• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate dentures...leave in or out at night???

So how did it go, Cielo?? I have a friend online who says she can't do without the Polygrip. She says she can eat corn on the cob as long as she uses the goop. I take care of the elderly and they rarely use the stuff. That's a good thing because sometimes I have a real hard time getting their teeth out at bedtime.
I also got one of those denture brushes from my dentist but it seems to hard to use on my new teeth. I put it away for now.....never know when I might need it to clean something else.

nosmokin2

When I first felt the denture brush, my very first thought was, "Hey, this would be great to clean around the edges of the sink!" :giggle: I've always used our old toothbrushes all over the house, but this one is industrial strength!

The adhesive thing was a rather surprising ordeal. I had noticed my lower denture was slipping around by mid-afternoon. When it was time to start making dinner, I decided to go ahead and remove the lower plate before I got started. (Just so everyone knows, nobody can tell if my lower plate is in or out unless I tell them. I'm not running around toothless. ;))

I removed the plate which came right out. I expected at least a little trouble cleaning the small dots of goo from the soft liner, but where were they? They were nowhere to be seen on the denture. I opened my mouth, dreading having to scrub the goo from my rear extraction sites... but I couldn't see any! I grabbed a flashlight and had a really good look. Nothing. I felt around with my tongue, and then my finger... STILL nothing!

I must have swallowed the goo. :whistle:

At bedtime I took out the upper. It was still stuck pretty good, but it wiggled loose okay. The goo was right where I'd put it, with none left on my gums. It wasn't real easy to get off the soft liner, but running it under warm water helped. There was still a slight residue left, but I didn't want to risk damaging the liner, so I set them aside to soak in Efferdent. This morning the residue was gone.

I'm not sure what I did wrong on the lower. I followed the directions and made sure the denture was dry. The dots of adhesive were about 3/8" away from the edge, so they likely dissolved? I hadn't eaten or drank anything warm all day, so I don't know why they would. Further experimentation will be necessary before I fully trust the stuff.

I wish they had sample sizes of all the different products. I'd like to compare them all, but I don't want to buy them in full size just to try.

I think I'll copy this to my journal so I can look back and laugh at my fumbling. :giggle:

Maybe the paste dissolves??? I think I'll give it a try tomorrow morning before I leave for work....just a dab on the back of the lowers. My lower gums are healing up much faster since I started leaving the lowers out at night. I don't think a little bit of the adhesive way in the back will hurt them any. My uppers are still pretty snug....they almost feel like a natural part of my mouth now. And talking is getting so much easier again....that is until I go in again (in five weeks) for another layer of the soft liner.... :)

It seems to be getting easier every day... :yay:

nosmokin2

That last sentence is a REAL morale booster! :jump:

I'm guessing you're right about the paste dissolving, but that would make it pretty unreliable for the lowers. I tried four dots today, and so far, so good. I haven't eaten much, though.

I'm starting to like my upper plate, too. It's riding a little high in the very front, but it's still pretty snug. I'm starting to forget it's there!

It's amazing how much healing goes on at night with the denture out, isn't it? SO much faster. And no biting your tongue, either. :giggle:

Well....I'm going to try the goop today for the first time Wish me luck! It's going to be a long work day so this is the day to put it to the test.

Sally

Good luck, Sally! It seems like a much bigger step than the adhesive commercials let on to, doesn't it?

Mine did better yesterday, but I can see where it would need to be re-applied for meals or for a long day out. At least with the particular brand I've tried so far.

oh no....I used the sample of Super Polygrip...bright pink in color. It felt like it was holding quite well but I wanted to rinse my mouth good right after breakfast....about 5 hours after I had put one small dot on the uppers and a small dot on each end of the lowers. When I took them out after breakfast, there was no sign of the paste. But there was an almost clear thick gel in each area that I had applied the paste. The gel reminded me of the soft liner goo. So I cleaned the gel off really good...looks to me like the paste had softened the soft liner because those areas are now pink (like the plate itself is) rather than the hazy color they were with the soft liner over it. Now I'm afraid to use any more of the polygrip because I'm afraid it will eat away more of the soft liner. Ever hear of this happening???

Sally

Keep rubbing the spots under warm water. Mine reduced to just a slimy film. I then soaked my dentures in Efferdent and it took off the remaining film. No damage was done to the liner.

I think the paste morphs into a gel after a while. They should warn of that on the box!

I know you're working the weekend, Nosmokin, I just wanted to pop in and see how you were doing with the adhesive. I got brave and used more of it yesterday. It's a pain to get it all out, but the soaking tablets do a good job of getting the leftover residue off. Still no change to my soft liner that I can tell.

Hi Cielo! I've only used the adhesive the one time. I think I'll try it again tomorrow morning and put it on a different area of the upper just to see if it changes the soft liner. I was going to message you and ask how you snipped back your soft liner.... ??? My lower right gums are always sore (which is another reason why I'm not eager to try more adhesive yet). I checked the liner in that area of the denture and found a little nub that I though might be irritating the gum. I snipped it with a nail clipper and that helped a little bit. Thinking about taking a nail file to it to smooth it out a little more. My gums would feel a lot better if the lowers weren't so loose. How are YOU doing??? Are you able to eat more now? I ordered pizza for the family the other night....thought I would be able to at least chew small bites of that. Was really disappointed when I couldn't! Moments like that make me want to use the paste....

nosmokin2

I used a pair of really sharp scissors to snip off the lumps. I had to make a clean cut all the way through or the darned stuff would just re-adhere to itself. Amazing product, really.

When I was at the dentist's last week, I told the assitant I'd trimmed it. She showed me how to just grab a nub with my fingernails and pull and twist. She said that was the easiest way to do it, but cutting it was fine, too. She said to make whatever alterations I wanted as they could fix it again if I went too far. So far I haven't had any problems with the new liner.

I'm finally starting to get along with my new teeth. I'm going to update my journal as soon as I have time. I still can't chew worth a darn, so I take the lower out for one meal a day (usually dinner) so I can eat something more solid than applesauce.

I'm slowly getting over the speech problem. I still sound like a goof, but I've noticed some improvement the last couple days. It helps if I have adhesive holding the bottom plate because my tongue isn't quite as sore.

I tried powdered adhesive today on just the lower... jury's still out about it. I'll do a comparison of the different types I try in my journal. I found a trial sized tube of Super Poligrip yesterday, so I'll be trying that one, too.

I totally understand your frustration over eating! (or the lack of ability to) Try pizza run through a food processor. I'm not kidding, it's delicious! I bought some frozen pizzas yesterday and my kids (14 and 16) wanted to try it ground up. They LOVED it. I can even eat some with my lowers in! Not that I need to be eating pizza. :rolleyes:

I've been meaning to ask, do your dentures have a name label in them? I'll add that story to my journal, too. I'd never seen it done before, but I read that it's commonplace now. I just wondered with all your experience with the old folks if it's really that common?

Have a great rest of the weekend, Sally.

hmmmmmmmm.....blended pizza??? Don't you have to add a liquid to it as well? I've decided to start using the adhesive DAILY. I'm in a yahoo group and a gal told me her dentist put the adhesive on her dentures the day of surgery. She called my dentist a nitwit....I won't go that far but I guess each dentist is going to have their own opinions. I'm going to do what makes me feel most comfortable and I think using the polygrip to stabelize that lower plate is going to make my gums feel so much better. (I have a sample size of super poly and bought a full size of super polygrip 'food sealer' after reading a review here!) And yes....my name is 'tattooed' onto each denture. It's the only tattoo I'll ever have and I'm proud of it. It's not common at all with the older folks unless they have gotten their dentures in the last few years. Dentist says it's a state law now to have it done. He really laughed and rolled his eyes when I told him some of the stories about aides putting the wrong dentures into the wrong patients mouth...or some of the places Alzheimers patients will hide their dentures......:giggle:

You have a great weekend, too....I'm going shopping to see what fruit is still in season now that I can chew it.

Sally

That's interesting about the "tattoo." I'm just glad they spelled my name right. ;)

My dentist's philosphy is to do whatever I want to be comfortable. He may warn against some things, but it's still left up to me. But then after a couple decades with him, he knows me and my tolerances pretty well.

With the pizza, I run it through the processor while it's still hot. Between the cheese and the sauce, it makes a crumbly, yet gummy texture. The pizzas we used last night were pretty dry, so I added some canned olives. It was just enough moisture to make it more pasty, and I love olives. I can eat the end product without chewing at all. There's a pizza place in town that makes a smoked salmon and cream cheese pizza that's yummy. I want to try grinding that up one of these days. The processor I use is just a cheap little shredder/slicer thing. I've thought about using the blender because it would be faster, but it would probably need more liquid.

Tomorrow I'm thinking about making orange chicken. I'll try putting my portion through the processor and then add the orange sauce. At this rate, I can kiss the hope of losing any more weight good bye. :rolleyes:

Well, I need something filling so I decided that tomorrow (a day OFF!) we're going to my fav restaurant for sausage gravy over toast with scrambled eggs. I'll be using the Polygrip to make sure I can enjoy it to the very last bite.... :)
Sally

ugh...I'm sitting here with just the uppers in and the lowers soaking for the night like the dentist advised. I don't think I'll get much sleep with just the uppers in.....it's a strange feeling that is almost making me gag. Think I'll lay down and watch a movie before I decide....but I have a feeling that I'll be popping those lowers back in before I lay down for the night....:shame:

nosmokin2
My dentist told me to take mine out at night. Both top and bottoms. Said gums needed a break to heal. Mine was done 7/14/2015.been going in for adjustments.They now say I can take the bottoms out and leave top in if I want to. I go in Mon for my first soft feline.
:)

This is my first time here on this site and so glad I found it . My dentist told me to take them out at night. So I have. The goop as I so lovingly call the adhesives were terrible for me. I watched a YouTube video recomending powders so off I went on my quest. I found Fixodent powder and it's so much better than the paste. Lot less mess to clean up at the end of the day and I actually got a better seal, they do not move at all.

This is my first time here on this site and so glad I found it . My dentist told me to take them out at night. So I have. The goop as I so lovingly call the adhesives were terrible for me. I watched a YouTube video recomending powders so off I went on my quest. I found Fixodent powder and it's so much better than the paste. Lot less mess to clean up at the end of the day and I actually got a better seal, they do not move at all.

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

Thank you for this useful information :butterfly:

Back