• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Feeling Hopeful!

S

Shoe Lover

So, I found a dentist in my area (ok, like 45 minutes away, but close enough) whose website is really promising. I sent them an email(which, thanks to antsy fingers, was full of typos), and...

I got the NICEST response back!! Their office manager wrote a long, lovely letter about how they would love to meet with me, and promised we could just talk in an office (not, like, a medical room) so I could be comfortable. She was very reassuring :)

So, yea! Happy news!

Great job! A huge first step in the right direction!!!

Ok...so I haven't posted in a bit, mainly because I'm a teacher and the first week of school is a crazy whirlwind of teenage angst (7th grade) and obscene loads of paperwork...but I digress.

I finally called the office of the nice dentist. His receptionist also happens to be his wife of 48 years, and I figure any guy that can live and work with his wife that long must be pretty understanding to begin with :) Anyways, she was very kind, even though I was very hesitant and nervous on the phone, and very helpful. I have an appointment on the 19th, EEK, but just to talk.

I also emailed the dentist a letter of my history and why I have serious fear issues. I explained how I'd had a bad dental experience as a child, and had been anxious even before then. I also explained that I feel fearful a lot of times if I am am alone in a room with an older man; I was sexually assaulted by a man three times my age as a teenager, and ever since I have a hard time just being around older men, even if they are kind, gentle people. His response was SO positive; he also assured me that unless I give him the go-ahead, there will ALWAYS be another woman, either his wife or the hygeniest, with me at all times. He also assured me that for a first visit we can just talk. I'm nervous, but I figure I should be ok with talking, especially if it involves a nice comfy office, rather than a medical setting.

I'm still having a lot of anxiety whenever I think about the appointment, though. It plays on my mind a lot at night, and I've had a few (mild) panic attacks just lying in bed, trying to sleep, because I envision alll sorts of things happening.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to keep this from happening.

Hi, Thats great news, congrats on getting ur appointment. I had mine about 2 weeks ago, just for a chat although mine was in the dental room, barely sat on the chair and cried my heart out just talking lol! I have my next appointment around the same time as yours, although this is just for a checkup as my dentist said we can take it at my pace. :) thank god! But i do take anxiety attacks which cause me to faint. Basically i get worked up and pass out as I find it hard to calm myself down. Stress Doc sent me a breathing exercise which I put on my ipod and listened to it every night before I went to bed. But mainly talking myself around and preparing myself for the whole experience. And that this is an everyday thing. They are there to help, I couldnt beleive how much it has all changed, still very hard to believe. Just think to yourself this is just a chat, thats all, you are in control of it all. You will be fine!! :) I sound so confident I could laugh at myself because I am a complete mess but every little step counts for something.

I can pm you the breathing exercise if you want.
Good luck with your appointment!

Thank you Faint!!

I would greatly appreciate the download...it sounds like we have the same problem; I also get so scared I hyperventilate and pass out. I've tried to learn breathing techniques, but once I'm that worked up, I feel like I just forget everything.

Thank you!!!