• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tomorrow is the big day

N

Nae32

Well tomorrow being Thursday in Australia is the day i face the dentist for the first time in 17 years, and until today i had been feeling fine but now that it is so close I am starting to feel awfully scared, I just want it to be over so that i dont feel ashamed anymore.
I dont want to feel any pain and want them to be able to fix my tooth quick. My husband is coming to support me but that doesnt even calm my nerves at the moment.

I am 32 and feel like a big chicken, my 6 year old son is braver than me when it come to the dentist and told me he would come to look after me. I have to be strong and brave and even though I am doing this for myself and to have that beautiful smile I have always wanted I am also doing it for my children as I dont ever want them to have the same fear that i have.

Any encouraging words at this time would be greatly appreciated, this site has already helped me so much even to get this far, i just hope all goes well tomorrow and this time tomorrow I will feel at ease that my appointment is over and i know what needs to be done.
:(

Hi Nae! I was a nervous wreck, too when I went in for my first consultation after putting it off for at least 8 years. The few teeth I had left were in terrible shape and I knew they had to go. I don't think you have to worry about any pain.....xrays and a quick examination will be about it. Hope you can relax a little bit and will post when you're done with it.

Sally

Thank you both for your kind words. I am 7 months pregnant so i doubt they will do much anyway but once i hear what needs to be done i think i will be alot happier and probably a little more at ease. I will post tomorrow after i have been.:)

Good Luck, Nae. :)

Mona

Hi,

Good luck for tomorrow, you will do great, i felt the same before my 1st appointment, and i went in expecting to hear the worst, that nothing could be done to save my teeth, but really all it was, was 2 extractions and one small filling, I say 'all it was' well that was a big deal for me but ive managed one extraction already. Once you get your 1st appointment over with, which for me was the scariest i think it starts to get a little easier! i wasnt even as nervous on the day of my extraction as i was for my 1st appointment! i still cant belive i am now able to come on and tell people ive been to the dentist, i never thought id be on this end, thats why i keep saying how grateful i am for this website, with out it and the kind people on here i would never ever made that 1st app and im so much happier now that i did.

It will be such a relief and a lot of stress off your mind tomorrow when you can come on here to say you did it! it will feel great!

Let us know how you get on!

Ice-princess:thumbsup:

Good luck to you!!

I hope you feel better after your initial appointment. You've taken a very big step and should be very proud!

We're thinking of you today! :grouphug:

Well i did it, I made it through the first appointment.

It wasnt as bad as i had thought it would be but even saying that it wasnt that nice either.

I needed to have my teeth cleaned and once the dentist began i almost jumped through the roof, she had to stop as i couldnt take the pain it was awful.

I have to have 4 fillings in my lower teeth at the back 2 on each side and that will be done once my baby has been born, the dentist decided that she would wait to do the clean then as well as she will have numbed my mouth and the cleaning wont be as painful, in regards to my gum recession she has given me some mouth wash to help get the swelling in my gums down so that the cleaning wont be so bad when i have it done.

I guess the good thing to come out of this is that she will be able to save my teeth, i dont need any teeth pulled and 4 fillings after 17 years isnt to bad i guess.

I feel proud of myself that i have taken that first step and gone to the dentist, i am sure there will still be some nerves there next time but i feel confident in knowing that i can do this, and then once my teeth are in better condition i will have the knowledge that if i can go to the dentist then I can do anything.:jump::jump::jump:

Congratulations on going to the dentist :jump:

You did incredibly well for not having been to the dentists in 17 years and you don't need any extractions:cheers:

So pleased it went well for you! And so good that you only need a few fillings etc, you must be relieved!!

Good to hear things went well for you!:jump:

nosmokin2

:jump:Congrats!! Thank you for letting us know.

Four fillings? That's it? How wonderful is that??

Now you can relax and focus on your new little one. Congratulations!

Big congratulations on being so brave! You should be very proud of yourself.:)