• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Yesterday I had 4 top front teeth extracted and partial denture...

This story sounds exactly like my story but I just had my 4 front teeth removed and a partial put in yesterday Sept.12,2011. So Poppy 36 I was wondering how you are doing with your partial dentures today. I too feel like I have a big lump in my upper lip and so far I am eating soft food. Can you now eat normal food regularely now?

hello ive had just had the same treatment done today ..found it a bit rough to be honest ive had partials put in to but they are moving about when i try to swallow and talk is this normal.....they really feel weird to xxx:confused:

In general your dentist can add some plastic to it so that it will fit tighter

I just had a partial denture for upper 4 front teeth but they are super white compared to the rest of my teeth :(
What can I do?
I think they look fake......
Should I make a complaint? Or wait and see?

hiya everyone i had my day with the dentist yesterday i had 3 front teeth out and partials put in ...today was my day to take them out and clean them which i found ok but was just wondering if it was normal for them not to sit well?i have found even from yesterday the front teeth part of my denture would not sit in the extraction site? same today there is a small small gap between them and my gum and i cant push them in as i am still sore ...i was just worried incase it heals different and my dentures wont fit :( i would really appreciate to hear if anyone else found this a problem and after fighting my dentist phobia i want them to be right xxxxxxxxxx

In general your dentist can add some plastic to it so that it will fit tighter

thanks for the help but he said he would ring me to come back not sure when maybe he told me yesterday but i cant remember much :(x

Hello,
I have read all your post and I need to do what you did but I am so scared and nervous. Congrats for doing that! Looks like your post were quite a while ago. Have you gotten used to the partial by now?
Where did you find a dentist that could give you an immediate partial? I am in need of having several pulled, but not all of them. I don't want to go without the teeth long enough for it to heal, 3 months or so, to get a partial. I want an immediate partial like you got. Please help.
Thank you

Hello...I just wanted to stop in and let people know that Is considering a partial denture, not to be afraid like I was, and end up putting it off for far too long! I had my upper 4 front teeth and one molar removed 4 days ago and an immediate partial denture put in. I had 2 mg of Ativan prescribed before the dental extractions and that along with the lidocaine made it pretty easy to handle. I was in and out in an hour with my beautiful new teeth. I slept most of the first day and didn't really have any pain or discomfort. I didn't notice any swelling and excess saliva like I have read others say was common. The next morning I had an appt with my denturist to check on everything. It felt weird to have the partial come out and I hate how I look without it, but considering how good it looks when it's in, I can live with it. I have not had any pain, the partial fits like a glove and I feel great! I question why I waited so long to do this! I realize that once the gums start to shrink, it wil need adjustments, but my denturist is great and I trust he will get it right. I can start taking it out to sleep beginning tomorrow. I'm sure that will be a bit traumatic especially when I am staying at my boyfriends house, but he has been super supportive of the whole process. The partial already feels like a part of me, and I'm so happy with it! Don't be afraid! The benefits outweigh the negatives!

I just wanted to share another positive story for people out there like myself pouring over every forum they can find, reading all of the stories from people who have been through it! :)

I am having my front 4 teeth out today and i feel a bit better about it after reading your post. I am dreading it,i feel sick! My front teeth are crowns and are loose so i know i need to have it done. implants aren't an option as my bone is rubbish. Just wanted to say it really helped reading a positive post. thank you :)

I am having my front 4 teeth out today and i feel a bit better about it after reading your post. I am dreading it,i feel sick! My front teeth are crowns and are loose so i know i need to have it done. implants aren't an option as my bone is rubbish. Just wanted to say it really helped reading a positive post. thank you :)

Hi SusieJ - I hope you're feeling much better now that it's all done and over with! I'm on my own path to extraction soon too.:cry:

I'm sorry to hear your bone won't support an implant - is a bone graft possible to help this problem for you or ?
You can also opt for a bridge to replace the tooth and you wouldn't have to live with a partial. Bridges are expensive but a well trained technician and dentist should be able to craft one that appears and functions like your real tooth.

and it looks great. I have the pretty smile I wanted. However, I feel like I have a great big lump of plastic in my mouth and am just hoping someone can tell me that you do get used to it.

Also, I took it out to clean today as advised after 24 hours. There is no way in a million years I want my husband to see me without it, and I don't want to take it out at night. I've read all sorts of differing opinions as to whether I should or not...maybe I should put this in the dentistry questions area also.

Just, any positive experiences? Thanks.

What I did was made a custom mouth piece from beads I bought on Amazon. I wear this to hide my opening as well as protect my teeth from grinding to save the rest of my teeth. I don't sleep in my partials unless I absolutely have no choice. My husband has only seen me without my teeth by accident maybe twice. Otherwise, I'm always with my mouthpiece or partials. Also, I couldn't talk with this massive plastic in my mouth either. So, I found a denturist and asked him to cut out the center bulk of my partials which lightened up the weight in my mouth and allowed me to speak clearly.

Last edited:
I wouldn't advise anyone to make a mouthpiece from beads, see a dentist and have a mouth guard made for the night, or buy a sports one.

and it looks great. I have the pretty smile I wanted. However, I feel like I have a great big lump of plastic in my mouth and am just hoping someone can tell me that you do get used to it.

Also, I took it out to clean today as advised after 24 hours. There is no way in a million years I want my husband to see me without it, and I don't want to take it out at night. I've read all sorts of differing opinions as to whether I should or not...maybe I should put this in the dentistry questions area also.

Hi poppy I see you had this treatment a while back now but just wondering how long it took you to deal with this? I've have 4 teeth out today & a partial denture fitted & im hating it & totally dreading have to take it out to the stage where I think I'm having a panic attack. Any advice would be so grateful

Hi Andreagee,

This is the first time I've seen this thread.
I had four front uppers out last November. I know exactly what you mean about feeling panic about taking them out. I still don't like to do it 3 months on but I do.
Admittedly on the first night I didn't, I left them in as I felt swollen and was concerned I might swell up so much I couldn't put them back in the next day.
The next day I was pretty swollen up, gums and face but I did manage to take them out that night.

It does feel very weird in the beginning, eating was pretty bad for the first few days until I found a way aroud it.
I would cut or tear a small bite, pop it in my mouth, split it into two and chew on both sides which seems to balance the plate out.
It took me a good 4-6 weeks to be able to bite down on anything - a chip and a pizza were the first things I could bite down on. I did try on odd occasions before then but it really hurt my extraction sites so I was patient and waited until they were healed up.

Speaking I was OK with in the beginning.
At around 8-10 days I was feeling less stable, having trouble with ch and sh words and I had a panic weekend buying and trying different adhesive.
At that stage I found Polygrip Wernets powder really good.
3 months in this just wasn't feeling quite enough as my gums have shrunk so I've switched to Fixodent Plus which is working.

I also got myself a dictophone this week and that has brough me a big confidence boost as I can properly hear that those dreaded ch and sh words are actually sounding OK to everyone else even when they don't sound right to me.

All this above is a bit of prep for you for things to expect. I would suggest getting a few adhesives in (powder is OK to use when still healing - I am now healed so Fixodent was safe at the stage I am at) so that you don't have a panic weekend like I did - be prepared - shrinkage of your gums will happen and it sent me rock bottom until I solved it.
Overall though I am very happy with my new teeth and wished more than anything that I had gone and done this years ago as it would have saved me so much treatment, money, anxiety and experiences with not very nice dentists.

How are you feeling today?
Sore and swollen I expect..that's OK..part of the process.
Well done for going through with it, it's a big step and does take guts to do it.

They're pulling 4 of my front uppers for a partial plate soon too. I was just wondering how the extraction procedure went, like as far as anxiety goes?
I'm a pretty big guy, and I've been through some stuff in my life, but the thought of going through this process is a little terrifying. Just wondered if you (or anyone else for that matter) had any advice for getting through it all.
-Thanks

I got my four front teeth (7-10) pulled this past Tuesday because the bonding broke off them completely after 10 years and all I had were the roots. My dentist said no saving them so like I said he went ahead pulled him. But the thing is he said I would have to wait two months before I could have a partial put in my mouth. I am wondering why I have to wait two months for that to happen. I just can't stand not having front teeth smiling used to be my best thing about me until I lost my health insurance and my teeth started going to hell in a handbasket due to my wisdom teeth in back messing up my mouth.

To the poster above me did you ever get your teeth out??

Hello Poppy,

I came across this posting as I prepare myself for an upper denture. I am wondering if you can share with me how you are doing with the plate and how long it took you to get used the the having the feeling of a big piece of plastic in your mouth. I am terrified of this. Thank you, I hope all is well.

Hello Poppy,

I came across this posting as I prepare myself for an upper denture. I am wondering if you can share with me how you are doing with the plate and how long it took you to get used the the having the feeling of a big piece of plastic in your mouth. I am terrified of this. Thank you, I hope all is well.

I thought I'd respond seeing as I'm here.
The plate sort of very soon 'became a part pf me' if you will.
I don't have a choice as I can't afford implants and I much prefer the look of my partial to how my own teeth looked.
Speaking was no issue initially but I stuck with soft foods for a while as the pressure on the gum from the denture was a bit harsh at the beginning.
I was working from home less than 2 hours after extractions and having the denture fitted and making calls sounding just as I usually do.

The issues began when my gums started shrinking - my speech went off and eating became more difficult about a week and a half after getting the denture and they started to wobble about and not be stable at all.
I tried a few adhesives but for the first two months powder adhesive was the best for me (and is safe to use while gums heal up). Then I moved on to Fixodent Plus which I am still using now. The adhesives hugely helped with the problems I was having.
My dentist told me that I would have to wait 2 years for a reline at the fitting appointment which seemed an awfully long time to me but I recently had the dentist call to rearrange my check up and upon hearing how loose my denture now is I have a reline booked next month and I can't wait!

Back