• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Im new here..

I know! Our mind plays terrible tricks on us. Although already I feel a bit nervous about my next appointment!
I basically just have lots of fillings to be done. Thankfully not any serious work needs doing. I am spreading it out over a few months due to money. Hopefully by October or November it will be all over! I am definitely going to make sure I go for regular check ups afterwards too.. Wow cannot believe I am thinking like this! Must be on the mend :yay:

Well I am glad its just fillings that need to get done for you. Now that you had some done today, you know what to expect. Too bad that doesn't stop anxiety though..LOL
I too have spread my treatment out..you almost have to with the way it costs these days. I finally have my fillings done so now I need a crown maybe two and then I am DONE!!! At least I sure hope!!

I sure hope the rest of your treatment is as successful as this one was!

Me again!

Hi guys,
I have to say I have been neglecting the website lately! Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing... I would like to say good! Good that I am able to get on with life while getting my treatment done..
but..... I have my 3rd appointment (2nd for treatment) in a couple of days time. The fear is creeping up. I know its not going to bad but still...... Just cant wait for it to be done. I think I will be getting 3 fillings done, so no longer than 45 minutes. Im so looking forward to the euphoria that you get when you walk out of the dentist, ALIVE and well and feeling on top of the world that you have survived an appointment!!
ahhhh.
I have read a lot of posts about people going for cleanings and polishings and stuff. I dont have this on my treatment plan... I thought this would of been the first thing that happened? Perhaps it will be after my fillings?
Also, has anybody ever had their teeth whitened before? I know its expensive... but how much?? and, is it actually noticably different??

Will let you know how I get on with my appointment....... sure I will be fine!

Hi Lulu,
Just wanted to say great job on the work you have had done! And yes, I know how that old fear creeps up on you lol! BUt like you said, you will be fine. Love that feeling of euphoria when you leave after you are done. My greatest moment for that was my last visit when I had a deep cleaning done with just LA. Still cant believe I did that. Wow. I think that was the greatest for me because it was the first time I wasnt dazed on sedatives so I was more aware of it.
About the cleanings, mine were actually done last because my dentist thought some of the work was more urgently needed.
You have done awesome! Keep us posted on your next visit

Hi!

I know that feeling when you come out of the appointment!

I am having my cleanings last too. Whether its cos he wanted to get the bigger stuff done first, thinks I will freak out at the hygeinist or just that diff dentists do things in different ways I don't know. Call them to ask if it is bothering you.

Well done and keep going!

ahhhhh today is the day!

I have just woken up, feeling very nervous and a bit sick. I know its going to be ok but of course the thoughts have gotten to me. Hopefully will feel a bit better after I take some diazepam. It really does work!

I think I also feel a bit nervous as I know I am getting 2 or 3 fillings done, but im not sure where. just want it to be over!!!!!!!!!

will let you all know how it goes...

By now it's probably over and hopefully you are feeling very proud of yourself! Update when you can

Hi guys!

Well..... its over indeed! I have to say today was a lot harder than the first time. I was okay and everything but the work was a bit more intense. I had a filling on one of my side front teeth up the top and one to the side. It was quick and I am happy its done. They are a bit sore at the moment, but okay.
My next appointment will be a bit longer, an hour or so, and my dentist said after that, a lot of the fillings will be done. so thats great!
So.. I have that booked in for four weeks time!
Now I can relax a bit..... :)

I feel bad for neglecting my page for awhile! After my last appointment I tried to forget a bit about my fear (I have found that since I built up the courage to actually sort my teeth out, I no longer think about my fears every single day like I used to!!) and I have been getting on with my life. YAY!

Yesterday was my third appointment. It was definitely the hardest. It was for an hour or so and had 4 or 5 fillings done on 4 teeth on the side. There was lots of scraping and stuff and it wasnt very pleasant .. BUT it was ok!

And now, I am just feeling great. This evening I looked in the mirror and actually thought that my teeth looked rather normal! That I can actually smile without being incredibly embarassed. I know my teeth arent perfect but they will be!

Because of the fillings being all on one side and in such a small area, they are quite sore still and quite sensitive. I assume this is all normal?? Any recommendations for after care for fillings? I have avoided eating on that side and doing a salt gargle every so often (I dont even know if this does anything... ?? But I read it once....)

Well, just thought I would share all of that with you guys. I hope everyone is doing well in their quest to overcome their phobias. How great does it feel to know that we can? I actually dont squirm when someone mentions the dentist, or when I happen to walk past one, I no longer cross the road to avoid it!

lulu x

Back