• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3 fillings tomorrow - YUCK!!!!!!!!!!

L

leela

Hi all,

Geez, I see a lot of new posters since a few months ago when I was most active, I wonder if anyone from then is still around? I know Emma is. Hey Emma!!

My dentist wants to replace 3 20-year old fillings and I promised her I would go through with it and tomorrow is the day. I almost cancelled a few times today, but I have to suck it up and just do it. I'll just make sure I'm good and drugged up before I go.

This is supposed to be preventative so that these teeth don't suffer the same fate as the one I came on here about months ago. The one that I ended up having filled, root canaled, then crowned, and all for nothing as it looks like there is no doubt it will now need to be pulled. It was a cracked/fractured tooth. I'm actually very bitter and resentful that I had to go through all this for nothing. I know technically it's not the dentist's fault, but I'm still outraged that dental technology still hasn't progressed far enough to be able to at the very least detect, if not be able to fix, a cracked tooth.

It seems like the profession has come leaps and bounds in pain relief and whitening, but everything else still seems like it's back in the 50's. :mad:

Whew, it feels good to get that off my chest, thanks for letting me vent.

PS - just a note, the tooth that I will end up needing pulled had $4000 CAD worth of stuff done to it. Thank God all but $300 was covered by insurance, but it's still infuriating.

Last edited:
hey Leela
Just to say im thinking of you and i cant wait to hear that everything went well like i know it will!!
After everything you've been through you'll manage it no probs im sure.
Its such a shame about yr tooth having to be pulled anyway god it would have been so much easier if it had just been done in the first place but i know yr dentist tried everything to save it and you've been so brave too !!
Like you said good job the insurance covered most of it i dont understand yr money at all but it sounds like a lot !!
Anyway let us know how today goes its 5pm here and im not sure when yr appointment is so good luck !!
Love and hugs
Emma:XXLhug:

Good Luck Leela! All good wishes that this step will finally bring you the comfort and peace you should have had long ago. As Emma said, you sure have been so brave during your ordeal. I'm just sorry it's been so prolonged.

:hug2:

Mona

Thanks guys - I have to take my drugs any second now, my appt. is in 45 minutes and I want to make sure I'm good and out of it by then.

You know as much as I've been through this now, I'm still terrified. A part of me feels like I won't even get through the appt. and that I should have cancelled it yesterday like my gut was telling me to do.

Dental appt. on a Friday afternoon - what was I thinking?????????

YYYUUUCCCKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'd feel better about it if I knew this was the final step, which it was supposed to be. But the fact that the other tooth is still going to cause me a lot of grief in the coming months is very depressing.

Oh well, here I go, down some drugs and get ready. Blech.

Hi there

How did it go? Was thinking bout you.

Husband and I have to go 3 weeks Monday - him for a filling, me for a clean. He is having nightmares already and is threatening to cancel. Probably shouldn't but he normally has a glass of something too!

Last edited:
No Fillings!

Hi everyone,

Well, I didn't get the fillings. I'm starting to wonder about my dentist. Clearly she did not want to do them and talked me out of it. I know I'm a horrible dental patient, and I think she is scared to death to work on me. Before me she gave a filling to a 7 or 8 year old, but me she couldn't do. I've been through a heck of a year, and she knows some of the things that have gone on, and she said, "you've been through so much this year, I don't want to cause you any more pain". We aren't really friends, but I guess you could say we aren't just dentist/patient either - there is a bit of a relationship there outside the dental office - we went to the same church, etc. and know a little about each other.

She went on to tell me how with the three bottom fillings she would need to give me a "nerve block" and that it could hurt more than the top filling, and that she'd have to use something to keep my mouth open (this may have been due to the fact that I took a lot of Ativan and may have fallen asleep. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think she was kind of hoping for that actually, maybe then she could have done it. But I have this freaky thing going on where drugs do not have any affect on me until after I leave her office. The whole time I was there I was really freaked out, which I think is a big part of the reason she didn't want to work on me, she was hoping I'd be knocked out by the drugs. But 10 minutes after I left her office, I was out like a light. Once I relax the drugs kick in, but I can never get this to happen when I'm in the chair.

So, she recommended I go to a different dental office and have the fillings done under IV sedation. Coincidentally, the office she recommended was the one I used to go to before her, I just switched because of the distance.

She said for me to just go to her office for routine cleanings and stuff.

So that's my sad story. My dentist is afraid of me.

Hi there

Sorry you didn't get it sorted this time. Maybe she was trying to be kind rather than being scared? I mean I bet every person who posts on here could be seen as 'difficult' to a dentist, it's just how they handle us.

If you didn't mind your own dentist, could it be a sign that it's best to go back there?

Thinking of you, you sound really down

HI there - well she has been my dentist for about 6 years, maybe more. Before that I went to the other place she recommended, so it's been a long, long time since they've seen me. Luckily for 20 years I've needed no dental work, but now it seems like it's all catching up.

I called the dental office I used to go to, they are away until August 4. I left myself a note to call them when they are back.

Thankfully this is just for pretty routine stuff, no pain or anything. But that's why she wanted me to get this taken care of now - before they (the teeth) start causing me trouble. I've already had one tooth do that and it's been brutal.

Yep, it's definetely a bit on the depressing side. :cry:

Thanks for asking about how it went though, I really appreciate it. :)