• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What should healing of an extraction site look like?

B

bebebryant

Hi, I just had molar 18 removed on Wednesday and its healing ok. It is painful off and on but controlled with meds. I looked at it and I can see a dark red clot but I can see the bottom(or root) of my wisdom tooth next to it. I thought the gum totally seperated teeth but apparently it doesnt. I have been rinsing with salt water 3 times a day and doing everything I am supposed to. Is dry socket unlikely at this point? I just want to make sure that the white thing I see isnt bone, but the other tooth behind it. Its pretty high up. I know this sounds silly, but I am paranoid about dry socket.:( After 4 days how should it be healing and look like? This is the first time I have had this done. I am really scared - any advice would help so much. Thanks.:XXLhug:

Last edited:
At day four things still can look pretty raw and not so pleasant. If you're not having any trouble most likely you won't at this point or in the next few days. Upper teeth rarely ever develop a true dry socket, and the fact that dry sockets occur so infrequently unless you're feeling extra special, I doubt you would be the exception.

Re: Extraction question for zzzzz dentist

Thanks ZZZZ dentist. this is good info for me too as I just had two upper teeth removed 7 days ago. I have two questions of my own. I am still having quite a bit of pain which is bearable with the meds but was wondering how long I can expect this to last and how long does it take for the holes to close up?

hey good question drummerwife i was wondering about the holes closing up too. I had 3 teeth on the top and 1 on the bottom out the top ones are healing now closing up but the bottom one is still a hole no sign of it healing yet either.
how long is it before the holes heal completely?
emma

The amount and duration of pain after an extraction will vary from person to person and tooth to tooth as many variables can be present. Typically after 7 days things should be on the mend with some mild soreness still present. The area can still be tender.

Sockets tend to take anywhere from a month or more to heal up. The gum tends to collapse together or fill over the defect in the meantime. Some people heal quickly while others seem to take longer. 7 days is an average number with some people experiencing pain extended for a few more days. At 1.5 to two weeks the area should be good by then for most people.

You have to imagine the process that the bone undergoes to fill in a space. Osteoclasts and osteoblasts are constantly working away at remodelling bone, but it's does take time especially when one is talking about a sizeable hole in the jaw.

Last edited:
Hi ZzzDentist. I am havinga molar removed on monday and am worried that it won't heal enough in time for my engagement party on the 3rd of July. i wanted to be able to enjoy myself and have a few drinks, and nice food. Will i be able to do this by then?

I would say that most likely you should be fairly okay after 1.5 weeks. You might still want to eat on the other side temporarily as food may get into the socket area which can be annoying. Most people with average type extractions are okay by then.

Back