• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

crowns tommorrow :-/

S

satcfan

i am getting my two rct back molar and premolar crowned tommorow. well all the prep work etc. he said it would take around two hours to prep the both teeth but no anasthetic as theres no nerve in the tooth. i'm dreading it!! anyone have this done?? was it sore? eek...very nervous.

Just had a crown done and another one will happen this Thursday. I on the other hand did not have rct in them. I was numbed up for it and its just a lot of molds of your teeth and preparing. For me, it wasn't painful at all just a pain in the fact I had to be there for so long with so much prep. Take some good music with you if you can because it will help pass time. I am sure if you do feel some things and you let them know they will give you some numbing gel at the very least.

I have had crowns done both on non-rct treated teeth and rct treated teeth. Really no difference, just didn't have to fret about the injections for the latter;) The worst part was the time it took. I was nervous about the thought of working on a tooth without numbing, but my dentist reassured me and said if I felt any discomfort he would stop. Just knowing that made things easier, but no need to stop, as I felt no pain.;D

well i got one tooth prepped and a temp crown put on today. i am still shaking...to be honest it was very very sore. i screamed at one stage it was so bad and cried and made a complete fool of myself, but i don't care because it was agony. and i have been through root canals etc which are totally ok. jees i didn't expect it to be that sore..maybe uncomfortable etc but not agony. i'm TERRIFED of getting the other tooth prepped now. whoever says that modern dentistry is pain free must be just saying it to get us in the door!! i have gone from being terified and needing iv sedation to being able to go to the dentist unsedated but i'd never lie and tell someone its pain free, its very very painful but better for you in the long run i guess. so scared of next time :(

So sorry to hear that you experienced such pain. I am surprised the dentist did not offer you anything after you told them you could feel it. The good news is you made it thru it even though not as pleasant as you had hoped. I hope you feel better soon..

YIKES...I have my crown prep tomorrow...

you'll be grand i'd say because you'll be totally numbed up. i didnt get any injection as he said the nerve in the tooth was dead. the next tooth i am going to demand the tooth be numbed like as if i was getting a filling etc. if i had been numb the whole crown thing would have been a doddle i'd say. good luck xx

you'll be grand i'd say because you'll be totally numbed up. i didnt get any injection as he said the nerve in the tooth was dead. the next tooth i am going to demand the tooth be numbed like as if i was getting a filling etc. if i had been numb the whole crown thing would have been a doddle i'd say. good luck xx
What!!!! Don't ever let a dentist tell you , you don't need an injection for anything (unless it's a cleaning) ! I think I'd find a new one. :XXLhug:

Always remember to talk to your dentist before hand. I haven't done my crowns yet but personally I would feel better being numb for them.

I'm sure he'll suggest not getting LA so we can make sure the bite is right. And I may go with that suggestion. But it will be on the stipulation that at any time I say to stop, he does and gives me LA.

That would make me feel more comfortable and that should be what he / she wants for you as their patient.

Good luck on the next one and make sure to talk with them about the LA. :)

well just to update i got the second crown prep done, with local anesthetic - it was much much better. obviously its a bit uncomfortable having your mouth hanging open for 2 and a half hours but not painful at all this time! i'm really delighted with myself :) going to get the two permanant crowns now in another few weeks, and then i'll be all done, yipee!

olivac - just wondering how you got on? hope it all went ok :)

Hi there,

Glad the 2nd crown prep was better for you. I had my second crown prep and for me it was a bit more painful and little bit more after pain. I can now say after 2 weeks it has calmed down with pain. This coming Thursday on September 10th I get my permanent one. I cannot wait until the whole ordeal is over.

How are your temp crown holding up for you?

ya, well i guess its definitely not surprising to have some after pain, they sure do a lot of rooting and stuff at the gums etc!! mine is the same, a bit painful but nothing too bad either. glad to hear your pain is easing off now anyway. you'll be delighted when the permanent one is in place and it will be all over! my temporary crowns are grand, feel very comfortable with the bite etc, i'm not eating on that side yet as they are sore from the work but in another few days that will be ok i expect. can't wait to have the permanent ones in and have a break from the dentist! can you believe last November or so i was so afraid of the dentist i had to travel to a dentist that did iv sedation, and hadn't been to any dentist for over 10 years! what a difference a year makes eh?! so just to anyone reading you can definitely get over this phobia - i thought it was impossible but it isn't insurmountable :) best of luck olivacs

Back