• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate dentures and learning to talk

SALLY.....I keep saying I wish it was over and done with :) I keep looking forward to the final outcome.."The Ability To Smile". I have never ever period allowed anyone to take pictures of me for just that fact. Now I'll smile and never stop :)
The 18th is not far off..I am thinking right now that when the time comes for me to take the xanax he gave me I'll not do it cause I am feeling pretty good about things..I hope LOL We shall see tho.
Tonight I got me some yogart..gooooooooooooooood lord almighty!!!!!!! that crap tastes like crap LOL Figured I'd get me just one to see if I can deal with it in the days to come..FORGET IT!!!! :sick: Got me some ensure and put in the fridge to real cold when the times that I want something. Boy is the eating thing gonna be new..sure hope swallowing aint gonna be to tough or I'm gonna have to get me crusher for whatever pain reliever.
Gotta take my lil gson to the dentist Thursday...every month we go and when he's laying down I think to myself gee if that child can do it I know I can..but he's orally sedated too LOL..I love it cause every once in while he'll stir and raise his little hand and say to the tech or doctor..."HEY, I LIKE YOU"
:ROFLMAO: He is gma's inspiration too..
Ok shutting up for the moment
Marcelle

CELLE....Your grandson sounds adorable. YES....he should be an inspiration to you right now! My unsolicited advice here....take the xanax if it's available. You really don't want to risk not taking it and then backing out of going thru with the procedure because you're nervous. I didn't really like the idea of taking the Halcion but I'm glad I did take it. It didn't knock me out but it definitely kept me relaxed enough to stay in that chair. YOGURT????? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....I can't stand the stuff! I got by on Ensure, SlimFast, and soups.....sugar free jello pudding topped with lite cool whip instead of yogurt for me...:)

Sally

Nosmokin2....laughing myself silly here. My lil grandson is just about 10yrs old and is mildly autistic and dev. delayed..speech and lang impaired..fine and gross motor delayed..sensory integration disorder and mild MR. When doc medicates him its with demerol and atarax. He loves the happy gas and we call him the gas junky LOL Doctor has all kinds of flavors of gas and he leans toward the bubble gum :)
The first he never went out but he laid there like a trooper..then the second time he was a gonner..in and out. He's had teeth pulled..fillings so far. We go again on the 3rd. I sat by him while the dentist gave him shots galore and I nearly had a fit..but he never saw the needles..he was already feeling to good and besides that, doc never let him see..he lays on an exam table with the happy gas on his nose and wears sunglasses and watches the tv in the ceiling..the first time he went so far as to kick off his shoes LOL...he's brave and here is ole gma scared..
So you think I should go ahead and take the med huh..I know I take one at bedtime the nite before and then the last one the day of the oral surgery.
I just don't wanna be so knocked out that hubby will have to wheel me in LOL..I am soooooooooooo susceptable/sp to medicine. Heck I cant take benedryl without being knocked out for two days..no joke :) When I had my hysty I was so anemic that I had depleted my iron and had to be given iron transfusion and they made me take benedryl via IV and I begged and pleaded not to but they said iron would make me itch like mad..well they did and I was out for two days..hubby said they were really worried but he said its just that it does not take much to affect me in some form or fashion LOL.
Hmmm gson ate all that yogurt..LOL..I got the whipped kind and strawberry flavor at that..
I hate milk...I hate choc milk..lord whats that Ensure gonna do to me..yeah I am lactose intolerant.

Ohhhhh I have one giant bigggggggggggg vise..I am a nail bitter..bad habit I know but have done it all my life..I bet I'll not be able to bite them when I get the dentures??? Hubby will love and I will stress out LOL
Big hugs
Marcelle

Ohhhhh I have one giant bigggggggggggg vise..I am a nail bitter..bad habit I know but have done it all my life..I bet I'll not be able to bite them when I get the dentures??? Hubby will love and I will stress out LOL
Big hugs
Marcelle

Sorry, Marcelle, but I'm afraid your nail-biting days may be coming to an end. Perhaps not, considering you're getting implants on the lowers, but you'll probably still have trouble biting at first until you can use adhesive on the uppers. When you go to bite down, the back of the upper denture will tend to pull loose. If you're really good at it, you'll figure out a way around it, though. ;)

CIELO...oh where are the valiums..I am good but not that good. :)
Oh man something else to deal with...I'm gonna just stroke out LOL
Well at least I will have nice fingers and great mouth..(I am just laughing myself silly here)
Change..sooooooooo much change LOL
Marcelle

LOL... I hope you can stand to lose a few pounds, too! At least you're able to look at the bright side. That's a definite plus!

I've never been a nail-biter, so I can't commiserate there. I did notice a hang nail the other day and automatically tried to nip it off. I had forgotten I had my lower denture out, so you can imagine my surprise! :whistle:

Cielo....As it stands thats one of the bright sides for me..weight loss!!!! I have several pounds..hmmmm 50ish or more. I am tall so I can get by with being heavy..sorta :) My PCP will like the idea of weight loss LOL
My one bad vise..nail bitting..talk about a dilema and maybe some frustration..guess it'll be time to see my PCP LOL guess I better start buying up nail files.
Me thinks I am getting a sore throat :( I sure hope not cause I dont want anything to mess up my appointment.
Marcelle

I'm sure you'll be able to at least nibble at your nails. If you're into the ripping and tearing, that might have to wait. :p

You reminded me of a friend I went to high school with. He was an avid nail biter, and to help hide it, he'd swallow the nails he bit off. He went to the hospital shortly after high school due to terrible abdominal pain... yup, it was the nails he'd eaten that had all balled up and formed a stone. Poor guy had to have surgery to remove it. It sounds like an urban legend, and I would have assumed stomach acid would have dissolved the nails, but for some reason it didn't.

I'm sorry about the sore throat. Hopefully it'll feel better in the morning. I've yet to have a dentist appointment put off for less than the flu or a really bad cough, but hopefully you'll feel tip-top by your appointment.

CIELO...ewwwwwwwwwww swallowed his nails..naw I dont go that far LOL I just bite to the quick and and spit out in garbage :) I can remember some of the stuff my parents tried on me guaranteed to stop the bitting..hmmm didn't know me LOL..i bit and bit happily LOL Daddy used to spank me but that didnt work either..just nothing could make me stop but looks like after 55yrs something is going to...DENTURES!!!!
I knew a child that swallowed gum all the time and ended up with surgery..I always thought nothing could get past the stomach acid but I guess not.
Marcelle

Hi everyone thanks to all I've read posts and it does make me feel better that I am going through normal procedures I had my surgery and full dentures done Wed June 13 and still am practicing certain letters it seems the slower I talk the better I do. The Dentist had to make a second impression of my bottom teeth and I think when he did the suction when he pulled out the mold caused a couple dry sockets (ouch) so I'm still on cottage cheese soft mushy pancakes and lots of protein drinks. My question is did anyone feel like when they talk especially the "s,sh" sounds that the bottom teeth protrude way past the upper teeth to pronounce properly. It seems so unnatural I'm just wondering if they got the bite wrong and I have to have new bottoms made. I hope this questions makes sense, if anyone has experienced it or is it part of the process. Funny I was reading about the nail bitters and I am one of them I bite the sides of my fingers by the nail and yes it's over now. No can do anymore. Thanks to all again I've enjoyed all posts and I will be glad one day in the near future (hopefully) that I had it done I can smile again it's been a long time. ;D

I have so many questions I don't know where to start. My lower ones constantly feel like they are floating. That's the only word I can use to describe. I had them done Sat. I go back today. I am so scared even for him to touch them. Also, don't hate me please, I am a small women and not eating is a big issue. I think because of the saliva it makes me nauseous to drink anything. Slim fast and yogurt is what I have tried. I just can't drink much. Does anyone have a solution. Also, do you feel like the top ones are too thick? The roof of my mouth is a struggle!

Back