• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

embarrassed to go now.

D

dadasway

ok so i'm 18 and i have crooked teeth and they've been that way since they've grown in and most likely have gotten even worse. i havent been to the dentist since i was 5 due to bein afraid after bein strapped down while gettin my mouth cleaned. growing older i've began to become self conscious about my teeth so i asked my mom to get braces..i couldnt because i didnt have any insurance at that time...im very self conscious about my teeth although over the years i learned to hide them very well and people that've known me for years dont notice..but the point is i know they're really messed up and i have to hide them all the time..now i have insurance and i'm embarrassed to go to the dentist..i even made an appointment and never went due to bein embarrassed..i dont want to have to face the dentist but i dont want to have crooked teeth any longer either...im very sick of them and i just want to see what it would look like if i had a normal smile rather than holdin my lips together when i smile:censored:....im just so scared and dont know what to do:(

hey
dont worry so many people on here will understand what you're going through but remember dentists will have seen much worse. When my teeth were bad i was convinced that the dentist would be so shocked i needed 4 teeth out and 7 fillings but he just said ive seen worse they always have. Yr teeth need straightening thats nothing to worry about you cant help that you were born with yr teeth and unfortunatley they're not straight. You will be fine honestly the dentist wont be shocked and wont say anything to put you down if he does its the wrong dentist for you you need someone who understands.
good luck
emma

Sorry to hear about your outrageously inappropriate childhood experiences - in some parts of the world at least such behaviour is outlawed..what a 5 year old has to get a cleaning at any cost? I think not.

There's more info on embarrassment here, it is very common.

It might help to just tell the dentist you can't cope with any negative remarks about the state of your teeth/hygiene; and briefly explain what caused your pattern of avoidance behaviour..namely abusive treatment at a young age.

Take care to research a kind competent dentist before going along and that way you can more or less guarantee a positive experience.
Best of luck and keep us posted.:grouphug:

:welcome:I'm sorry to read of the dental abuse you went through as a young child. :mad: I have zilch tolerance, probably less than in fact, toward people who hurt kids. Take your time to ask/search around for a compassionate dentist and then go meet them. It does seem like some do even offer free initial first consultations. Perhaps if it might make you feel a little better, send them a quick email first, possibly even stating that during your first appointment, you really are just looking to meet them, hear their treatment philosophy, maybe consider letting them take a quick look at your mouth, that way you have taken concrete control before going in for the first visit.

:grouphug:Best of luck,
Mona

Not to worry. Dentists have seen all kinds of problem teeth, even probably much worse than yours. So please don't be embarassed to go! My Best Friend hadn't been for a cleaning on her teeth since she was 5. She is now 48, and just went last week! They should have NEVER Strapped you down! Dentists are not as horrible as they once were. I too had horrible experiences as a child. You may be pleasantly surprised. I am terrified of dentists and have found one that I "Actually" Like. A dentist with a good bedside manner, won't care how your teeth look, only that he would be willing to help you. Keep the appointment, and if he gives you slack, find one that's right for you. I did...and it was worth it.

i appreciate all of your suggestions...i will be sure to search for a good dentist and schedule an appointment on this comin monday..and hopefully i can keep my confidence and i wont chicken out this time...:(

i just thought about it...i dont know what to even say makin an appointment...when i scheduled it before i said i wanted a checkup and their was a slight pause on the phone..but the nurse or whoever it was put me down for a physical??is this the correct thing to do if u wanna go about correctin ur teeth?:hidesbehindsofa:

It may be different in USA but to me a physical exam is what medical doctors do. Dentists do check-ups or in the USA I think it's just called an 'exam'. Just say you are a new patient and haven't seen any dentist for a long time and take it from there.