• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

F

fatcat

New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Hi all

Well, I will begin with a bit of history. Had not been to the dentist for about 8/9 years until a month ago. I was scared of the dentist but didn't know why, would not talk about dentists and hated seeing dental things on tv etc. My siblings and I had I guess difficult teeth which required orthodontic work (more than the normal braces) so that didn't help towards my fear....I also remember my mum having to literally drag me crying to the dentist in my teens. I think I may have blocked a lot of things out of my mind and so can't put my fear down to a particular experience. Although it could well be a control thing as this is an issue with me!

My mouth was not in a good state and I thought one of my front teeth was loose and was totally petrified of losing it, it was affecting my eating, was on my mind constantly and I was so paranoid.

Anyway, took myself to my local dentist to see if I could register as I knew the time to do something had come (may i add that this forum helped me make that step). They couldn't accept me as NHS but I decided to go private. I explained I was phobic and they wanted to make sure I would actually go to appointments....I explained my mind was made up, I had come this far I knew I needed to sort things. I went to fill the form out in the waiting room and the receptionist came to tell me that the dentis had a cancelation, did I want to see him now! Panic!! I burst into tears and said yes I need to do this. He is a lovely man, did not rush me into the chair, once in the chair just spoke to me til I calmed down and then went on to examine my mouth. No telling off just reassurance that we can sort this. The worst part was the xray....I always gag, I managed to do it by holding the thing in my mouth myself.

So what I need doing is 10 fillings, 2 extractions and the hygenist apparently the tooth at the front is not falling out just sensitive because of my bad gums....not as bad as I had thought and worried about for so long. Had pictured having to have them all out root canals everything you can possibly think of! I have so far had 2 fillings done, took my rescue remedy before and felt a lot calmer and no pain at allfrom injections and drilling! Was on such a high afterwards I felt like my life was back on track and hopefully some day in the future I will be able to smile showing my teeth and not worry about my breath etc!!

Well I am posting here today because I have another appointment tomorrow at 10.30 am....I don't feel great about it I am dizzy right now and I feel like crying. I think it is for 2 more fillings but I have a horrible feeling that I may have agreed to having an extraction and 2 other bigger fillings but I can't remember! I am freaking out....I will not be able to cope with the extraction tomorrow and I have only tomorrow off work, what if I have a lot of pain, how will I do salt rinses at work etc???

My first question is if I go tomorrow and find that I did agree to the extraction etc can I change my mind and tell him I only want the small fillings done?? How long did people have off work after an extraction and how long did it take to heal?

Really sorry about the length and the fact I might be babbling, I am panicked!! Hope someone is out there to help/calm me down......

Fatcat

Re: New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Hello Fatcat:

First, Welcome to the forum!:welcome:

Thank you for sharing your story. It is a great thing to do as there is a lot of support here for you with many people that have been at the same place you are today.

You have done the best thing in the world by making and going to the appointment. Confronting the fear is the only way to overcome it. I know this takes bravery, you feel like you will go running, screaming into the night, but you find the courage to move forward.

Anxiety always paints a picture that is much worse than the reality, as you have found. It also sounds like you have found a caring dentist that will work with and understands some of you fear. This is tremendous.

Remember, you are in control. Even if you agreed to the extraction you do not need to proceed. No one can do anything to you that you do not want.

If the tooth is painful it might have an infection. This is easily fixed with antibiotics. However, this is only a temporary fix. I can tell you from personal experience extractions are very easy and pain free. The scariest thing is the pictures your fear paints, this is not the reality. They can be done in a minute or two. I guarantee you that the pain and fear you are dealing with is much worse than any dental procedure.

Dentistry is not the painful experience it used to be. New tools and techniques have taken pain from the equation.

You can do this and come through with the smile you deserve. You have lived with the pain and fear long enough. It is time for you to be free from this terror and have peace.

I know you can have victory. You are making a positive change in your life. This is awesome. Believe in yourself.

If I can help, please let me know.

Blessings :)

Re: New, worried, some questions, wanted to share my experience..Sorry bit long!

Hi Fatcat
Congratulations on your excellent progress :jump::respect: - so glad you have found a kind dentist.
All they really want is for you to turn up for the appointment...and not leave them with an empty slot....what work is done when you get there is open for discussion and it will make no difference either way whether fillings or extractions are done...timing wise extractions would probably be quicker than fillings. They are usually not as big a deal as it seems and people often go straight back to work afterwards although it's probably best to reward yourself with a few hours off if possible.
I suggest you keep the appt and discuss the rest of your treatment plan..maybe you'd rather finish the fillings and leave extractions till last..it should be your call especially privately. :grouphug:

Thanks for your support and kind words guys! It means a lot right now!

I am glad I have found a nice dentist too! It really makes a difference, he seemed so pleased with me last appointment when I did the fillings with no tears, even shook my hand! I know I have come a long way and I am determined to do this, the fear is still there though and worse because there is an appointment tomorrow. I guess maybe there will always be fear, but hope that with time it gets better. I will go to the appointment as I don't want to let them down as they have been so good with me and because of all the people out there who can't get a place with a dentist! As you say, I don't have to have anything done that I don't want....just yet anyway....I can see this now I am not in the middle of a panic!

I have convinced myself that I will get a dry socket and be in agony hence the worry about work. Also I hate the numbness and wouldn't want to be in public feeling numb. I am a complex person!!

There is no pain in the tooth, has gone past that stage, not much left of it really which is another worry, I can't imagine how he will get it out as there isn't anything to get hold of! Will leave that to him to figure out though!

Thanks again your messages have helped a lot. I will post tomorrow when I am home hopefully with good news!!

fatcat

:welcome:Fatcat and much congrats on taking the (hradest inmo) first step in taking charge of your dental health. A kind dentist=everything and hopefully will make all future visits easier and most of all help you throw that :devilish:fear way out into dental ghost space! :)

Best to you,
Mona

Thanks Razzle!

Ok so I am back from my appointment! It turns out I had not agreed to the extractions and I was having 4 fillings! Anxiety makes you imagine all sorts huh! I was very panicky not in a good state before the appointment and considered making a run for it whilst I was in the waiting room!

I had 3/4 injections without the numbing stuff this time! I freaked out when I realised he was going straight for it but he said you can do this and you know what it was ok...a little uncomfortable but not painful! One of the fillings was on the back top right, turns out it was much deeper than he thought. The wisdom tooth next to it has been growing too near to it and eroding it, food has got caught in it and caused decay.....He says it has a 50/50 chance of survival. I am really worried that one will have to come out too :cry: if it starts to get painful then its not good news. If I haven't had any pain for 6 weeks then it will be fine.....I really am keeping fingers and toes crossed, don't want to lose any more teeth!! Thing is I know what I am like and now I know this I will probably convince myself of pain even if there isn't any....has anyone else had a filling that had chance of failure? How bad will the pain be if it comes?

So I did it, was some tears and I was quite freaked out and jumpy throughout but I did it none the less, another step done! Dentist gave me a hug afterwards! He is so lovely! :jump:

Am still mega numb, I hate it, think after so many injections it may last a while too!

Hi Fatcat!

You sound very very much like me. I was sooo scared making that first appointment and you so totally just want to run away and hide and not ever walk into the room, but somehow courage takes over and you just do it.
I hope my appointment next week goes as well as yours. you seem so elated when its done! good on you. I hope I feel the same too. This forum also helped me in going to the dentist. It is so nice to be able to read and chat with people who are going through the same things, without judging you or anything. a relief to find I am not alone after all my life thinking I was the only one with this problem! :)

Hi!

I think finally you get to the point that you know you have to do something about it there is no other choice for whatever reason, for some this comes quicker than others.

I'm sure your appointment will be fine and you will feel the same as I do afterwards. After so many years of it being on my mind constantly I am finally making steps to do something, its empowering! I can't wait for all my work to be over and know I'm back on track. I find myself not being able to smile properly because of my messed up mouth but soon that feeling will be gone (to some extent is already going). My confidence is coming back because I no longer have to hide this secret its so great and I am absolutely sure you will feel the same!! :jump:Remember all this when the fear strikes, it gets you through it. I'm glad I am giving people hope just as others did when I was a 'lurker' on this forum, too terrified to go. Also you are most deff not alone!

Ok so its been a week since the last appointment and now I am getting worried about the next one.

This time it will be an extraction and a couple of fillings....my worry about this is I smoke, quite a lot and I know I shouldn't smoke for 48 hrs after. I really don't think I can manage it....Has any other smoker round here had an extraction? How did you cope? Did you smoke or leave it for a while?? My plan was to come home afterwards and sleep for the day to keep away from the cigs but now I hear you shouldn't lie down for a while.

I am really worried about it, have visions of terrible pain, blood and bruises. I also worry that it will be really noticable in my face.

Can anyone help?

Does nobody have any advice? :shame:

Even just advice/support on the extraction would be good!

Its on my mind constantly, I'm so worried something will go wrong and it will set me back overcoming my fears.

I don't smoke so I can't help there aside from offering you good luck on that front, but I had a second molar out yesterday and am doing fine; my jaw is sore (it was a somewhat difficult tooth so it took a while, I'm glad I went to an oral surgeon for this one even though it was more expensive) but otherwise I'm good. I'm going to try going into work tomorrow. I've been icing and am not swollen that I can see, no bruises or anything. And aside from my jaw, I'm not hurting at all today. I'm going to keep up the ibuprofen for a couple of days to make sure.

It didn't hurt. Not a twinge once I was numbed up. The pressure felt weird, but there was no pain (aside from a few twinges when he put in the first shot or two of local, but that wasn't really bad).

Everything I've read says to sleep propped up for the first night or two; I got out an extra pillow and due to both relief and Vicodin (how I love thee, when I need thee) I slept like a baby. I even managed not to drool on my pillow, which I can't always manage when I haven't had major dental work. :)

Hi

Thank you so much for replying. Why was it difficult? My dentist seems to think my extractions will be easy but I don't know whether he is saying that to calm me down. I'm glad to hear you are doing fine.

I can't decide how long to have off work, I don't want to be there if I am in pain and I'm worried about people wondering why I am rinsing my mouth out but it may keep my mind off things (plus I don't smoke at work so that is a bonus too)

I'm glad it didn't hurt you, that gives me some hope. Ugh, I am dreading it! After this one I have to go back for the second one, I hope I can do it.

Eh, it was just a really stubborn tooth. He ended up sectioning it to get it out, which sounds awful but actually was mostly just time-consuming. Even though it was in horrible shape, it didn't really want to come out. Silly tooth.

I arranged to be off work yesterday and today, and told my boss I'd let her know tomorrow morning if I'm coming in. She's awesome so has no problem with it either way as long as I'm all right. The reason I was out was no secret so if people see me rinsing I'll tell them why, but obviously everybody's work situation is different. My only concern right now about work is that the main part of my job is answering the phone; I hope I don't aggravate my jaw with the talking, but maybe we'll have a quieter couple of days so I don't.
It really wasn't that bad. And in a week or so I will be doing this: :sleepyjuice:

Ah well I'm here again! 4 and a bit days to go til the 1st of 2 extractions and I'm having panics about it already!
I really wish I hadn't let it get to this stage!
Am worried about having a really noticeable sunken cheek I already think it looks bad, am worried its gonna look terrible afterwards. Have convinced myself I will get a dry socket, worrying about every possibility!
I can't wait for all this to be over, its stressing me out so much!
Just had to share my feelings/worries with someone.....am REALLY dreading this appointment more than the others!

Its nearly here, tomorrow is the day. I feel sick! At the moment my worry is that he won't be able to get it all out. I seem to find new things to worry about each day! Deep down I know I will be ok and nothing bad (that can't be fixed) will happen to me but its not easy to think rationally when you are so scared and anxious....Silly thing is I bet I'll come on here tomorrow all hyper cos I did it....doesn't stop the fear though...I feel like crying.:shame:

I'm also still worrying about being able to keep off the cigs....in a way I feel determined to do it cos then I might stop for good but scared of failure...

Hey fatcat,

You need to calm down for starters, the worst thing you can do is get yourself worked up because it can affect your overall health. Prevent yourself from thinking the worst, whenever you think of what is to be done distract yourself. Either phone a friend for a natter or go for a jog.

I would advise also that you call your dentist for some reassurance and support, there is nothing like being able to sit in his/her 'office' and be given the support from the person who will be doing the procedure.

From what I have been told, the only thing off puting about an extraction is the gaping hole it leaves behind, because with the LA you shouldnt be able to feel a thing. They will most certainly not strap you down to the chair and yank the tooth out, you have rights, and one of those rights is to be treated with some damn respect, this wasnt realised back in the day when dentistry was amatuer.

I may sound like a confident person, but to be totally honest im shitting myself right now because I have a dental appointment tomorrow at 11am for the dentist to drill a huge whole at the top of my tooth and pack it with antibiotics ready for the root canal in october.
I am absolutly petrified of the dentist, I cry automatically as soon as I step into his office, but he is so gentle with me and so reassuring it makes me wonder when I leave what the fuss was all about. I think its just an automatic reaction for us all to be nervous when we think of a dental appointment.

You will be fine hun :grouphug:

Hi fatcat

Well no-one seems to have posted yet so let me try to reassure you. I have had a lot of work done in the last year and that included extractions. I had 6 in all, including 3 molars or what was left of them, all pulled on the same day! Like you I imagined all sorts of things and in particular how do you get out a tooth when it is already in bits, or seems to be.

Well my dentist got me numbed, and I felt movements but no pain or cracking noises or anything like that. Within what seemed like a few minutes it was all over bar the shouting. Yes there was a bit of bleeding but it stopped before I got home and though they told me to put an old towel over my pillow because there might be bleeding overnight there wasn't. Nor any pain to speak of - I didn't take any of the Ibuprofen I had bought specially!

So instead of looking at all the things that might go wrong, just imagine how you will feel when it is over!! :) You are already well into your journey - you can and must keep going!

Thanks for your advice and support guys, means a lot! Good to know others experiences.

I do feel a bit silly being so worked up but I can't help it....I am a massive worrier about everything in life! You are both right in the things you say and I know it will be fine but the anticipation sends me a bit mad I think! I know I have come far and I know I will be on a high after it all (I am every appointment cos I'm so proud) I think it is especially bad as I have only experienced extractions as a child so that I could have braces (I seem to have completely blocked this from my mind!) so I am not sure of the situation - think I might have mentioned most of my issues with dentists stem from control issues!
Thank you again for your kindness.
Terrified patient hope your appointment goes well. I am sure it will be fine, I used to cry each time too but I don't now, each time does get a little easier. Will be thinking of you tomorrow!

Hi fatcat!

Good luck tomorrow! I like you worry about EVERYTHING in life and I hate the feeling but now its time to think about yourself and let others do the worrying. I had 6 teeth extracted and 4 wisdom teeth at one time with LA and I felt nothing at all..well except for the bill when it came..LOL

Seriously, you will do great! I will be thinking of you tomorrow..

Hi Fat Cat,

Not sure if this will reach you because of time difference, but just to let you know I had an extraction 10 days ago, and to agree with others above, really wasn't bad. The tooth had to be taken out in two pieces because it was broken, but even so, I couldn't believe how quick it was! The dentist gave me little packs of guaze that I used that day, but by evening it was fine and I had dinner that night, just careful not to eat on that side. Took some panadol that night and woke up fine the next day .... best of luck!!

Back