• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal went really badly - and I need to go back again (do not read if you are very phobic...)

T

tryingtobebrave

Root canal went really badly - and I need to go back again (do not read if you are very phobic...)

I only go to the dentist when I have a bad problem and I also have suffered in the past from panic attacks and agoraphobia which has made it even worse. First root canal I had IV sedation. Second one 4 years ago I decided I would tough it out as I didn't like recovering from the general anesthesia. It went surprisingly well. Then on Monday I needed another one - I used the same Endo I had gone to 4 years ago - and it was absolutely horrible! I couldn't get numb and even after many, many tubes of Carbocaine (which I need as opposed to novacaine) NONE of it was working - he'd drill and I'd feel ever bit of the nerve being hit inside the tooth! Then he injected it up into the nerve which of course hurt like hell and it also did no good. Then he put it on the end of the drill or file and it helped a little then - but not for long.

I was just starting to trust myself doing these very hard things then this totally took me by surprise as I have never had a problem getting numb before. Now I will worry that it will happen every time and I need a lot more work done. I know being nervous contributes to this possibly but I have always been nervous, so why now? There were other things too - like having tons of carbocaine dripping down into my throat, feeling like I Was drowning and getting little relief, the dentist is an experienced guy and I feel pretty confident in him, but he's a bit of a brute-force type who doesn't say much and pretty much wants you to just sit down and shut up :confused: So I suffered through it with my husband holding my hand (do not underestimate the power of having a friend or relative do this!!!)

Anyway, my canals were calcified and narrow on top of everything, so he packed the tooth up with some stuff to soften the canals and I go back on Monday for more. He said it wouldn't be bad like before as all of the nerves are gone (that includes MINE too though!!) Not sure if I should believe him or not on that - and of course I have a fresh new bad experience (and I never even really had a bad one in my life till now!) so I am trying to figure out what to do. I really don't want gas or other drugs - I have Xanax but it really doesn't do much for me.

Lastly, I'll have to find a new dentist to deal with either filling or crowning this tooth and anyone with suggestions for dentists in Northern VA (Loudoun or Fairfax county) please let me know. And let me know if there are any tricks I can use so that the carbo will work next time - or am I just screwed forever?? :o

Re: Root canal went really badly - and I need to go back again (do not read if you are very phobic..

I had the start of my root canal surgery a couple of weeks ago and the infected area was so swollen, it made it difficult for the pain relief to get to where it needed to be, could this be a reason for you not being able to feel the effects? It sounds like you've got a slightly more serious problem that i have, and it also sounds like you need to find yourself a nicer dentist!!

I had panic attacks at the thought of going to the dentist for 6 years untill i got an infection so bad that i had to go and get emergency treatment! now i want to go to the dentist all the time, get everything sorted out before the problems get this bad! I think if you find yourself a dentist who understands you and that you trust, you'll find it easier to get regular check ups so that these problems can be rectified! You have to admit, a check up and xray is much better than painful root canal treatment!!

I guess if you have to go back to that guy for the rest of your treatment, explain to him how much you could feel last time and see if he has any ideas as to why, or any other alternatives. If you havent had problems getting numb before i wouldnt worry, i bet its just the infection making it hard for the effects to be felt, like i said thats what happened to me but the next time i went after the infection calmed down a bit and i was numb after one shot!

good luck anyway hun :)

Re: Root canal went really badly - and I need to go back again (do not read if you are very phobic..

hey
to be honest i think you need another dentist i wouldn't be going back i know you say he wasnt mean or anything but i think if things really weren't working the procedure should have been stoped and other options considered !! I mean it was obviously not going well and you were super brave to sit there but can you honestly see yrself going back to him? Try and get at lest a second opinion tell them everything and include the numbing stuff that didnt work see what they say.
You deserve a nice dentist who will help you and find a way for you to be comfortable thats the most important thing!!!!
hope you find one
emma

First of all, welcome to the forum and big hugs to you.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a rotten experience this time around. I am including a link to an article on our site that talks about the fear of not being able to get numb. As the link points out, everybody can get numb - you just may require different steps depending on your situation. Since knowledge is power, I think you'll find the information very useful and, hopefully, reassuring.

I agree with Emma. The "brute force" you describe is not something you have to put up with. There are plenty of experienced dentists who are also kind and compassionate. One of the main keys for us dental phobics is to find a dentist we trust and like.

I'm not sure how close you are to Sterling, VA, but there are a couple of recommendations in this area of our site in the "Dentist Reviews and Recommendations" section. Perhaps some of the other forum members will have additional recommendations.

You aren't just trying to be brave. You ARE brave. You've already come so far. Just remember that you don't have to go this alone. You have new friends here who will help you the rest of the way. :grouphug:

Hi
It sounds like maybe infection was causing the problem with numbing in which case, you should have been given the option to call a halt, maybe take antibiotics first or be heavily sedated...rather than have to put up with the pain of it.

One of the reasons people choose endos for root canals in addition to the fact that they should technically do a better job in complex cases because of their extra experience, is that because they do them all day long, they should also be good at getting teeth numb even in difficult situations and/or should also have sedation options available.

I hear what you say about him being otherwise competent but personally i thi k I would try to finish off elsewhere with a reputable endo who has sedation if necessary. There really is no need to have to put up with pain during treatment thesedays and to put someone through that without giving them the option of rethinking the situation, is not what I'd expect from my ideal dentist/endo. I expect the person holding your hand was a bit put off dentists as well by it.

The best way you can reduce the likelihood of infection in future is to change your gameplan and go along for regular checks so that problems can be caught early before infection..then numbing should never be an issue for a competent dentist...it's a different kind of self-protection mechanism...if you think about it.

Or you might take the view that he should finish what he has started...I suppose you could go along and say upfront if it is not painfree you will be calling a halt...as you think you would prefer sedation in future if likely to be pain involved...that may make him think twice about just carrying on with other patients..after all you were 'repeat business' too..if anyone deserved good service it was you.
Personally I wouldn't go back, let's be clear about that;).

I feel for you, and completely understand. My entodontist and my First Root Canal was a horrible experience, one which I never want to repeat. Not to mention I was scared stiff, but when he gave me the novocaine, he hit a nerve and I literally felt "FIRE" running through my face, and through my nose!!! to which he casually said "I know what you felt, but you weren't supposed to feel that." He was cold, and uncaring, and had a HORRIBLE Bedside manner. And the rubber dam...I won't even get into that! My dentist was a Sit down and shut up kind of guy too. I wanted so badly to just pull the tooth and get me the heck out of that chair, I had to go back 3 times for them to finish the job and it was Horrible. I too had Novocaine dripping down my throat and my throat went numb, the most horrible feeling in the world! I couldn't feel myself swallow!!!! And he wasn't the least bit sympathetic! I need Xanax for my appointments too, it takes the edge off a bit, but not entirely. I hope your last appointment is a pleasant one, at that. And that you find a new dentist to put your crown on. I went 2 YEARS before I put a crown on my tooth...I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. Good Luck to you.

Back