• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm so scared :(

J

J.C.

Im really terrified about going to the dentist. I havent gone since I was about 14, and now I'm 20 and I know i really need to go. I have a small cavity on both of my front teeth, and have gingivitis, and a few of my back teeth are cavities from when I was young, so they are pretty much rotted. Some of them are even loose. I got a sonicare toothbrush back when I had a root canal when I was 14, and so it works, but I'm just scared that they might have to pull all my teeth or something, since I havent been in so long. :( I really dont wanna lose my teeth since im still so young. I've heard they have alot to do these days that can save your teeth, but im just petrified.

I know it sounds bad that I never went, but I was suffering from depression for a long time and so it made me just not care, and I'm just now trying to restore the health of my teeth, but im so scared that its too late. I even cry when i think about it.

Hi J.C. - I've just this second joined this site.

I just wanted to tell you that I know exactly how you feel, I didn't go to the dentist for a long time either. I started having gum problems and went to see someone last year, they tried to help but then retired and I couldn't make myself go back and see someone different. It has taken over my life really, I cover my mouth when I speak, I hardly smile, my confidence has taken a real bashing.

I finally decided that I needed to do something and went to see a local dentist. Yesterday I went back and had my first treatment, I used sedation and would really recommend it, I was very nervous about how it would feel but knew I wouldn't have been able to have the work done without it. It was fantastic, I felt so relaxed (I never thought that would be possible!) my husband was with me and we were in there an hour but it honestly only felt like 10 mins! Today I am a bit swollen but I feel so much better, I have taken control and I know that my dentist (that sounds weird!) is going to help me.

I just want to be able to laugh like I used to - I looked at some photos recently before my problem started and it felt like I was looking at a different person. I want to be that person again!

Just take it one step at a time, make an appointment and tell them you just want to talk the first time. You can do it! x

:XXLhug:Hi,
just reading your post and your teeth sound exactly like mine. though mine is prb 1,000,000 times worse!! Im 21 and havnt been in since I was a child prb 10 years!! I knew I needed to go because if I kept putting it off I would always do it. So after years of crying, covering my mouth when I speak, no confidence etc etc.. I gave in and my friend booked an appointment. that was about 2 months ago and now I have to wait until the end of August. which is annoying because now all I want is my teeth fixed. nervous as I am, this site has made it 100 times better because everyone here goes through it. I am a nervous wreck atm, Ill prb be kicking and screaming before I go, although I am reassured that the dentist today has changed from it was when I was younger. And also the lady dentist who I am going to has treats nervous patients, which is a bonus!!
Hope you get your appointment soon!

:welcome:Dont be nervous hun, they are there to help you.

The best step forward would be asking around for recommendations, I asked a few regarding private treatment as they seem to be the only ones who use IV sedation. You can get great feedback if you ask friends and relatives, and you will be surprised how many are just as frightened and worried as you are.

Once you have the recommended dentist, make an appointment to see them and have a chat, this way you can get to know them. And if they are willing to give time to understand you then you know they are considerate and sincere. This gives you the time to tell them that you havent been in such a long time that your teeth are now in need of some help, so the dentist is aware of your fears and what to expect.

If you like what you see and hear about the dentist, the next step is to make an appointment for a check up.

Before you know if you will have that caring dentist who will seem more like a friend than someone you fear.

Your being very brave and adult about all this, some people will ignore there teeths health for 20 years before they finally admit they need help. And like you said your young, your teeth can be strong and healthy if you give them the correct care they need.

One other thing I was told, is that its always good to see a dentist and even the check ups are important, because they check for cancer of the mouth.

So seeing a dentist could save your life. :grouphug:

:welcome: J.C.

As you can see, you've come to the right place.

I was very much like you. I was terrified that the dentist would tell me that I needed to lose all my teeth so, I just avoided going. The difference between you and me is that I waited for 20 years. That was 20 years of letting my fear take over my life. Trust me, you don't want to do that. You deserve to go through your life with confidence - feeling free to smile whenever you want. You'll be amazed at the weight that will be lifted off your shoulders when you finally do visit the dentist.

I was absolutely sick with fear for years. Then, I found a dentist I thought I'd be able to trust and she was able to reassure me within minutes that my fears were unfounded. I'd be willing to bet that your teeth aren't nearly as bad as you think they are, either.

You've received lots of great advice from other posters. I just wanted to say that I think the key is to find a dentist that you think you can trust. Sedation can be a useful thing but I wouldn't make it the deciding factor - especially since it sounds like your fear is based more on what the diagnosis will be than on the procedures themselves. I was the same way. I had thought that I would never be able to face a dentist unless I was sedated but then I found out that the dentist I'd found didn't actually offer sedation. However, she was able to work wonders just with her compassionate attitude and I found that her demeanor gave me the courage to move forward with my treatments.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you.

Hi JC

Just to trump Vict slightly I went 35 years without seeing a dentist!! :scared:(I wonder if that is a record!!). I won't go into detail but my mouth was in hell of a mess. It was just over a year ago when I (I was going to say gritted my teeth but I probably couldn't at the time lol) and made an appointment.

Well I am still on the journey but I have reached a point where I can smile confidently again. Even after 35 years of neglect I have managed to hold onto most of my bottom teeth and they look good now all cleaned up and with white fillings replacing the old amalgam ones. Top was a bigger problem but with some bridgework I think it looks great even with what my dentist calls a temporary solution. It will continue to improve - I plan some implants next year, expensive but I know they will be a good investment. Give me a choice between a flash car and better teeth and it is a no-brainer for me.

Starting to solve the problem was the best decision I ever made. Opening my mouth that first time was horribly embarrassing. But I quickly found I was in safe professional hands and now I don't even worry about vists...in fact it annoys me when I have big gaps between appointments (instead of big gaps between my teeth)! Any pain I have had ....through extractions, root canals, the lot...has been mimimal and I have absolute faith in my dentist.

The main message from anyone who has been through that is this...do it NOW! It won't get any easier. I can't get back the 20 years when I was scared to smile (why I let it happen I really still don't know! :redface:) but I urge anyone who has the choice to avoid it.

Carpe diem!!:)

Just had to jump in here and say Londonscott is so right.

To paraphrase something Stress Doc said avoidance will only make the fear worse, the anxiety greater. It was only when I faced the terror that haunted me for years that I found any peace.

Know that we are all here to help you.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Thanks you guys for all the posts :) Im still scared, but im more calm now. I guess what im REALLY scared of is loosing any of my front teeth. If they end up having to pull some of the back ones, Im fine with that. I've been brushing well, and using mouthwash and it seems to be slowly getting rid of the red around my gums, but im still scared. What if they tell me i have to wear dentures or something?

JC I'm scared of the same thing too. Losing my bottom front teeth. The gums are badly infected and the teeth (from behind) look long. I'm scared that once the cleaning or scaling is done the teeth will fall out from the pressure of cleaning them. They are not exactly loose, but I'm worried any work done on them will losen them up or even worse they have to be extracted. I know there are dentures that can help with that but I cannot afford all that kind of work.

Back