• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pain After White Filling

D

dentist avoider

Background: During a rather over due routine NHS dental checkup (about 14 years!) I was advised that I had some decay in an upper molar. Following this visit I had a white filling done two weeks ago (without the need for an injection). I noticed some sharp pain whilst eating harder food from that first day but I presumed that this was normal. I went easy on it whilst eating during the first week but during the second week I began to 'test it' more and more whilst eating and following a day of 'intense testing' I decided I need to return to the dentist to see if there was a problem. I saw the dentist yesterday and they got me to bite on the cotton rolls to confirm that it was the same tooth that they had filled that was causing the problem and then advised that the filling was fine and it was the nerve that was the problem as it had been a deep decay (although they hadn't mentioned this at the time). They advised that they would have to do root canal work to remove it. that was the full extent of the 30 second checkup. I have been sent away with a perscription for antibiotics (not sure why) and told that treatment should begin in 2 weeks. I feel a bit let down by the whole process. My teeth had been causing me no problems before I went in for the check up/filling and now I have been left with this pain whilst eating and the need to take a whole weeks worth of two different antibiotics followed by further procedures. My tooth is fine when not eating, it does not hurt when I clench my teeth, I cannot make it hurt whilst pressing it and I have not noticed any sensitivity to hot or cold. Following the day of increased testing my tooth was/is more sensitive and pain sharper but I am not sure if it is the increased use that has made it worse or whether it has got worse on its own. I am avoiding eating on that side of my mouth for the time being.
Questions:
I have read that white fillings can cause discomfort for a number of weeks? (Although I was not advised this) Is this correct and should I wait a bit longer before seeking treatment?
Should my dentist be so quick to recommend root canal treatment?
I have read that in some circumstances replacing the filling could help as problems could be caused by the bond not setting properly? (remembering the distant look on the dentists face and the wandering light/heat gun this could be a possibility?)
Should I go for a second opinion?
Is it necessary to take the antibiotics?

Starting to wish I had waited a bit longer before visiting the dentist !!!!!

I'd look for a second opinion.

The lack of LA when placing the filling would lead me to wonder how deep the decay actually was, I don't see any need for antibiotics given your symptoms and you're quite right, sensitivity to biting can happen when a white filling isn't bonded in properly.

hey
i dont see how it can have been a deep filling without la like gordon says ive had tiny fillings as well as deep but never without la ( well not with my new dentist). All my fillings are white but ive not had the problem you describe usually when they say white fillings can cause disconfort it means the sensitivity to hot and cold things not pain the sensitivity does go though after a week or so.
I agree with the others get a second opinion yr perfectly entitled to one.
Emma

Thank you for your replies.
I was given the choice about LA before they started and opted to try without. Wasn't the most pleasant of experiences :) but I would have hoped they would have been more insistent if it had been a deep decay!
Will see if I can get a 2nd opinion next week before I let them loose on my teeth again :)

Well went to a different dentist for a second opinion yesterday, and they took a bit longer to make their diagnosis than the first and it could go one of three ways:
1. Pain could go away on its own :) fingers crossed for this option!!
or 1st filling is removed and depending on what is found :
2: temporary filling and antibiotics followed by replacement of the filling
3: as 2 only they do the root canal treatment as well.

They checked the bite and this was ok and they said sometimes white fillings can cause sensitivity and I guess I was one of the unlucky ones !?

Going to wait another 2 weeks (which will take me till 5 weeks in total) and if I still have pain the filling will have to be removed and we will go from there :(

getting quite used to eating on one side now though, could probably keep that up indefinately but not sure if thats a good idea ?!

This is almost exactly like what Im going through, not exactly, but close.

Im curious how bad the pain is? On a scale 1-10, how painful is it? I mean are you able to sleep at night? Also, sometimes does it hurt worse than others?

Well I do wish the best for you. I hope it goes away in 2 weeks, only time will tell.

Best of wishes.

Sounds like you may have it worse than I do. I have no problems at all when I am not eating, so sleeping is not a problem at all - thankfully.
Hurts when I eat to varying degrees possibly depending on how hard the food is and where it sits on the tooth. On a scale of 1-10 probably gets no worse than a 7 although that may be me trying to convince myself that it really isn't that bad and I really can avoid the dentist for a bit longer! Soft food usually causes no pain at all.

Hope things improve for you too

Back