• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lots of work in 1 sitting

N

nervousninny

On Aug. 12 I am scheduled to have multiple root canals and crowns, fillings, and extractions done. When I first saw the treatment plan I thought about how when I was a kid, they would only do one side at a time. Why is it that they are doing my whole mouth in one day? I am not being sedated, simply because I do not want to let anyone else know how severe my dental problems are. Has anyone else had this experience?

Why can't your treatment be split up into smaller amounts per visit. Perhaps just one or two fillings per visit - certainly one root canal per visit. I could never go through the amount of treatment you are going to have in one visit. I know you may find it difficult to speak to your friends about this but I am sure they will understand.

Personally, I would go for sedation. My dentist told me they would never tell the person picking me up what was being done.

My mum has absolutely perfect teeth but when she had an extraction she had to have it with sedation.

You could go for sedation without revealing the full extent of work being done as that is irrevelent to your friend/family.

I've been sedated twice now, my husband knows they're doing a lot of extractions, but I still haven't told him just how many. He is just happy that I am finally fixing my "secret".

I can't imagine them doing all that work in one go without any sedation. Usually they do that much work at once because you are out and it's easiest for you and them to do it all at once while you're sedated than have to drag you back in every couple months for a drawn out treatment plan. That's what I wanted to do, and I had quite a bit of extensive work done this way. It's a little rough on my mouth to have it all done at once, but on the other hand I only have to do it once and my mouth has all this time to heal from it.

As for you, though, if you don't want to be sedated why can't they do your treatment slower? Surely you can call your dentist and arrange to have your treatment broken up into bits? There's just no reason to do all that at once unless it's all emergency stuff and you plan to be out of it for awhile. Anyway, good luck! You shouldn't have to have everything done at once if you don't want to!

Just to say that if you feel it's too much then ask the dentist to split it up. Having too much work done when I was younger (5 fillings and extractions) was what lead to 20 plus years of dental phobia!

You are in control, so if it really feels too much just talk to your dentist - they will understand.

Perhaps giving them a call to discuss it before the appointment would be a good idea and might settle your nerves?

Hi, I understand about getting everything done all at one time but honestly the fact I have had multiple appointments for treatments has worked out pretty well. I would have loved to get it all done at one time but my dentist doesn't like to do too much at one time. We work on one side of the mouth and then I have the other side to eat with and vice versa while the side worked on recovers.
It's all a matter of choice and what will work and make you feel comfortable.