Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Immediate dentures...leave in or out at night???

Default Re: Immediate dentures...leave in or out at night???

I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm right there with you if it helps? It's nice to be able to compare notes... so many different sets of instruction!

I would imagine the use of adhesives might depend on the type used. Mine are Visco-Gel.

You'll probably find your gums will toughen up faster leaving the denture out at night. Mine did just after a couple nights.

Look really closely at the scratches on your dentures. I thought I had a spot in the finish, but it turned out to be just a little excess liner on the outside of a front tooth. What a relief that was! I sure felt silly when the assistant showed me what it was, though.

I was assured that the acrylic used in the dentures is pretty tough stuff. Abrasives (toothpaste) are to be avoided, but a good brushing with a soft brush is fine. The denture brush I was given seems much harder than the toothbrush I actually use.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. I hope things feel better afterwards.
      Last edited by Cielo; 3rd September 2009 at 22:11. Reason: Corrected brand of liner material.

I agree the gums will toughen up if you leave them out at night. They have to be sore from the constant pressure they had from wearing the dentures so long. I have an acrylic partial called a flipper I guess and the same thing happened to me..thought it was a scratch and it ended up being some of the lining material.

Do you have hooks on the lower ones? If so, see if they can adjust the tightness of the hooks...a little adjustment makes a huge difference.

By the way I am glad I have a cleaning appointment this week because this past Thursday when they were doing molds from my crown a piece pf plaster from the mold got stuck in between the two front teeth of my partial and I CANNOT get it off. It is so annoying and I cannot wait to have them remove it. LOL

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow and let us know how you do..
      Hugs..

Ok....just home from the dentist. He tells me to keep the lowers in at night but that's not going to happen after nearly biting my tongue off! He says I'll bite myself once or twice but it's to be expected. Once was more than enough for me!
      He also told me NOT to use denture paste/adhesive at all. He says I need to 'train' my tongue to keep the lowers in place. Welllllllllllll....I can train my tongue to do a lot of things so I figure I'll keep trying with this until I get the next soft liner done (in 4 and a half weeks). If things don't improve by then, I will start using the adhesive!
      He did thin out the back of the upper plate which has already improved the gaggy feeling I had every time I took out the lowers. But nothing at all was done to the lower plate....because my tongue is in 'training'....I guess... ???
      So that where I'm at right now....still a bit discouraged but determined to make things come together eventually...

nosmokin2

Isn't it odd how we get differing opinions in such a small geographical area? I would have expected it to be more uniform.

I feel for you biting your tongue, but I kind of wish I could bite mine. I can grip it with my teeth, but I can't bite down hard enough to hurt. There just isn't enough strength in my jaw.

My tongue isn't into the whole training thing. It wants to push all this plastic OUT. If you develop any good training techniques, could you pass them on?

They didn't redo the liner for you today? I thought for sure they would with the trouble you were having. Did they have any suggestions as to what to do when your mouth gets sore from the lower plate being loose?

Oh, and what did you find out about the scratches?

Hang in there, Nosmokin. We've still got a loooong road ahead, but I know we can do it.

Hi Cielo! The scratches were apparently from the soft liner goo. They disappear when I scrape gently with my fingernail. No.....no soft liner was added today. Just advised to use my tongue more to hold the lowers in place. I've been looking all over for the powder adhesive (Sea Bond?) but haven't found it yet. Any suggestions? Two dentists in the same office have differing opinions it seems.....a week ago, one of them told me a little adhesive wouldn't hurt. The dentist that actually made the dentures told me not to use the adhesive. He said my gums will eventually toughen up and be less sore. Tongue in training here...
      Sorry to hear you're having a time with chewing and working that jaw!! Hopefully, it will just be a matter of time for that to mend itself.

nosmokin2

Isn't that a relief when the scratches come off?

I found Fixodent Extra Hold powder at the Wal-Mart in Chehalis. Your Wal-Mart should carry it too, I would think. I bought some, but haven't tried it yet. I used the goopy stuff today. I think I saw Sea Bond at Rite Aid, but I'm not positive.

I tried another fruit cup today and was able to eat the whole thing... with chewing! It may not sound like much, but I wasn't able to eat one a week ago.

So, the dentist that made the dentures said not to use the adhesive, but it sounds like it's more to get your tongue trained than fear of damaging the liner, is that how you took it?

Sounds like you're making progress with the chewing. It's going to take time and practice for both of us I think. I'm fixing bbq chicken and ricearoni for the familiy tonight....I'm going to attempt the chicken with a baked tater. Yep....dentist never mentioned a thing about adhesive doing any damage to the liner. So I'm going to give my gums another week or two to toughen up before I try out some of the samples I got in the goodie bag from the dentist. (Now does that make ANY sense?? Samples of goop from someone who advises against using them...LOL!)

nosmokin2

I agree that we sure do get different advice on the dentures being left in or out. My dentist said to leave mine out at least 5-6 hours a day.

I sure emphasize with you both with eating and chewing. I just have a lower partial and I have a hard time chewing anything crunchy. This has been going on since March so as you can see it's not fun. I was able to eat potato chips for the first time yesterday....chewing only on one side though because i have a temp. crown on the other side.

I haven't tried any adhesives..maybe I will ask the dentist tomorrow when I have my cleaning...I sure hope they can clean all my reline material off of my denture too and the plaster molding they used for my impressions for the crown last week. I have a big glob of plaster in between the 2 front teeth and i cannot scrape it off to save my life.

With the adhesive, how hard is it to remove the denture then to clean it?

Nosmokin, (forgive me if I mentioned it already) I made BBQ'd chicken a few nights ago. I was able to eat it (sans lower) after shredding it very small. It was so nice to get some REAL protein!

I got a Fixodent starter kit with the denture cup, a tiny tube of Fixodent, some cleaning tablets (4) and a denture brush. The brush is so stiff I don't think I want to use it on my brand new teeth!

Olivacs, you do give us hope since you're so far ahead. I just never realized how long it would all take. I was just told "It'll be a while..."
      I dont know how hard it is to remove the denture and clean it with the adhesive. I haven't taken it out yet to try. I'll report back after I've gotten that far.

The denture brush is rather stiff I agree. I use a soft head toothbrush and so far so good.

Please do let me know once you take the dentures out on how it went!! Good luck!!