• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

facing it with kindness, thanks to you!

V

vica

Last night it took me more than 6 hours to have the courage to post a thread here
I was absolutely terrified just lookink at words like root, canal, appointment
For the first time in my life I'm having the courage to disclose my 20year secret .
My mouth looks and smell like a trash can and I hate myself for it,
I'm so ashamed. I don't know if I will have the courage to open my mouth to a dentist
I can not even understand why I fear dentist like I do.
I was raised in a very disfuncional enviroment, lots and lots of violence and every kind of abuse
I'v been facing and treating most of my traumas but the dentist one is the worse I have
The dentist I had when I was a child (too many years ago) was like a butcher and I vaguely remember once or twice the tools in my mouth being so hot that gave me blister
Thank for your kindness in starting this forum, and all the people who shares their stories
I do understand somehow that I have to face this trauma with kindness (hard to be kind to myself)
Now that I'm having the courage and support to talk about, I see that the roots of the problem it is much, much deeper than I thought
In any moment today I felt the dispair I did last night. Thanks to you!
I will take one day at time
Thanks, Thanks again!!

Welcome to our group! I see you posted on my journal and I had to say hi.
As you read I have had to have a lot of dental treatment and I have made it thru it all. Coming here is a great start to getting yourself the help you need and more importantly deserve. You have been thru a lot from what I read and I am so sorry to hear that.

Now it is time to do something great for yourself! You deserve to smile and be happy...

I see you live in Michigan...I am in Chicago. PM me if you want to chat because we are not all that far away.

You are exactly where I was last year. Bad breath, horrible taste in mouth, hadn't been for 24 years. I cried at the mere thought of going to the dentist but God was I desparate to sort it out. I broke a tooth which meant I could ignore it no longer.

Dentist number one just scared me so went to dentist number 2. He was lovely - he's actually gorgeous too which helped!

I had a check up, and needed a filling and a clean. I did the whole thing just with a local and it was fine. Teeth are now much improved and breath better too. It has changed my life, simple as that. I am now on the leadership team of a business network - I could NEVER have done that before. I would have been too self conscious to open my mouth.

So - try - if you can to focus on the outcome you want, where fear is gone (or reduced) and you have the smile you want without embarrassment.

You have all of us for support, thinking of you - you can do it.

Back