Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Immediate dentures...leave in or out at night???

Default Immediate dentures...leave in or out at night???

Grrrrrrr....my immediate dentures have loosened up already after the first soft liner was put on. Dentist told me to keep them in 24/7 for at least 5 weeks. My gums must be changing fast because I just had the soft liner done less than a week ago. Most nights I wake up and find my lowers laying next to me on the mattress. And when I do manage to keep them in all night, I find that I've bitten/chewed on my tongue to the point that it's sore the following day. Is it true you can choke on the lowers if they are too loose??? I don't go in for another soft liner for another five weeks yet. Any way they can adjust the lowers just to tighten them up a bit?

nosmokin2

Default Re: Immediate dentures...leave in or out at night???

Hi there, I have an immediate lower partial and was told that it should always be left out at night to rest the gums. I am wondering if the fact you are leaving them in all the time is making it not fit properly. I know by days end for me they tend to sink in and therefore making it a bit painful, loose, and uncomfortable. By taking them out at night come morning they fit just right like they are supposed to. I have had two soft relines done. the first one lasted 9 weeks and the second...well I still have that one.

Try leaving it off at night and see if things improve.

I just asked my dentist the same question today, Nosmokin! I was told that I should be taking mine out at night for the very reason Olivacs mentioned... your gums will expand at night and make your dentures more snug when you replace them in the morning. I was told it was like taking jeans out of the dryer; when you first put them on they're snug but as the day wears on, they get looser. Soaking your dentures overnight is like putting your jeans in the dryer. Only it's your gums that change, not the dentures. I'd been leaving mine in most of the last 12 days, but went without a couple times. I felt guilty for leaving them out.

As for choking on your dentures, you'd have to have a REALLY big throat. I doubt anybody has ever had that happen with a full denture. People with epilepsy can wear dentures, and if they were a choking hazard, I wouldn't think they'd be safe?

You should be able to go back in for another reline before your next appointment. My dentist told me today I can come in any time for an adjustment. I just had one today and go back on the 3rd for another. They said I could come in sooner if I wanted.
      Last edited by Cielo; 25th August 2009 at 01:34. Reason: Because I forgot where I was.

Thanks Olivacs and Cielo! I called the dentist right after I posted here. They told me to leave the lower deck out at night. I'll be seeing the dentist this Wednesday morning for an adjustment. They'll probably add some more of the soft liner. I woke up with a start at 6 am this morning when I had bitten down hard on my tongue...ouch!! At least I won't have to worry about that happening again for at least two nights.

nosmokin2

Yay for adjustments! I wish my dad had known he could go in for relining and rebasing. He suffered for decades with ill-fitting dentures, and I remember wishing there was something he could do to be more comfortable. I didn't have a clue about any of it.

I'd like to find some of that reline stuff they mix up. You could patch a tire with that stuff!

I'm getting soooooo discouraged today because of the loose lowers. Having a hard time chewing and I was doing so well. Just finished toast (again) and the lower just kept moving around. All the movement is irritating the extraction sites that much more and they were healing so well....I feel like I'm back to square one all over again....

nosmokin2

Please don't get discouraged. My lower that I have does that a lot to me and it takes getting used to. I bet you will notice a huge difference when you remove them at night and let your gums rest instead of wearing them all of the time. The looseness will not be as bad as you experience now.
      Hang in there...it gets better!

ugh...I'm sitting here with just the uppers in and the lowers soaking for the night like the dentist advised. I don't think I'll get much sleep with just the uppers in.....it's a strange feeling that is almost making me gag. Think I'll lay down and watch a movie before I decide....but I have a feeling that I'll be popping those lowers back in before I lay down for the night....

nosmokin2

I hope you were able to leave the lowers out last night? It's an awful feeling at first, Nosmokin, but it's not long before you get used to it. I prefer to keep at least the uppers in at night, but my dentist said not to any more.

Did you ask about using an adhesive with the soft liner? I was given the go-ahead to use it starting today. I'm a little apprehensive, though. More fear of the unknown.

I did leave the lowers out last night and slept ok after taking a pain pill. Gums were pretty sensitive and swollen this morning but not for long. Lowers are once again dancing around and I had a hard time chewing toast. Uppers are slipping just a little but I'm hoping they'll do something about that, too since my next appt is 5 weeks away.

Adhesive....I'll ask them AGAIN when I go in tomorrow morning. Dentist said to go ahead and use a dab if needed....assistant that did the liners said NOT to use anything. I'll ask the assistant that actually wears dentures. The lowers are useless if they aren't stable enough to chew with and talk clearly.

I'm noticing really fine 'scratches' here and there in the surface of the denture. I'm using a soft toothbrush and am very careful with them. Can't figure out what's happening with them.

nosmokin2