• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown came off - what to do?

L

londoncalling

I got a temporary crown just yesterday, and it's already come off. I was just eating a banana (of all things :(), and was even making an effort to chew on the other side of the mouth when suddenly I noticed that the dumb thing had come out. Of course the obvious answer is to go to the dentist, but the dentist's office is closed until Monday, and I can't find an emergency contact number anywhere. I read that Fixodent might work, and a friend of mine who's had it done told me that it worked, but when he got back to the dentist to get it recemented, they had to SCRAPE the residual Fixodent off the prepped tooth and rinse it with cold water - I unconsciously took a drink of ice cold water a few minutes ago, and it was too sensitive even for me to gasp dramatically, hysterical with pain as I tossed myself into the floor, so I can't imagine someone scraping at it.
To boot, all I ate yesterday was a couple of grapes and all I've eaten today is about half of a banana, and even though I'm starving, I don't even want to think about food or eating until I can do something about the crown. Also, maybe I should add that it's the very back molar on the left side of my mouth, so I can't see to mess with it.
Are there any temporary solutions that could hold the crown in until I can get back into the dentist? Should I try the Fixodent? If this had happened later, I might just ride it out, but I just got it yesterday and there's no way I can just wait until the permanent comes in. Another concern of mine is that something will "change" with the prepped tooth before Monday and they'll have to do more drilling and stabbing about inside my mouth before they're able to put the permanent one in.
:confused: Maybe I can just fast for three weeks... surely there's an issue out there worth starving for.

Last edited:
For a second I wondered why you might think I was from London, but then I realized it was because of my username. I'm not from London, though thanks for the suggestion. I actually live in the US.

Last edited:
I currently have a temporary crown, too. My dentist told me to put Vaseline on it and put it back if it fell off, and to call ASAP to come in and get it re-cemented. Have you tried calling your dentist's regular number? Often they'll either have an answering service, or at the very least a number you can call for emergencies on their answering machine message.

Good luck!

Yep you can try using some of the denture adhesives in a pinch. There are some temporary cement products that are usually available at the pharmacy so you can also check there.

Back