Background: During a rather over due routine NHS dental checkup (about 14 years!) I was advised that I had some decay in an upper molar. Following this visit I had a white filling done two weeks ago (without the need for an injection). I noticed some sharp pain whilst eating harder food from that first day but I presumed that this was normal. I went easy on it whilst eating during the first week but during the second week I began to 'test it' more and more whilst eating and following a day of 'intense testing' I decided I need to return to the dentist to see if there was a problem. I saw the dentist yesterday and they got me to bite on the cotton rolls to confirm that it was the same tooth that they had filled that was causing the problem and then advised that the filling was fine and it was the nerve that was the problem as it had been a deep decay (although they hadn't mentioned this at the time). They advised that they would have to do root canal work to remove it. that was the full extent of the 30 second checkup. I have been sent away with a perscription for antibiotics (not sure why) and told that treatment should begin in 2 weeks. I feel a bit let down by the whole process. My teeth had been causing me no problems before I went in for the check up/filling and now I have been left with this pain whilst eating and the need to take a whole weeks worth of two different antibiotics followed by further procedures. My tooth is fine when not eating, it does not hurt when I clench my teeth, I cannot make it hurt whilst pressing it and I have not noticed any sensitivity to hot or cold. Following the day of increased testing my tooth was/is more sensitive and pain sharper but I am not sure if it is the increased use that has made it worse or whether it has got worse on its own. I am avoiding eating on that side of my mouth for the time being.
I have read that white fillings can cause discomfort for a number of weeks? (Although I was not advised this) Is this correct and should I wait a bit longer before seeking treatment?
Should my dentist be so quick to recommend root canal treatment?
I have read that in some circumstances replacing the filling could help as problems could be caused by the bond not setting properly? (remembering the distant look on the dentists face and the wandering light/heat gun this could be a possibility?)
Should I go for a second opinion?
Is it necessary to take the antibiotics?
Starting to wish I had waited a bit longer before visiting the dentist !!!!!