• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Root canal advice

I

Ice-princess

Hi, could anyone tell me about root canal treatment?

How long does the procedure take?

Thanks,

Ice-princess

Last edited:
Hey Iceprincess

When I had my root canal done I think it was about a hour and half, but that was for everything all four canals and a temp filling I had to return back a week later for a 15 Minute appointment just to have the filling changed. That was also on my back,top molar, the procedure was not that bad. The pain was non existent in the tooth and the majority of the time all I needed to do was relax and communicate with the dentist if I felt anything that was uncomfortable. Depending on the teeth that are being done I would say the front ones without question should NOT be removed for obvious reasons. Back molars will play an important role too. I had my root canal done when I was 15. The tooth has been fine for about 2 years now and I haven't had any problems around the gum area and although an extraction would have been easier I am happy that I had the root canal completed. There was some mild pain for about 2 weeks after if I chewed on the tooth directly but that faded away and has been gone ever since. Hope this helps!!

Hi Ice Princess

You should always try to save your teeth if possible. Sedation can be an excellent option and really calm the anxiety response. Root Canals got a bad reputation over 25 years ago when they were first being done and were rare. This was because the procedure took multiple appointments and the techniques were rather new.

Today, a RC is about as easy as a filling. You will not feel any pain and the procedure is relatively quick. Thousands of these are done everyday and they are a very common procedure. You should have no problems.

What kind of sedation are they offering?

Blessings. :)

I am so afraid of needles! A Dr. told me that if I liked them he'd be worried. I do not get Novacaine for fillings. I have to have a root canal this coming Wednesday and on a Friday night I am crying. I have not been offered any pre- treatment meds. The anxiety that I feel beforehand is sky high. My dentist used to do root canals but now "sends them out" as it was put. :scared:

Hi Needlephoebic:

Needle phobia is very common. The good news is in a dental setting there are a variety of things that can help. The numbing gels can render the gum tissue totally numb and you do not feel the administration of the anesthetic.

If you want some help and suggestions I will be happy to supply what I can, PM me.

You can do this. The fear does not need to rule and rob your quality of life. Believe in yourself and your abilities. You are much stronger than you believe. You are not the sum total of your fear. You are confronting the fear which is the bravest and wisest thing you can do. Be very proud of yourself. You will have victory.

Blessings to you. :):)

Welcome, Needlephobic. :) Your username certainly=me and for sure was me until my first root canal treatment! I, too, had a few minor fillings done without LA, but then neglected for 3 years to have one taken care of and horribly that choice led to my needing a rc! Thankfully prior to my first rct visit, I discovered this amazing forum and for the first time in my life learned of the numbing gel. I had known there was a topical cream for medical shots but never dreamed of something similar for dental ones. For whatever reason my former dentist had never told me about it nor did I have the courage to simply ask if there wasn't a way to prevent the shot from being painful.

As Stress Doc said (he assured me of this many times though lol I didn't believe him or that it was possible until experiencing firsthand) :redface: when applied properly and given a few minutes to work, the numbing gel is one miraculous invention! If I had not been absolutely stunned at how 100% it (along with the slow injection technique of my dentist) worked before that first rct, I probably would have immediately hugged the stuffing out of dentist in sheer gratitude! Honestly, did not even feel the needle glide in. It's truly possible.

You will be amazed. I wish you all good luck, look forward to reading your success story. :)

Mona

Thanks guys for all the advice, and to needle phobic, i am also afraid of needles but the dentist also used a numbing gel on my gum before i had my filling and i honestly could not feel anything except maybe a very very very light presure, i will not be afraid to have a needle next time. Dont look at it whatever you do though because this will just make things worse! either close ur eyes or totally look away! Honestly, if i can do it anyone can!!!!!
Good luck, even thought u wont need it! let us know how it went.

Ice-princess:thumbsup:

Welcome and all the best to you, too, Ice Princess. :) Lol, I sure second your words about trying not to look at the needle! Also, what really helped get me through the first injection was being able to hold the hand of the dental assistant. Though, I might have "hurt" her doing so, I was so panicked! As the cliche says having a friendly human touch, truly did help calm me down enough/helped me feel brave enough though at the time I was feeling anything but brave, to allow the dentist to proceed. It was embarassing for me to ask, especially :redface: as at that time I did not even know the name of the very nice assistant, but was glad I did. Just a suggestion.

:grouphug:To you both.

Mona

Back