• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Extraction

I

Ice-princess

Hi again everyone, im so sorry to start ANOTHER thread but im really not having a good time with my teeth this weekend.

I think Ill be having the tooth out on monday and theyre not going to sedate me because i havent had my sedation assesment yet so im guessing im having an extraction just with local anasthethic. :scared:

someone please put my mind at rest who has been through an extraction with no sedation. please give me some advice!

I know its best to keep your own teeth whenever possible but im in so much pain now that the tooth is going to have to go :(

someone please tell me what its like to have a tooth extracted just with local

thanks

Ice-princess:cry:

Last edited:
A fair bit of pressure but no pain aside from a couple twinges (little ones) when he put in the local, and even those wouldn't have happened if he'd left the gel on longer -- make sure they leave it for a couple of minutes. That's what it was like for me. I had an upper #2 out a bit over a month ago and while I was definitely scared, overall the experience was more weird than anything else. He had me number than I've ever been, which was greatly appreciated!

I walked in like this: :scared: and walked out like this: :cloud9:. And I was back at work after two days off.

Hi Ice princess:

I am sorry that your teeth are giving you such pain, my heart goes out to you.

I have had a wisdom tooth extracted and another with a deep filling that cracked down to the root. These were done with LA only.

The procedure was not painful or uncomfortable at all. I can walk you through the basics.

A numbing gel is put on a cotton swab and the swab is put on the gums and left there for 3-4 minutes. The one I had tasted a bit like coconut or pina colda, not bad. This numbed the area.

The LA was administered, this only took about 30 seconds and I did not feel any pain or pressure. There was a wait of about 10-15 minutes to allow the LA to take full effect. The dentist then checked the area for "Blanching" by pushing on the gums. This lets him know that the anesthetic has taken full effect.

The tooth was then removed. Contrary to the term. The tooth is not "pulled" or "yanked." It is gently elevated and removed. You will not feel any pain just a bit of pressure. The extraction process took less than a minute.

The area was packed with gauze. I was given extra gauze to take home to replace the gauze the dentist put in. I did not take any pain meds that day. I think I took one ibuprofen the next day and did some salt water rinses.

There were zero problem and the area healed well. The pain you are experiencing right now is 10,000 times more than you will ever have during the extraction process. It was very easy and will give you great relief. Having extractions under LA was easy and comfortable.

You will do great.

I hope your pain subsides and you can get some rest.

Blessings and peace to you. :)

No pain what so ever, a little pressure some interesting noises but other than that no problems.

I had one out at 15 years old (now 21), didnt feel anything apart from a little pressure, nothing scary. When it was done, i was suprised that i had no pain, i didnt even have to take pain killers after the procedure, you will be fine just relax and keep calm, panicking (i know its an easy thing to say) makes it worse

Last edited:
Well I had 6 extractions, including three molars, under LA last year. I was pretty worried about it beforehand but it was a breeze. Seemed to be over in about 5 minutes. Obviously there was a bit of bleeding at first and I was chewing on gauze when I left the surgery. They gave me an extra couple of packets for later but I never used those, nor did I use the painkillers they suggested I use if it got sore, because it didn't.

All that being said, I hope they can save your tooth. Give it up only if it is hopeless! :)

hey
I had a 4 teeth needed to be taken out I had 3 teeth with iv ( not good but that was the surgeons fault) and 1 with my lovely kind dentist. The one I had out with just la was so quick and painless it was amazing honestly if i needed another out I know now I could do it. The injection was totally painless he gave me 3 to make absolutely sure it was numb. This tooth had been bad for 9 yrs and had caused me many a sleepless night I can tell you !! Then he got a sort of metal lever and seperated the gum from all round the tooth. Then he wriggled the tooth and in about less than 30 secs I heard a faint click that was it no horror story nothing. Honestly you will be fine also the pain can be useful in a way because it drives you to take action thats how my dental journey started pain that I could no longer stand think about the pain and remember having it out will take seconds then there wont be any more pain !!!!
Love and hugs
Emma

Well I had 6 teeth extracted plus my wisdom teeth and honestly for me it was less pain than a normal filling getting done. I was so numb I did not feel any pain whatsoever.

I hope this finds you much relieved and pain-free. :cheers:

Hi everyone, i cant thank you enough for you replies, i certainly went to the dentist more relaxed thinking about the extraction, well turns out i couldnt have the extraction today because i have an infection, , so im on antibiotics to clear up the infection because the local anasthetic wont work while the infections there, but all you replies have made me think that maybe i dont need sedation for the extraction, but after the pain ive been in over the past couple of days if shed have said i could have the extraction today i would have said yes there and then!

thanks againn everyone:)

Last edited:
Back