• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

new here, scared to death!

S

shaneswifey14

Hey guys, I'm new. Ok here's my story, I'm 23 years old, and have not been to a dentist in about 5 years. Bad teeth are hereditary in my family, and I've had 2 pregnancies and lost a lot of calcium. My teeth are horrible. I've got plaque built up on every single one of them, and in the back of them they're turning brown and black and rotting. My tooth beside my front tooth actually chipped today. I need to go to a dentist, but I don't have any insurance, or the money to pay for a dentist. I'm SCARED to death to go to a dentist also. I would definately need to be put to sleep or something, because I have HORRIBLE anxiety! I don't know if there's even any dentists around here that would be willing to look at me...ugh. I don't know what to do!! I'm seriously freaking out. :cry:

boy how I can identify with you. You need to talk to friends and see who they recommend. Heck I saw three dentist till I settled in for the one I am seeing. Know what made me pick this guy...you are going to think I'm crazy but you are not alone in that thought..but I chose him because of his website..yeah his website. His site was so caring and most of all "warm". I gave in and made the call..and I was freaking scared out of my wits..he was really nice and his tech was out of this world nice. He spoke kindly of my problems and my feelings..it was nice to talk before getting at the job at hand. He referred me over to an oral surgeon because giving my anxiety level that being IV sedated would work best for me. I saw the oral surgeon and we talked before diving for the mouth LOL..yep he's in agreement with my dentist..pull all the teeth and put in dentures. Dentures have been delivered to the surgeon now I await the call...I aint callin LOL
Going to a dentist is hard but you will have to put your foot down on yourself and say HEY, lets get this taken care of.
Call and check out our local dentist in your area..talk to friends...heck even talk to your family doctor..I did :)
You can do it..girl if I can I know you can!! Keep me posted...everyone here is sure nice and full of knowledge that will help..keep reading the posts here at the forum..I bet I have read them several times..just for assurance.
Hugs to ya
Marcelle

Hello,

You've already made the first move.. by posting your situation and feelings on here!!!!!:jump: wooohoooo!

For the horrible anxiety you are feeling in seeing a dentist, it is imperative that you find one that YOU are comfortable with. So shop around. Check out their websites, ask friends/ family if they like their dentists, and then take a baby step and ask for a tour of the office, check out the vibe when you are there just walking around or meeting the front office team. TELL them how your anxiety is HORRIBLE. How do they respond? Do you feel comfortable with them? And with this information you've received from doing your 'shopping' you'll be able to choose a dentist and dental team that FEELS RIGHT for YOU. Are they in tune with your fears, your needs, your wants. YOU DESERVE to feel comfortable and safe to have them take care of you.

If you have other concerns, it'd be my pleasure to support you. You have come a long way already by acknowledging that you have teeth that you want to address (vs. denying to yourself that there's a problem) and that you've voiced your concerns here. I honor your courage. We are here to support you as you continue on this journey.

Share with me how else I can help you.

Best,
Dr. Shirley

Hey Shaneswifey14 and Dr Shirley..I heard from my oral surgeon..I am scheduled for Sept 18 at 9am. IV sedation here I come :)
Marcelle