• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why did I look up Crown procedures?

O

olivacs

I could just beat myself up...

I am going in for my crown prep. and temp crown on Thursday and have not been so nervous yet until now. What possessed me to google crown and crown prep? I had no idea that they drill the tooth down SO much to prepare for the crown. It looks like they drill it almost to the gumline.

I am also worried that the temp crown is going to fall off because my partial extends across the back of my mouth and will cover where the crown is going.

After seeing those pictues part of me just wants to deal with my tooth as is rather than drilling it to its core. UGH!!!

I know I will go thru with it but someone please tell me why I was so dumb to research this and see the pictures of it all!

I know what you're saying Olivacs -- try and picture what your tooth will look like with the crown, rather than that what the procedure looks like! I don't look at any stuff like that. My dentist (feels wierd saying that, but 4 appointments in 2 weeks I guess I can now) asked if he wanted to me explain what he was doing -- I said absolutely not -- just tell me when to open my mouth and when I can shut it again. I've had 3 crowns and they really aren't as bad as you might think ...... best of luck.

Hello:

I agree, crowns are not difficult. The amount of tooth material that is removed varies, but it is not into the core of the tooth. The actual removal process takes only a few minutes. The tooth is built up with a solid filler material. The temp crown is very solid and is designed to last for months, even though it only takes a week or two to get the permanent crown.

The descriptions on the Internet are not always accurate and usually cause more problems than they solve. I can tell you from experience that most of the crown appointment is waiting while the temp crown is made and shaped in the lab.

You are experiencing anticipatory anxiety where you are seeing the worst that can happen, even though none of it has happened. having a crown is not any more difficult on you than having a filling.

My advice is not to dwell on this and resist the temptation of "Googleitis"
You will do great and be surprised at how easy the whole thing is.

Blessings. :)

hey olivacs
stress doc loves that word doesn't he "googleitis" I love it its great. Anyway everyone at some point is guilty of having it its because you know it will tell you about the procedure you think you will feel better but when it tells you about it you just end up reading the worst bits or parts that could go wrong and it makes you worse !!!
Remember the dentist has done this hundreds if not thousands of times you are no different to anyone else having one and im sure the dentist will be able to help you through it its just another day at the office for them. Also even though you now know what they're going to do you wont feel it and it will be quicker than you think.
Just think of yr list another big cross through one of them it will feel great and i know you can do it i think yr amazing already!!!
Love and hugs my googled friend !!!!
Emma

Hi Olivacs. I too have been guilty of this, especially late at night when I can't sleep and my partner has gone to bed. And then it makes me even it harder for me to sleep! I have been in tears at some point reading about things that I have to deal with (wisdom teeth extraction), but recently I have made a conscious effort not to do it and have felt a lot better for it. It's not easy though when the computer is at easy reach and the mind wanders... Keep posting on this forum though, because while you are posting here you can't google! :thumbsup:

Thanks so much everyone! I am a bit more relaxed but still freaked out!
I will not google anymore about this but I really can't wait for it to be over. As long as the temp is strong enough to last the two weeks I wait for the permanent one I will be ok. Just don't want to be on vacation and it breaks or falls off.

Aw, hug, Olivia. Add me to the guilty of Googleitis club. My own temp crown lasted the two weeks just fine and the actual amount of dentist time during my appointment was minimal. I have faith you will come through with flying colors and just think will then be one step closer to your dental ordeal being over. :) :cloud9:

Mona

Hi there Olivacs,
Just wanted to chime and say that I have found it much to my benefit to stay away from google in these situations--it just makes it worse.
And I agree with Stress Doc. Getting my crown was not hard at all. In fact, this was the easiest of all procedures I have had done. And my tooth looks beautiful! And dont worry that the temp will fall off--mone had to be pried off:)

Well about 45 minutes until my appointment! I am freaking out but keep telling myself it will soon be all over. The dentist promised to baby me so I should feel better than I do. I think my biggest fear is not so much the work involved but the fear of the temp falling off and not being able to get to the dentist. Why do our minds let us act like this? UGH!

Drummerswife, yours had to be pried off? My dentist said usually she needs to do the same with her patients because she likes to be sure the temp will last them so she makes sure its on tight. Here's hoping!

The worst part of it all is my nerves...
Will report when I get back..

hey olivacs
been thinking of you lots and I really really hope everything goes well i know you will be fine though and I cant wait to read yr good news !!!
Love and hugs
Emma

I'm back and alive!!
Honestly it was worse than I expected...the molds were insane!! I felt like I was going to gag to death.
They had to calm me down because I was crying so hard. They had to give me two sets of injections because the first ones wore off.

The dentist made me relax and took her time which was nice. She said good thing I had the crown done because there were 4 cracks in that tooth.

I go back in 3 weeks for the permanent one...just hoping the temp one lasts.

YOU DENTIST SAW 4 CRACKS IN YOUR TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dentist can't see any and I have to get my tooth pulled, which is REALLY bothering me.

I really need to know what you are feeling in that tooth. Is there sensitivity, pain, anything at all? How can they see 4 cracks in your tooth and have it cured by a crown and I have to get mine pulled???

Can you tell me your symptoms so I can try to make some sense out of what I'm going through. I assume you had RCT on that tooth? Did it have any feeling afterwards? I feel a mild numb kind of pain sometimes, and absolutely cannot chew with it. Do you have any issues chewing?

I really appreciate the help on this.

Leela,
I had broken a piece of that tooth off months back. It had a filling in it placed many many years ago. Back when she did my consultation she first said we needed to extract it. She then did a few tests on that specific tooth and said a crown would actually work. Today when she was doing the work drilling and removing the old filling is when she noticed all of the cracks. The cracks were not all the way thru the tooth but half-way thru. I did not have a root canal done in that tooth nor have I had any pain in the tooth either.
I had no problems chewing on it either.
I would get another opinion and see if they could save your tooth.

hey olivacs
wow well done im sorry it was worse than you expected but so so glad you've done it now !! cross the list yay!!!!!
I know what you mean about moulds i dont like them much very messy but not too bad and they dont take too long to do or mine didnt.
I hope yr temp crown is ok its a good job you got this sorted now from the sound of it 4 cracks could have got a lot worse !!
anyway i hope yr really proud of yrself you should be !!!
Emma

I'm proud of you, too, Olivia and so sorry the appointment did not go better for you. :/ I am not big fan of impressions either. Glad you are through with that part and onto much better (non-dental) things. Have a great weekend.

Mona

Thanks everyone for the support!!
Well after my appointment yesterday I went home and after the numbness wore off the bite did not seem right. I called them and they told me to come back and they adjusted it. I walked out feeling good until this morning. I woke up, put my partial in...which by the way went in smoother than ever, but then noticed my bite was not right again.
I tried to ignore it, came to work and every time I spoke to a customer my teeth on that side were smashing into each other. the top was hitting my bottoms and on the other side no teeth were in contact. So I called yet again...left work dorve the 45 minutes to my home and had yet another adjustment and now flew back to work. I am besides myself and so stressed out!!!

I am wondering why the difference in the bite overnight. This is only the temp. crown..is this how the permanent will be? Starting Monday I am on vacation and don't want to have to worry with anything teeth related but it appears I will be worried the whole time!!

hey olivacs
oh dear im really sorry yr teeth dont seem right I really hope they can be sorted soon for you. Sounds like just slight adjustments but like you said you dont want anything to worry about when yr on vacation ( i used the american word im learning fast!!!!). I really hope they can solve yr problems quickly you dont need to be going back every 5 mins !!!!!
love and hugs
Emma

Hi hun,

I'm sorry to here your having problems. A close friend of mine has a crown and went through a similar situation with hers. Keep going back until it feels right. Hopefully they sort it quickly for you

WEll Done!! Olivacs:jump::jump::jump:

Sorry to hear about trouble with the molds but wait til you see your new crown! Its going to be beautiful. I love mine. My tooth has never looked so good.
Dont worry about the temp. Mine was stick on so well, it didnt budge

Back