was an NHS patient. To be sure I would get better treatment, although there are good NHS dentists out there, just sadly disappearing. This treatment has cost me 10,000.
i have no more money to have them re-done at another dentist.
seems I am stuck!
thanks for your concern and responses

Back