• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ill fitting partial denture

S

sunflower020

Hello

Yesterday I had my front tooth removed by my NHS dentist which was previously crowned & a partial denture fitted to replace this tooth and also another tooth previously removed (1 next to canine). Once the denture was fitted & my mouth was no longer numb I realised the plate does not fit properly every time I bite the side tooth fits properly but the front tooth pops out & there is also a lot of rocking from the plate.

I went back to the dentist later in the day (which for me to go twice in 1 day I must have been desperate:cry:) & I was basically told that the plate had been made to fit my mouth and was sent home with a tube of polygrip and told there was nothing else that could be done unless I was willing to pay for implant to replace the missing teeth.

I have tried using the polygrip and to be fair it does help keep the teeth more stable but because of the rocking caused by the plate everytime it rocks the plate pulls the polygrip which in turn pulls the roof of my mouth which is now very sore and I don't know what else to do.

I really want implants but I have had such bad experiences at the dentists so far I am tempted never to return as all they want to do is hurt and make the situation much worse. Before my check up with this dentist I was in no pain and since then I have had 11 fillings, 3 teeth removed & due to have my wisdom teeth removed too:cry:.

Is there anyway I can get this denture more comfortable without requiring more butchery to my mouth?

Thank you in advance

sflower

If you can wait a bit, things may well improve, there's usually a bit of swelling immediately after an extraction which will make the denture feel a bit odd. If you try to persevere a bit longer then your mouth will sort of mold itself to the denture a bit and it'll feel a bit better.

Thank you.

I really hope it does I like the idea of no further treatment!!!!

Any suggestions for if it doesn,t get better & how long I should wait?

sflower

Hard to say without seeing it/you a couple of weeks at most. If it's still rocking and rolling then a reline might help, but it's hard to say for sure without seeing.

Back