• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

getting dentures at 23 years old

Psssst! Globby!

How're you doing?

I'm sorry you've had such trouble with your mouth.
Sometimes I think dentures would be awesome, never have to worry about a stupid cavity or a rootcanal again!!
Well goodluck! I hope you get your new teeth soon! Just think about how awesome and weird it will be to have a full set of bright white teeth!!

Definatley do before and after pics!!!;D

Hi Globby. Im 23 from the uk and i didnt look after my teeth at all! Infact a little while ago i was walking round with very little teeth left and 1 front tooth (looked funny). I went to the dentist and they advised me that i really need them out and dentures put in the top. which brings me to today (17th august 2010) im recovering from yesterdays bloodbath of a 13 teeth removal and im excited about trying on my new smile.

Basically this post is to thank you for your story, it was interesting to read and very helpfull.

Good luck.:cheers:

Sorry for the thread bump but i'm back.

Sorry, everything went to hell, paid 1,000 towards dentures and thn my insurance decided to renig and not to cover them, so I couldn't afford the rest of the bill.

Until now...kinda...

I finally got dentures yesterday!.. after 2 years of toothlessness, I decided to man up and do what I could afford. A customer at work had told me that he got his dentures done at Affordable Dentures and that they were really nice to him. I had done some previous research on different Affordable Dentures locations and all reviews I saw were horrid.

But, due to having that customer and another older customer who overheard and used a different Affordable Dentures location and having similarly good experience, I decided to go for it. The staff was friendly and understood my fears and trouble with the molding goop and made sure I didn't gag (well, only once, but that was before they could do anything to catch the excess goop.)

My experience... I can smile again!. Now, I will admit, in my opinion, I did get what I paid for for now. due to having a completely uneven body for some reason, my gums are also a bit uneven and therefor, I've noticed that when i have my mouth relaxed and slightly opened, they do look a bit uneven, but I can deal with that. The uppers are holding like a dream after they needed to do a soft lining on it.

The only issue I'm having is the typical learning to chew again (I haven't been able to actually chew any food for over 5 years now, so that's to be expected even moreso than usual), A mild sensation like I might gag here and there (which i think is more psychological than anything), the typical learning to talk issues and finally, the big one. The lower denture.

The lower denture feels great when it's in place and stays there, but i have these seemingly odd "knobs" (as I like to call them) that work great to hold the lower in place without the need for any adhesive, and I think once I learn to properly talk and eat with them, will not get in the way, but at the moment, they kind of scrape on the denture when putting them in or taking them out. Has anyone else ever noticed something like this? The best way I can explain it is that instead of the back lower being more of a U shape, they seem to be more curled at the end of the U causing it to be more like an O chopped off at the top, almost like those metal bracelets that expand a bit to be added on and off on something that is larger than the opening.

I'm thinking that if it continues to be an issue after a week, i'll go ahead and schedule a follow up to look into the issue.

I'll say though, it's scary... This is the first time I've had teeth where you actually see all the teeth and no metal from a retainer or braces in almost a decade and a half!!!!

To those who have been wondering about me and/or worrying from here, I really do apologize for leaving everyone in the dark so much, but the thought of even seeing the word "Dentures" after I had paid $1000 only to find out i'm not getting them now, nor am i getting them for a while was too much to bear.

thank you globby for the advice on singing to get speech back, have been doing this and i seem to be able to do this without gagging, still get alot of spit when i am trying to talk but i can deal with this just about. anyway good luck with everything

Back