• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can nerve damage from an extracted tooth cause my eye to twitch?

S

ShequitaJonze

One week ago today, I braved the dentist and had my molar on my right side all the way in the back extracted. It had broken due to a cavity and my wisdom tooth pushing on it tryng to come out. I made the decision to have it pulled instead of a root canal and crown. (I was tortured when I was little by a saditst jerk of a quack that held the title of "dentist") Skip to a week ago, they gave me 5 shots to numb it. Every time they thought they had it under control, he'd start tryig to pull it and I'd still feel it. \He was awesome and gentle AND gave me the time needed to compose myself a couple of times. The tooth wouldn't budge, so he had to cut it and remove it in pieces. The first half was the worst, because the roots were curving under, but the rest came out easier (albeit in pieces). That afternoon, my right eye started twitching. Not enough that you could see it, but enough that I noticed. It was the brow & lid area. Also, the area abouve where it was pulled and the teeth in the front also hurt. Is this possible nerve damage?
I've been so careful about eating and brushing. Monday night I switched pain meds and I finally got some relief and it stopped twitching and everything looked like it was getting better and was even feeling better. Last night, I went out to eat. I made sure not to eat anything too tough, chewy, hard or that had particles. Today it's swolen again, throbbing and I'm twitching. It's all starting to drive me crazy. I'd hate to have to go back to the dentist just for him to tell me I'm fine. Am I overly paranoid? Is this normal?

If it's still sore, then it might be a dry socket. Best get it looked at by your dentist.

No dry socket here. The clot is still intact and you can even see the tissue healing.

So is it still swollen and throbbing?

6 days after getting it pulled, I thought I was good to finally eat real food b/c it was healing up pretty well. I was careful about what I ate, nothing hard, crunchy, or with particles. I chewed everything very well on the opposite side. I rinsed well when I got home. The next morning everything was swollen and throbbing and my eye started twitching again. It's better though now, but it still bothers me here and there. That is mostly in my jaw when I yawn too big or move it a certain way. My eye still twitches occasionally. Here's part of the problem, too. My wisdom tooth behind it was starting to erupt, and when my tooth broke, it started erupting more, and now that the tooth in the front of it was removed it's erupting even more. The dentist said it could eventually take it's place but it would take a ong time (years), and he also had to put a great deal of pressure on my jaw before deciding to cut the tooth and remove it in sections. I'm sure all of these factors are slowing my healing process. That and I'm getting older so I don't heal as quickly as I used to. I'm just concerned about nerve damage.

I'm so petrified about going back and having SOMETHING ELSE possibly wrong it makes me sick thining about it.

Back