• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken & chipped tooth - dentist closed till Monday pain pills make me sick?

F

faith4jesus

Broken & chipped tooth - dentist closed till Monday pain pills make me sick?

It's me again.

I went to the dentist yesterday due to a broken & chipped tooth. He saw I was in a lot of pain and told me to schedule for next week. Plus he gave me pain pills to hold me over till then.

The receptionist couldn't find an appointment right away and said she'd call us soon. They didn't call yesterday afternoon & the dentist is closed till Monday.

Last night my pain got A LOT worse. I took two pain pills and like in the past I felt very sick to my stomach. I didn't throw up but still this morning I feel sick.

The dentist website showed they are open a few hours this morning but I called and they are closed till Monday. It said leave a message and they'd call me back Monday but I didn't leave one. Plus it had an number for emergencies.

Now I thought I'd take some Advil (which upsets my stomach and gives me cramps) but the problem is if it doesn't work I'm stuck waiting 6hrs to take a pain pill.

I could take a pain pill (just one this time) but well I'm think it will make me throw up. (I'm a stay at home mom with 3 kids. My oldest is 13, next a 9yr old & 7yr old. They are here with me)

But, if I do throw up guess that would make things an emergency. I could call and get some diff. pills hopefully plus letting my dentist know the pain I am in.

I hate of thinking of sitting around in pain till Monday then only to be told to wait again a few days or I hope not a week. (sigh)

What do you think?

My pain isn't awful & I have high pain level ((I had natural childbirth plus I have a few very painful chronic illnesses such a IC a painful bladder disorder) & I get migraines a lot. But I am HURTING.

Sorry so long. Feeling lost and worried.

To make things even WORSE my birthday is Sunday. My kids have been looking forward to taking me out and I am sure something is planned at my mother in laws on Sunday. I know I won't feel up to an hour right there, visiting plus eating (eating hurts) & then another hour ride back.

Re: Broken & chipped tooth - dentist closed till Monday pain pills make me sick?

If I were you I would call that emergency number and tell them you are hurting a lot more and you need some different pain meds. That's the sort of thing that number is there for. I'm sorry you're hurting, it's no fun at all, and while I too have a pretty high pain threshold there's something about tooth pain that's just extra-difficult when it happens.

I hope you feel better soon!

Re: Broken & chipped tooth - dentist closed till Monday pain pills make me sick?

thank you. I'm thinking that is just I may do.

I agree. If your pain meds are not working well enough call the emergency number and see what they have to say. Someone has to be there who can prescribe something for you.
Besides, its no fun having a birthday when you are in pain.

I just called the emergency phone number and left a message. Sounded like it may be an answering machine since it mentioned a womans name along with it.

Hopefully it is one of those that page you when you get a message left. I did that one for a friend and was started she called back saying she was on her cell phone.

So hopefully he will call me back soon.

I'm going to have some more potatoes for lunch and if he hasn't call me back by then i'll take just one pill.

I still haven't heard back from my dentist.

It's been 4hrs now.

I took one pain pill this time. It has helped some but I still can feel pain through it. The two did work leaving me with very little pain just made me very nauseous.

A few people have suggested to me to ask for some anti nausea med which I may do if he calls me back.

Oh dear. I'm surprised they didn't get back to you sooner. :(

BTW, I am not a medical or dental professional, but I was told I could take both ibuprofen and my narcotic pain meds at the same time, and I've been told that by other docs before as well. What say any of our resident dentists?

Yes you can mix narcotics and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, not a problem. A lot of narcotics have NSAIDs in with them though, so you need to check labels.

Back