• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I did it too!!!!!!!

B

Bieker

Also scared!

Hi,

I'm new to this site and grateful for it. I've been going to the Dentist for years, but still the fear is overwelming.I've got missing teeth and bridges. I have permanent baby teeth with no adult teeth to erupt. I'm 49 years old, and still feel like a child when I sit in that chair. My 15 year old bridge just fell out along with my back top molar. My dentist tells me that I had a good run with this bridge. But in order for a new bridge, I have to get the root tips extracted first. He said the OS should have an easy time. The extraction is simple. It is on a root canal tooth. I can't handle work done on my back molars. I feel so out of control. I sure hope someone else feels the way I do. I would appreciate any help.

Bieker:o

Re: Also scared!

Hi Bieker and :welcome:

As you've probably already figured out, you've come to the right place.

I'm sure that there will be others who have had similar procedures done and they'll be able to tell you more. In any case, know that you are not alone in any of this. We'll be here for you every step of the way. :grouphug:

Thank you. I look forward to any and all responses.

Hi Bieker
To stop feeling out of control, you just need to be given some control such as a stop signal...there's more information here:

Do you have any other issues with treatment? Do you like and trust your dentist despite still having a fear? Maybe there are simple things he can do differently which would make it much easier for you...such as explaining what he is doing in simple terms as he goes along, checking you are ok, and telling you to raise your hand if you need a break or more anaesthetic, or have a question.

Can you trace your fear back to any particular events?

As Vict says you'll get lots of support on here so keep posting however silly it may seem. :grouphug:

My dentist is great, it's the Oral Surgeon I've never met. When I had a wisdom tooth removed, a few years back, the OS put stiches in and let the thread fall back in my throat. It freaked me out!!! So, I'm praying that he won't give me stiches. That's would have to be my focus on this visit. If it's only the root tip, maybe I won't need stiches.:scared:

Hi,
Just wanted to share with you that one wisdom tooth I had extracted was simply a root tip. No stitches were used so I doubt they will use stitches for that on you either.

Thanks for your info. And a wisdom tooth is farther back than my molar. This gives me hope.:)

I had stiches, but it was totally unproblematic and nothing like you describe.

Hi, I can't tell you how much I appreciaate your stories. Now, I just have to get enough courage to make the appointment. It's hard to do when you are not in any pain, but you know when you get out, you will be. Thanks again.:o

Just wanted to let you know, that I made an appointment for next Wednesday. They told me the whole procedure should take 30 to 45 minutes. That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for listening.

:jump: That's a great step. Good for you!

Well, I had my appointment this morning to have my molar root tip extracted.
Boy, was I scared!!! The numbing was fine, except for the numbing on the roof of my mouth. I felt out of control and wanted to gag. But, I white knuckled it and not much time past when the OS said it was out. She did give me a stich, but this time, I had no problem. Wow, the root tip was starting an infection on top, so it was a good thing I went in. Now, I'm sore, but relieved. My next appointment will be with my dentist for my new bridge. That appointment will be about 2 hours, but at least nothing is coming out. Thanks again. And everyone remember, the anticipation is worse than any procedure.:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::yay::yay::yay:

Great job! You are so right...the anticipation is WORSE than the procedure!

:yay: Woohoo! Congratulations, that's fantastic news. Doesn't it feel great to have that over with? I bet you feel proud - as well you should. Isn't that sense of relief just the best?

I thought to myself the other day that, for phobics, dentistry can be almost like an extreme sport. The thought of what you are about to do can be terrifying but there is nothing quite like the rush and the sense of accomplishment that you feel once the visit is over. Of course, I should stress that unlike extreme sports, the sense of danger we phobics feel about dentistry is more a result of faulty perception than of any real risk.

In any case, congratulations on your dental "bungee jump". :)

Thanks for all the support. The sense of pride is a greater sensation than the phobia itself. If we phobics can concentrate on the end result more than the pending procedure, we all might conquer our fears. It takes all the support from this website to see us through anything. I'll keep you posted on when I get my new bridge. That will be another hurdle to get past, but knowing how I will fee afterwards, it will all be worth it.:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Congrats Bieker! :jump::)

Mona

Back