• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New ill fitting partial denture

J

jasmin

Hi, I am 36 and last week, I had 3 upper front teeth removed and a acrylic partial denture fitted on the NHS. As soon as the denture was fitted, it didn't fit. I was sent away with some fixident and the dentures in a paper towel. When I smile, the top part of the plastic gum is completly visible and catches on my upper lip. The plastic gum part completely covers the inside of my left and right upper teeth and is irritating them. The front of the gum part of the partial starts halfway down of my own gum line so the partial looks really odd. It looks awful and even with fixident is loose. I have made another appointment with my dentist this week. Can I insist on have a new partial made as I can't see how even with adjustments, this denture fitting. I have one upper front tooth remaining which is a bit loose and the dentist said in a few months, I can have a bridge (privately) made to relace the denture but I am worried if this is the right thing to do as the tooth is already loose. Feel so upset. Can I insist on a new partial for now and then in a few months time when my gums have healed, would it be better to have a valplast denture or go for the bridge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, does anyone have any tips to help with my speech sounding so bad :( Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Jasmin, I know exactly where you are coming from but I hope you will start to feel better soon. You are far from alone in this. If your plate really does not fit properly, your dentist will take care of that - possibly all that is needed is a little adjustment. Don't soldier on with something that you suspect is not right, go back to your dentist and get it sorted. It can be, don't worry. You will have a plate, but a properly fitting, comfortable one!

I am going through something similar, although I am lucky enough to have just one tooth involved (also an upper front). It had a crown on, but the crown broke and the tooth underneath could not be saved. It all happened so fast, on Tuesday I had no cares in the world regarding my teeth, and by Thursday lunchtime I had had a front tooth extracted and a partial plate with a false tooth on in its place. (Also on the NHS, it sounds similar to the one you have). I was so horrifed by the whole thing! The first day I was so upset that I had a bit of a childish paddy, throwing things in frustration and crying and saying out loud, "I don't WANT this stupid thing in my mouth. I want my tooth back!!" I'm 56...... I thought the time for tantrums had passed, but evidently not! :redface: My husband did not know whether to laugh or cry - I told him if he wanted to stay married, he had better not laugh!

My boss (a doctor), who went through the same thing a few years ago, said to me that it is normal to grieve when we lose front teeth - they are a part of us that have gone and so integral to our looks and self-esteem that we go through a mourning process before acceptance and moving on. (I have to get more of a grip, though - at the moment I am studying everyone I see, in the supermarket for example, envying what looks like perfect front teeth on everyone. I am sure some of them are false, too! At home, I even look at the dogs and envy their perfect pearly whites! I told you, I must get a grip! :))

The first time I had to take the plate out was super-scary and I am also afraid to damage the tooth next to it, which is crowned, too. Putting it back in again was a palaver, it took me a minute to even work out what way around it was supposed to go! I sometimes think also that it moves about a bit, and I am not sure that should be happening. I will wait until the extraction site is perfectly healed, and if the plate does not feel 100%, I will go back to the dentist for a readjustment.

On the first day, speech was very difficult, I felt very awkward. The dentist told me I would lisp for a few days, but I am finding T and D and even L and N more difficult to pronounce. My work involves a lot of speaking on the telephone - I have to take a deep breath and mentally get my mouth in gear before I even pick it up. People kindly tell me I don't sound all that different - I think we are so self-conscious that it sounds worse to us than it is.

I also hate eating with the plate in - things get stuck underneath, even liquids seem to trickle underneath and it just feels yucky. This has meant less snacking and I have lost 2 lbs!

However, three days on, apart from continued slight bleeding and some pain, things are looking up! I feel more confident taking the plate out and putting it in, and my mouth is definitely getting better at navigating the plate and producing the correct sounds again. For a couple of minutes off and on I have even managed to forget about it. I hope you are finding the same thing - slowly getting better!

I am confident that the awkwardness and frustration will go and we will adapt to our new circumstances. Also remember that you are not alone in this. Let us know how you get on - take care! :grouphug:

Best wishes to you from Annie M.

Last edited:
I'm Dr. Thomas Karmen, and I must say you are in a majority with this kind of problem. It sounds as though you had what we refer to as an immediate removable partial denture placed. Do not worry because it's common to have difficulty at first if the tissues haven't healed properly before the insertion of the partial. Your dentist is well aware of this and will reline or adjust it so it fits properly but be patient because you need to heal more before it can have its final adjustments. Trust your dentist in that I'm certain he knows of your problem and will take care of your concerns.

Hi Jasmin, I know exactly where you are coming from but I hope you will start to feel better soon. You are far from alone in this. If your plate really does not fit properly, your dentist will take care of that - possibly all that is needed is a little adjustment. Don't soldier on with something that you suspect is not right, go back to your dentist and get it sorted. It can be, don't worry. You will have a plate, but a properly fitting, comfortable one!

I am going through something similar, although I am lucky enough to have just one tooth involved (also an upper front). It had a crown on, but the crown broke and the tooth underneath could not be saved. It all happened so fast, on Tuesday I had no cares in the world regarding my teeth, and by Thursday lunchtime I had had a front tooth extracted and a partial plate with a false tooth on in its place. (Also on the NHS, it sounds similar to the one you have). I was so horrifed by the whole thing! The first day I was so upset that I had a bit of a childish paddy, throwing things in frustration and crying and saying out loud, "I don't WANT this stupid thing in my mouth. I want my tooth back!!" I'm 56...... I thought the time for tantrums had passed, but evidently not! :redface: My husband did not know whether to laugh or cry - I told him if he wanted to stay married, he had better not laugh!

My boss (a doctor), who went through the same thing a few years ago, said to me that it is normal to grieve when we lose front teeth - they are a part of us that have gone and so integral to our looks and self-esteem that we go through a mourning process before acceptance and moving on. (I have to get more of a grip, though - at the moment I am studying everyone I see, in the supermarket for example, envying what looks like perfect front teeth on everyone. I am sure some of them are false, too! At home, I even look at the dogs and envy their perfect pearly whites! I told you, I must get a grip! :))

The first time I had to take the plate out was super-scary and I am also afraid to damage the tooth next to it, which is crowned, too. Putting it back in again was a palaver, it took me a minute to even work out what way around it was supposed to go! I sometimes think also that it moves about a bit, and I am not sure that should be happening. I will wait until the extraction site is perfectly healed, and if the plate does not feel 100%, I will go back to the dentist for a readjustment.

On the first day, speech was very difficult, I felt very awkward. The dentist told me I would lisp for a few days, but I am finding T and D and even L and N more difficult to pronounce. My work involves a lot of speaking on the telephone - I have to take a deep breath and mentally get my mouth in gear before I even pick it up. People kindly tell me I don't sound all that different - I think we are so self-conscious that it sounds worse to us than it is.

I also hate eating with the plate in - things get stuck underneath, even liquids seem to trickle underneath and it just feels yucky. This has meant less snacking and I have lost 2 lbs!

However, three days on, apart from continued slight bleeding and some pain, things are looking up! I feel more confident taking the plate out and putting it in, and my mouth is definitely getting better at navigating the plate and producing the correct sounds again. For a couple of minutes off and on I have even managed to forget about it. I hope you are finding the same thing - slowly getting better!

I am confident that the awkwardness and frustration will go and we will adapt to our new circumstances. Also remember that you are not alone in this. Let us know how you get on - take care! :grouphug:

Best wishes to you from Annie M.

Thank you so so much Annie for replying and your kind words, you really cheered me up and made me smile! I so get what you mean about noticing everone elses pearly whites! It is all I see everywhere! I have also found the whole process pretty horrifying which sounds pretty melodramatic I know but that is a pretty acurate description of how it has felt.

The good news is my dentist who I saw today agreed that my partial does not fit and has made another impression for a new set (thank god!) so hopefully in a few weeks I will have a set that fits. I totally agree that with each day, I am adjusting, it doesn't feel as huge and alien in my mouth as it did the day before and my speech is sounding a bit more like myself!

I still hate it, don't want it but it's getting better :) This site is so great and people like youself offering support who know what is really like makes all the difference in the world :) I hope you too will continue to carry on adjusting and become comfortable with your new tooth!

Also, thank you too Dr Karmen for replying, I have a lot more confidence in my dentist today, I was worried as it is a new dentist I am seeing but you were right that my dentist has addressed my concerns, much to my relief!

Also, does anyone have any tips to help with my speech sounding so bad :( Thank you so much in advance.[/quote]

Hi Annie and welcome to the forum.

I had an upper partial fitted a couple of years ago and had the same probs with speech............well I thought I sounded different but my partner said there was no real difference. But, just to be sure, I used the voice recorder on my pc and recorded myself talking and counting from 60 to 69 etc, and sure enough, there was no real difference..........you'll soon get the hang of it.

Good luck

There are some limitations that can affect the outcome with partial dentures. With recent extractions, depending on the ridge that's present, there can be bulbulous undercut areas which prevent the partial denture flange from covering up completely. This can really put a downer on a new partial since it ends up looking bad, fitting bad, and leaving bad impressions on the patient. Hopefully your dentist will be able to offer some solutions to get the partial looking better, but do realize that sometimes what nature offers isn't the easiest to deal with when it comes to partial denture work.

I also have an ill fitting partial. I'm hoping things will get better. Three years ago my nephew and I were playing baseball. He hit the ball and the ball hit me... right in the mouth. It broke seven of my top front teeth. At that time I couldn't afford major dental work and I'm finally able to get them fixed. Last week I had 10 teeth surgically removed; the seven broken teeth, my 2 top wisdom teeth and 1 bottom molar that cracked from grinding my teeth. I got a partial to replace the seven broken teeth but I hate it. It doesn't fit properly and it looks like I bought them in a hobby shop. I also can't close my mouth completely because the part of the partial that goes on the roof of my mouth is too thick and my bottom teeth hit it preventing my mouth from closing. I can't eat because I can't chew my food. Add to that my chosen profession. I'm a musician and have been playing flute for more than 30 years. Now playing is difficult at best. I feel like I was better off with the broken teeth. I could at least eat without choking and do what I love most, play my flute. Now I've spent almost $15k and I look funny, I can't eat and I can't play. Please tell me things will get better.
Lori

he problem is that your partial just doesn't fit. Does your dentist understand that you are a flute player????
You are very sensitive to any changes. I would strongly recommend against a removable appliance for musicians (air) and singers. I have a flute player now that I am planning an implant supported fixed porcelain/pink pocelain/pink composite retrievable appliance so that she can continue to play and I can maintain and adjust it for her for years to come.

Hi there, I know where you are coming from, I have had a lot of problems with my teeth recently a bridge I had fitted has upset the nerves and my bite, but that's another story.

I just wanted to say I really know where you are coming from and really feel for you, I am in fear at the moment of losing my teeth and am constantly looking at people like you and envying their teeth and wishing none of this had ever happened. I have been depressed and suffered panic attacks and been thinking how on earth will I cope... I am sure I will be devastated.

Thinking of you and wishing your problem get sorted soon :grouphug: love Sue x

Last edited:
Back