Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye tooth extraction

Default Eye tooth extraction

Hey ive got a appointment to get my eye tooth surgically removed. I had a long talk with my dentist and said there will be consequences to getting it extracted rather then getting braces. He says that tooth supports alot and the teeth around could become misaligned or crooked over time. Im having the tooth removed because it is crowded and misaligned. He said i will have to be put to sleep to have it done. Is this procedure pretty painful and what kind of pain medication will i be given. Also i have a unrelated script for valium and would it be ok for me to take some. Sorry for all the questions but i have yet to talk to the surgeon or have a appointment to. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Eye tooth extraction

hello castaway, and welcome to the forum.

When you say you are " being put to sleep" do you mean a G/A in hospital or Iv sedation?

I had both my eye teeth removed under Iv sedation and had no problems afterwards. ( i took ibuprofen before the numbness wore off) Hopefully , it should be the same for you.

As for taking valium prior to the appt, it is possible to take a small dose eg 2.5 mg just to take the edge off your anxiety, but ONLY IF YOUR DENTIST HAS AGREED. It is important that you discuss this with your dentist beforehand.

Good luck with your appt.
      Not such a lost cause after all :-)

Am sorry i dont want to hijack someone elses post but what is an eye tooth exactly?

well done dentist hater I was just going to ask that !!!
      emma

I think that's a canine (tooth right below the eye) and yes, as far as I know those teeth are very important and any dentist will advocate keeping it for as long as one can.

iv sedation is what i mean, Im completly terrified of needles and its going to take a hell of a lot more than 2.5 mg of valium to calm me down

bump

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dentistry...extraction.htm

Having read the above, I don't think you should do this lightly. If there are better options, you should seriously consider those instead.

Needle phobia can be overcome...dental anaesthesia can be given comfortably so that is not the main issue i.m.v....whether it is a good long term move, is the issue.
      It's the 21st Century.......dentistry can and should be painless but we patients come unstuck because all dentists are not created equal

Ya may not be the best long term option but im 20 years old and im not getting braces. The slight change in facial structure does worry me, how much are we talking about? Im having this done tommowow so dont have a whole lot more time to think about it.

lol btw isnt Amy Winehouse missing a eye tooth? I dont notice and facial differences on that side of her face, just the same old looking vampire.