• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clove Oil and Dry Socket

M

Margarine4

I have 2 dry sockets from where my wisdom teeth were removed. I had them packed yesterday, and the packing fell out. I went back and had them packed again today and the doctor seems to think this one is going to fall out too because he said the holes are very shallow. He told me not to use the salt water rinses anymore too because that might knock the packing out, and to be really careful eating and drinking.

The pain when it is not packed is horrible. I break into a sweat, shake like crazy, and can't think straight.

I want to know if it would be okay to try clove oil in the sockets instead of going back if the packing falls out. Can I wet a gauze pad with clove oil and put that over the holes? Will I make the blood clot fall off the top extractions by putting gauze over the bottom ones? I'm not sure how to keep clove oil in if I do it myself. I think I might need to clean the holes out too. I don't have one of those syringe things. Would a water pik work if I use really low pressure?

I really need a good home remedy to help. Sometimes it takes me hours before I can get a babysitter for my kids just so I can go to the dentist . . . I can't go through hours and hours of agony again.

Also, how long will it take before I am not in pain without the packing in? I know everyone heals differently, but overall I want to know how long I should expect to be in pain.

Thanks in advance for your help. This site has really been helping me.

from what ive heard of clove oil on here I dont think it's a great idea....

Can you tell me where to look for more info about clove oil? I haven't found anything bad about using it. I know the packing the dr put in has clove oil in it.

Don't do that!!! We don't use clove oil, it's a similar smelling but synthetic substance, pure clove oil will burn the bejasus out of your jaw bone!

Some chlorhexidine mouthwash in your waterpik would be a better idea, just irrigate the area gently. Also rinse with chlorhex a couple of times daily.

Don't do that!!! We don't use clove oil, it's a similar smelling but synthetic substance, pure clove oil will burn the bejasus out of your jaw bone!

Some chlorhexidine mouthwash in your waterpik would be a better idea, just irrigate the area gently. Also rinse with chlorhex a couple of times daily.

Where do you get chlorhexidine? I just bought some Clogate Peroxyl (hydrogen peroxide). Will that work too? It says its an oral wound cleanser?

I went back again today because the packing fell out again. Should I expect to not be in pain again soon when the packing falls out. My teeth were removed a week ago today.

Hi, not sure where you live but if in the U.S. you get it thru your dentist. I use it right now and my dentist gave me a prescription for it.

Chlorhexidine rinse is available at most chemists in the EU, can't you buy it over the counter in the USA?

No, it's prescription-only there (came across this thread while looking for something else and noticed that the question hadn't been answered :)) (for anyone in the UK reading this, chlorhexidine rinse is sold under the name Corsodyl)

Back