• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Eye tooth extraction

C

Cast away

Hey ive got a appointment to get my eye tooth surgically removed. I had a long talk with my dentist and said there will be consequences to getting it extracted rather then getting braces. He says that tooth supports alot and the teeth around could become misaligned or crooked over time. Im having the tooth removed because it is crowded and misaligned. He said i will have to be put to sleep to have it done. Is this procedure pretty painful and what kind of pain medication will i be given. Also i have a unrelated script for valium and would it be ok for me to take some. Sorry for all the questions but i have yet to talk to the surgeon or have a appointment to. Any help would be appreciated.

hello castaway, and welcome to the forum.

When you say you are " being put to sleep" do you mean a G/A in hospital or Iv sedation?

I had both my eye teeth removed under Iv sedation and had no problems afterwards. ( i took ibuprofen before the numbness wore off) Hopefully , it should be the same for you.

As for taking valium prior to the appt, it is possible to take a small dose eg 2.5 mg just to take the edge off your anxiety, but ONLY IF YOUR DENTIST HAS AGREED. It is important that you discuss this with your dentist beforehand.

Good luck with your appt.

Am sorry i dont want to hijack someone elses post but what is an eye tooth exactly?

well done dentist hater I was just going to ask that !!!
emma

I think that's a canine (tooth right below the eye) and yes, as far as I know those teeth are very important and any dentist will advocate keeping it for as long as one can.

iv sedation is what i mean, Im completly terrified of needles and its going to take a hell of a lot more than 2.5 mg of valium to calm me down

[broken link removed]

Having read the above, I don't think you should do this lightly. If there are better options, you should seriously consider those instead.

Needle phobia can be overcome...dental anaesthesia can be given comfortably so that is not the main issue i.m.v....whether it is a good long term move, is the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya may not be the best long term option but im 20 years old and im not getting braces. The slight change in facial structure does worry me, how much are we talking about? Im having this done tommowow so dont have a whole lot more time to think about it.

lol btw isnt Amy Winehouse missing a eye tooth? I dont notice and facial differences on that side of her face, just the same old looking vampire.

If it were me, I would cancel the appointment at the last minute and think about it longer. Braces are a pain, for sure, but 20 is not too old. I had them when I was 11 and will be going for a second round in my mid 30's. I'm just waiting on getting my first permanent teaching contract and on getting my phobia in check. It certainly sounds like the canines are more important than your average tooth. That said, I understand why you'd want to pull it instead of thousands of dollars and two years of annoyance. If you do go through with it, I wish you the best. I'm sure the procedure will be fine. You'll be in lala land the whole time. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

how long do you think ill be out of work after this? Will i be ok the next day?

No idea..probably not that long. It is extremely common in UK for adults to wear braces...why do you have a particular problem with it at age 20?

What's the rush to make a decision anyway..are you in any pain?
It might be best to find an orthodontist you like first and decide based on two dentists' points of view, because one thing for sure you can't put the tooth back.

i dont live in the uk. After the amy winehouse comment everybody thinks you live in the uk lol.

It doesn't much matter where you live though. I live in Canada and there are loads of people here in their 20's and 30's with braces. I'm sure it's the same everywhere. That said, when I was 19 and going off to Uni, I could have had braces under my parents coverage. I wasn't ready. I was too body conscious and moving someplace new. It has taken me 10 years to get ready. Now I wish I had done it then, lol!

Well i just got out about 4 hours ago and everything went well. They had to give me more benzodiazepines in the iv than usual. But i was knocked out shortly. The nurse told me i would be out of it all day but i feel 100% normal now. Hardly any pain. They gave me loratab 7.5/500 which could be helping me feel better then i really am, but that was over 3 hours ago when i took it so it should be wearing down by now.

i dont live in the uk. After the amy winehouse comment everybody thinks you live in the uk lol.

Err no just pointing out that where I am from it is not unusual for adults to wear braces..no doubt this is a worldwide phenomenon. I am far too old to care 'two hoots' about Amy Winehouse and co;).

Glad to hear it went well for you.

Hey ive got a appointment to get my eye tooth surgically removed. I had a long talk with my dentist and said there will be consequences to getting it extracted rather then getting braces. He says that tooth supports alot and the teeth around could become misaligned or crooked over time. Im having the tooth removed because it is crowded and misaligned. He said i will have to be put to sleep to have it done. Is this procedure pretty painful and what kind of pain medication will i be given. Also i have a unrelated script for valium and would it be ok for me to take some. Sorry for all the questions but i have yet to talk to the surgeon or have a appointment to. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi castaway.
I am practically in the same position as you right now and its rattling my brain on what to do. ( Wether to get the eye tooth taken out or getting braces to get it pushed down in line with the rest.)
What did you end up going towards? And did it affect your facial features afterwards if you got the tooth taken out?

I don't think castaway is coming back after 6 years, but eye teeth are important and it's better to have facial symmetry.

Back