• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Appointment Thursday and scared stiff!

O

olivacs

New here and scared!

Hi everyone,
I am new on here but have read the forums many times...
Here's my problem..
I had not been to the dentist in well over 10 years. I finally took the plunge when I found one of my teeth have loosened. After my first visit with a great dentist she informed that i would need the front bottom 6 teeth extracted. Needless to say I was devastated. I had the procedure done and a bone graft in that area as well. I was fit with a dental flipper. I am now in the process of scaling being down on the rest of my mouth. Words cannot explain the amount of anxiety i feel when an appointment is coming up. I have stressed myself out so much since my initial visit that i have become obsessed with my mouth. I have begun to look at every single tooth front, back, and side and i find things wrong or freak out if i get a quick pain etc. I have now even bought a dental mirror and have noticed on my top front tooth that on the back of the tooth is a thin brown line that extends from about gum line down 1/4 of the tooth. i have now convinced myself that this is a crack and my tooth will fall out or need to be pulled. I am making myself crazy! I have spent over 2 hours alone today looking at in that mirror and going crazy. I have the remainder of my bottom teeth set to be scaled this week and next week and the dentis says 2 weeks after that is complete we will then do a complete exam tooth by tooth. Wouldn't the periodontist informed if it was indeed a crack on the back of my tooth at the time she did she scaling of that area a week ago? I am besides myself and my family thinks I am nuts! Any insight on how to RELAX and enjoy life instead of losing control? Any insight if my tooth really does have a crack or is it a groove or craze?

New here! Help please

Hi everyone,
I am new on here but have read the forums many times...
Here's my problem..

I had not been to the dentist in well over 10 years. I finally took the plunge when I found one of my teeth have loosened. After my first visit with a great dentist she informed that i would need the front bottom 6 teeth extracted. Needless to say I was devastated. I had the procedure done and a bone graft in that area as well. I was fit with a dental flipper. I am now in the process of scaling being down on the rest of my mouth. Words cannot explain the amount of anxiety i feel when an appointment is coming up. I have stressed myself out so much since my initial visit that i have become obsessed with my mouth. I have begun to look at every single tooth front, back, and side and i find things wrong or freak out if i get a quick pain etc. I have now even bought a dental mirror and have noticed on my top front tooth that on the back of the tooth is a thin brown line that extends from about gum line down 1/4 of the tooth. i have now convinced myself that this is a crack and my tooth will fall out or need to be pulled. I am making myself crazy! I have spent over 2 hours alone today looking at in that mirror and going crazy. I have the remainder of my bottom teeth set to be scaled this week and next week and the dentis says 2 weeks after that is complete we will then do a complete exam tooth by tooth. Wouldn't the periodontist informed if it was indeed a crack on the back of my tooth at the time she did she scaling of that area a week ago? I am besides myself and my family thinks I am nuts! Any insight on how to RELAX and enjoy life instead of losing control? Any insight if my tooth really does have a crack or is it a groove or craze?

Re: New here! Help please

Olivacs, if I can offer a few words of advice.

Firstly, I can understand how you feel. You have had a lot of work done which has left you feeling extremely anxious, nervous and worried that the dentist will say you need more work done. Of course you are scared. But this fear and has created a cycle of obsessive behaviour which has made you paranoid about the state of your teeth, which is why you bought a dental mirror and why you spend all your time checking your own teeth looking for problems.

You need to break this cycle because all you are doing is amplifying your own fears and becoming slightly paranoid about your dental health. First thing I would do is throw away the mirror! If you believe you have a crack in your tooth - make an appointment now and get it looked at and don't rely on what you think (or have "convinced yourself") is there - all you are doing is winding yourself up and making yourself worse. If the periodontist had spotted something wrong, she would have said so - it would probably be negligent not to.

As for relaxation - Firstly, you need to do something positive which takes you away from anything dental. I know you are worried and that is natural, but I don't think you are doing anything constructive by constantly checking your own teeth. Your own fears could cloud your own judgement if there is something there or not. Secondly, you need to put your fears to rest. See a dentist, point out what you think the problems are and get an informed opinion. If he/she says there is nothing there, you must accept that and move onwards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for answering me. I swear I have been at the dentist every few days becaus eI have created these things in my mind and are believing them. They must think I am psycho for calling them every few days to come in. That is why I am trying to hold out on this new found thing I have discovered. I have a scaling appt on Thursday and will mention it then about the tooth in question..
The periodontist seems thorough and caring and I sure hope she would have told me that it was indeed a crack..but who knows.
Just last week I was convinced I chipped my molar and made an appt. It ended up being nothing other than tartar that will be scaled off. (They have me on salt water rinses and peridex).
I am trying to remain calm but so hard. Everything I do I directly relate back to my teeth.
I have lost my appetite and don't want to eat and when I was at the dentist last week she noticed white spots on my tongue, had them tested, and it was just stress. She says I need to stop all of this stress because it will harm me.
I wish I could believe all will be ok...the dentist told me not to worry and wants my scaling done before we exam my teeth so we can get a real clean and clear picture. I am an emotional wreck!
Thanks for replying and listening

Re: New here and scared!

Im not a dentist but if you cant feel it and it isnt hurting then its probably either a craze line or a groove with a bit of staining. I had several areas of staining which i was convinced were cavities but they came off after a trip to the hygenist.

Olivacs, no dentist would ever think of you as a psycho. You are just someone who is very worried about thier teeth and at the prospect of possibly needing more work done. That in itself is good and positive thing - but there is a point where this can turn itself into a bad thing.

I really, really wish I was in a position where I could help you with the stress issue. What I can tell you is, stress is bad. I have had severe stress before and it did make me physically ill and that gradually became depression which left me in an emotionally bad place for a time.

All I can offer is the opionion that perhaps you need to speak to a professional who deals with stress issues. From what you are saying, this sounds like it goes beyond dental problems as "I wish I could believe all will be ok". I only wish I had help when I needed it - or had the option to express myself in forums such as these. Stress can and will ruin your life if it is allowed to run out of control. Please don't let this happen. Perhaps you should consider speaking to your doctor.

I hope you can quickly get the help you need.

Thanks so much for reading what i have to say. IT means more than you know. My family has a history of anxiety and panic attacks on my mother's side and with all that has come about recently I see myself falling in that same category now. I don't want to end up depending on any kind of meds for this though.
I guess the thing that bothers me the most is i keep thinking back to the "what if i had followed with my dental health all along" and "why was i so stupid to let things get this way".

I find myself upset that i had to have the extractions and bone graft and now this stupid flipper. I know I have a lot more that needs to be done and my insurance is done paying for the year the maximum they pay. Whatever else comes up is now out of my own pocket and I am now financially drained from all my stupid bills.

If only I could relax and get over all this behavior and stress I feel...I am out of control and have to stop looking in my mirror at my teeth every 5 minutes. I hate it!

Thanks for your reply. The thing that concerns me is why did the person who scaled my teeth not remove the stain or tell me if it were indeed a crack.

Thank you so much for taking the time for the nice message. The more I tlak to people themore thy tell me that what I went thru happened so fast that Idid not have time to deal with it emotionally. Now that the first part of my dental journey is over it has not begun to hit hard. I really wish this cycle would end soon becaus eI can barely function at work or home and am now on day 2 without eating a single thing. I try to reassure myself and even managed last night to take my dog to the park and play ball with him for a bit to get my mind off of things but then....its right back home to what i feel.

Well my next appt is Thursday for another quad of deep cleaning and I am already beyond nervous. A few week back my dentist also told me the quads remaining at the botom may have 2 questionable teeth that are a bit mobile and if scaling doesn't tighten them up, they may need extractions. SO now I worry about that too..
A viscious cycle thay I am living...

I really do think we are very much alike! Your problem with obsessing over your teeth in a mirror sounds just like me. I have a hand held mirror that I use to do my eyebrows, and I always pop my mouth open and check inside too. I have forbid myself to do that anymore and it is really hard to resist the urge but I've done good so far. I figured since I'm now seeing a professional every 6 months I should behave like a "normal" person and stop trying to explore my own teeth! I still look at my mouth in the work bathroom mirror- I need to stop doing that too. Oh, and you need to take your little dental mirror and throw it away!!!!! Those things will only make you even more stressed as you can see everything inside your mouth. I know exactly what you mean when you say everything you do relates directly back to your teeth. STOP using the mirrors!!!! (easier said than done, I know!)

As far as your possible crack goes, I've been there, done that! I found a thin black line on a molar (between the molar and a newly placed filling) that I swore was a crack. I made an emergency dental appointment and it turns out it was just a stain. I am certain yours is too because I get them on the backs of my front teeth too.

I have anxiety problems in my family too and its scary seeing myself heading down the same road. So far I only have 2 major anxiety issues- dentists and vomiting, but it's scary to think they could get out of hand or my anxiety could spread to other parts of my life. To prepare for my babies birth, I'm taking a hypnobirthing course and I just started it today but so far it seems to help relax my mind and put more positive thoughts in my head. If it helps control my anxiety in other areas of my life I will let you know, and maybe you could look into doing some type of hypnosis/ relaxation to help naturally control your anxiety.

Thanks so much for your reply. Everything I read is how I am exactly!!
You even managed to make me laugh because I too am always looking in the bathroom mirror at work. Sometimes I sure wish I could break that thing. As for my dental mirror, I still have it in my car but just this morning I moved it to the trunk of my car so that I do not have as easy access to it. I think that is a step for me...as silly as that sounds. My new goal is to throw that thing out before Thursday. I am so mad at myself for even buying that stupid thing because that has caused me so much grief lately.
It's so nice to know I am not the only one out here who feels like this.

Congrats on your baby and I sure hope everything works out wonderfully for you. Please do share some of your new learned ideas with me on managment of stress and anxiety. I have not even taken the road of having kids yet but I know that if I do I better do it soon because I am over 30. I will be a complete worry wart at that time too.

If only we could realize that people out in this world have things so much worse than teeth to worry about. The problem is for me...teeth is the biggest worry out there right now for me.
Sure hope I can get thru all of this.

Good Morning:

I have been reading your posts. Anxiety can really take control of your life. I am a Psychologist specializing in anxiety disorder. PM me and we can chat. I can also supply you with some techniques I use with my patients.

:)

Scaling on Thursday..

Well my nerves are crazy again or shall I say still???
I have my 3rd quad of sclaing this Thursday. I am so nervous because the lower half is where I had my bone graft and extractions in March. I am scared they will do something that will affect the bone graft and more scred the rest ot my teeth down there will fall out with the scaling. I have one broken molar way in the back and another molar that is slightly mobile that my dentist hope responds with scaling to avoid any unnecessary extractions. I just keep thinking these bottom teeth are going to fall out during the scaling. Help or advice would be so appreciated....
They just called to confirm my appt for Thursday and I almost told them I wouldn't make it but I plan to go thru with it..

Insights please........

Re: Scaling on Thursday..

About canceling, I just did that and I wouldn't reccommend it. I feel bad about not doing it.

I've never had scaling but my friend has, and says its not that bad. Her gums are sensitive after but thats all. Also, the scaling is done to strengthen your teeth so they won't fall out. If anything its going to help prevent that from happening. My friend had 4 teeth that were cracked in back when her scaling was done and they were fine. Actually, she said her teeth quit hurting after the scaling was done. I know its hard but try to stay calm and think happy thoughts.

Don't back out, you're my gum disease buddy now! You'll feel better once it's done and you know your teeth are clean. I'm sure the dentist would have said if the teeth were likely to fall out... but i know how you feel. I've one tooth that looks and feels like it could fall out any time but it survived the scaling/planing somehow. Good luck!

Thanks for the support it means so much! 10 hrs until my appointment!

I highly doubt the dentist will do something to cause your teeth to fall out or your bone graft to have issues. I'm sure you'll be fine! I can't wait to hear how it goes so make sure you report back here to update us!

Oh, and do not cancel! It feels good for a minute, but then you start feeling even worse.

AS long as I survive tomorrow's appointment I will definitely let you know how it goes...:)

After tomorrow I then go back next Thursday for the final cleaning and then the week after that for a full exam where they will tell me what else needs to be done...fillings, crowns, etc. I sure hope I don't die form the shock of the cost at that appointment.

3 hours until my appointment

I am a nervous wreck! Three hours until my appointment for scaling the area around where I had my extractions and bone graft. I am freaking out right now and wish it were over. I want to cancel so bad, but I won't. I really could use a pep talk right now.
To make things more stressful...for all my previous appointments I have had the support of my husband but today he had his work schedule changed so I am going solo.

Help please!

Good luck with your appointment today im sure everything will be fine just stay strong. xxx Good Luck xxx . about the canceling ( Unplug phone i did haha)

Back