• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need a new dentist-bad visit

M

MomOf2Kiddos

I've been seeing the dentist I saw for a while when I was a teen. I went back to them thinking they would remember my fears and be extremely gentle. I had to have a root canal done, and I made it through that process and just got my crown placed today. While I am glad that's done with, the rct portion I saw the endodontist for was painless while the crown prep hurt because they wouldn't numb me. So while they were shaving away my tooth they were bumping my gums and it hurt so bad. I was totally surprised by that and it made me nervous for todays appt.

The part that I'm really having trouble with is this: Today as they are placing the crown they tell me I have some new decay on the left side that wasn't there 2 weeks ago. "What have you been eating!!?" droning on and on about it and even giving my husband a list of healthy vs not healthy foods. For F's sake that decay has been there for years, they just did such an assinine exam I guess that they didn't notice it. Then started going on about me needing more crowns when the endo I saw said no more were necessary. Luckily my husband was there when I came out to the waiting room and they started on him about it and he said NO! to them.

Also my secondary issue is that I need cavaties filled on my front teeth and they had me buy a whitening kit, which I've been using. At the appointment 2 weeks ago (crown prep) they were supposed to do those fillings. Instead they called it a shade check and said they weren't white enough. So I expected it done at this appointment and it wasn't even mentioned. I said I wanted it done and they said something like "oh not today". HELLO! It takes alot of drugs to get me here, my husband has to take the day off and I'm livid by this point but I was on the Ativan so instead I just started crying.

So then the question to me was "how many of those pills did you take?" So I'm lead crying into the waiting room where my husband asks if I'm ok and they tell him it's the drugs. Then I tell him why I'm upset and he was not happy either. I've told the receptionist I need to have as much done at once and she supposedly moved schedules so there was time for it and then magically it doesn't show up in my chart that I'm supposed to have all of that done so they won't do it.

I don't wanna go back there. The whole point of any of this dental work was so I could smile again and it's been months and my front teeth aren't fixed.:shame:

Definitely time for a change....you poor thing....what's with not numbing up for the crown prep for instance? They've lost your confidence on more than one count so I agree you should move on.
Kudos for you for staying the course of treatment this far :jump::respect: move somewhere where they value your custom and care a bit more about your comfort level.
Sorry to hear about the inappropriate judgemental 'decay-guilt trip' stuff too...you could have said that since your last appointment you'd been knocking back honey by the gallon like Winnie the Pooh :ROFLMAO:...a good dentist would have simply apologised for having missed it before...:grouphug:

Thanks, I feel a little clearer today now that I've gotten all the Ativan out of my system and I'm also mad as heck. I've already contacted another dentist office and asked for an office tour and a meeting with the dentist to talk about my fears and my needs. It took me 12 years to get back to the dentist, I don't want to let this hurt my progress so far.

More about that appointment has come back to me and I feel like when I told them they were hurting me they should have stopped. The appointment prior when I told them they were hurting me they also should have stopped. To try to tell me the decay on the side of one tooth magically appeared in the last 2 weeks is just stupid, it's obviously something that's been there a while and to suggest I went on some sort of sugar binge is beyond insulting. Then to go on and try to schedule me for multiple crowns when the endodontist said they were not necessary...lol. I asked my husband today if he really did use his "daddy" voice on the dentist or if I had imagined it. He did :giggle: and I'm proud of him for it because I don't think I would have been able to have been so forceful.

Back