• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

HELP! Been years since dentist.. now front tooth rot?

R

Rainbowzz

EEEEEEEEEEkkkk.....

I am freaking out!

Its been years since i went to the dentist, due to fear of pain.(I think i need a new dentist, because he is very... heavy handed to say the least)

Anyways, the other day between my front two bottom teeth was hurting. Tonight when i went to brush, i looked in the mirror because i suddenly noticed it looked like i had something black/brown stuck in the bottom between them, and going up the sides of them a little.

to my dismay, it appears to be a large cavity of some sort/rot.. its slight, it doesnt even cover much of the tooth, but after trying to get it out with a toothpick thats when I realized it wasnt pepper or something but a problem with the actual tooth.

As well, there is an even slighter brown spot on the bottom tooth to the left of that one. Also a tiny hole.

Can this be repaired? I will be going to the dentist tomorrow... I am just WORRIED. I am only 27, I dont want to lose my front teeth already!~

signed,

worried and possibly rotten?:censored:

Hi there :welcome:,
it does sound as if a new dentist is in order, if you describe your current dentist as "heavy-handed"!! Can you change your appointment and see someone else instead? Maybe you could get recommendations from friends, acquaintances, family or colleagues for a kind, caring and painless dentist! There is also a board with recommendations for dentists on this forum.

I'm not a dentist, though from your description it certainly sounds as if it can be fixed (it might even be just staining).

Wishing you all the best with your search for a new dentist :grouphug:

:thumbsup:I have already found a new dentist :)

Im actually feeling much much much better about it. Im still nervous as heck. But I called the other dentist in our very small town after my aunt said he is very gentle and with her is willing to start, stop, breathe, take a break, conversate, whatever she needs to get through it. and I guess she said she THINKS but is not sure that he offers laughing gas as well, which i had during labor with my son and I, well, i wont lie, i thought it was fabulous stuff LOL.

On any hand, This guy often works with kids too. So i spoke with him,(can you beileve it - the dentist himself was willing to get on the phone with me! thats pretty impressive in itself) and talk to me about things.. i completely forgot to ask about the gas, but he said hes totally willing to just take appointment one to check things out, and then we can go from there. With Dr Heavy Hands i would go in to get an emergent tooth checked out and within an hour i would have a tooth ripped out, novocaine, the whole nine yards and hes very rough so it would leave me feeling traumatized and horribly sore.. the last time he pulled a very back molar my cheeks BRUISED! Apparently thats not very common.

So anyways he said he is VERY used to adults, and even children! who have intense fear issues. He said he can also reccomend an extra two doses(basicaly up to 2 double doses) of the anxiety benzodiazepine i already take daily before I go see him.

And i was mentioning my 17 month old son and how his teeth are coming in soooo slow, and hes just getting molars, so he said to bring him too with me.. and joked and said if i wanted to see how gentle he is, jeremy can go first LOL.So thats good in a way - i can see how he is with jeremy and then I will have an idea what hes like... he cant be any worse than heavy hands mcgillicuddy...lol.

He said based off what i told him, i probably will NOT lose the teeth themselves. At worst its probably going to be a root canal, and at best just a filling :) but of course no way to know without lookin:magicwand:

That's fantastic news :jump:!!! I hope you'll be very happy with your new dentist :). If you'd like to recommend him at any stage, you can do so in the Dentist Reviews section.

Fair play to you - he sounds great :thumbsup:!

yes im quite astonished at how easy this seems to have been - we live a good hour away from any other towns, and our village is only 900 some people in the core of the village. I totally was expecting to really have to drive about four hours to get to the big city near us, Halifax(Nova scotia canada! Im in cape breton!)

If this works out it will be wonderful and I'll be happy to reccomend him on this site.

So far, so good!

I do plan when i go in for the looksee, to explain I have slight to moderate PTSD.. and Panic disorder(which is why i already take benzos) and I have tricks up my sleeve that i need to use when im in triggering situations.. Certain words, sayings, ways of saying things I use to ground me that the dental team should know incase i float off in PTSD-Dissociation or Panic Land lol.

Hes closed now, But Im going to call in the morning again to see if they offer the NO2-O2. I'll let you guys know!:hug2:

Sounds like you are on the right tract and making great choices. If you want some other anxiety calming techniques, PM me and I will give you the ones I use with my patients.

I am confident your dental challenges will be fixed quickly and easily. I hope you forge a wonderful relationship with the new dentist.

All the best to you. :)

I know the original post is now 5 years old but I too live in a small village in Cape Breton and have very similar (altho' much worse) dental problems. I am very curious if this person ever named the dentist they found.
Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Back